Am I starving my child??

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Breastfeeding Past One Year LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 18th, 2006, 09:18 AM
doctormom's Avatar Veteran
Thought I'd be the first to post in the new board.

So I've been nursing DS morning & night since his birthday, which is time that both of us love. BUT, he's been pretty bad about waking up in the middle of the night - it's rare that he actually sleeps through without DH or myself having to go in & renuk him. Sometimes that doesn't even work & it takes up to an hour to rock him back to sleep. Well, last night I was working late so DH gave him a cup of milk instead of my nursing him - he slept all the way through! Last week when I put him to bed he was really fussy, and was up for like an hour, so I gave him a cup of milk then too - he slept all the way through.

So do you think I'm starving him and that's why he keeps waking up in the middle of the night?? I know my supply isn't anything dramatic anymore, but he seems to be content when he's done eating. I don't really want to give him a cup of milk after I nurse him, and I don't really want to give up nursing, but I feel bad thinking that maybe it's my fault he's not getting enough. I've never had to worry about this before so this whole thing is new to me!! Maybe it's just coincidence??? He does occasionally sleep all the way through withOUT cow's milk too. TIA for the help!
October 18th, 2006, 10:26 AM
chlodoll
I dont think you are starving him! He just seems inconsistent with his sleeping. It really could have been coincedence. I would try one more time with the milk and see if he sleeps the night again. If he doesnt then it was probably just a fluke!
October 18th, 2006, 11:04 AM
pattyandthemoos's Avatar Administrator
I don't think you're starving him. He may just have started getting acustomed to eating at that time. I would try doing other comfort measures and see if he goes back to sleep. I don't think this is a hunger issue. I think its more of a comfort thing.

October 18th, 2006, 02:45 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I agree. I think it's more of a comfort thing. At this age....I'm not sure they even NEED anything before bed. I nurse Andrew to sleep, but I know it's all about the comfort and not the milk for him.
October 18th, 2006, 05:23 PM
-Shannon-'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I definitely think you aren't starving him. He is getting nutrition throughout the day so he isn't starving! I have always worried about that myself!

October 18th, 2006, 09:03 PM
Frelle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via ICQ to Frelle Send a message via AIM to Frelle Send a message via Yahoo to Frelle
I think youre doing fine, and I agree with the other ladies here!

Thank you BAM for my signature!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search