Age of Marriage

Forum: Married Life

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree7Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Married Life LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 30th, 2012, 07:47 AM
sfarrow3's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Do you think you married at the "correct" age for yourself? Looking back- do you wish you had done it younger? Older? Waited longer? Or- was your age perfect for you?

July 30th, 2012, 07:53 AM
Mega Super Mommy
That's a tough one because it's different for everyone.

Obviously I married the right guy and this was when the universe brought us together so it must have been right.

BUT I can tell you I wish we'd met each other and done this like 10 years earlier. Mostly because I think I was ready that much earlier, but meeting at the age we did has made for other significant challenges in our lives that may have otherwise been avoided. I'm thinking infertility and balance of responsibility and all that other parenting jazz.

Of course everything is a trade off, and if we had started 10 years earlier, we wouldn't have all that we have financially either.
Blue-Jay likes this.

Check out my BLOGS
Making Lemonade
MonkeyPieForTheWin

July 30th, 2012, 08:45 AM
inyourhonor's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I really don't know. I was 19 when I got married, my husband was 24

Killian Rivers born April 17th at 36 weeks

Killian's Birth Story
July 30th, 2012, 09:12 AM
Blue-Jay's Avatar Jenny
I think we found each other at the exact right moment in each of our lives; 5 years earlier, and neither of us would have been the same person we were when we met and it probably wouldn't have worked out. But like Becky said, I kind of wish we had been at the exact right moment in our lives about 10 years earlier, lol. I am happy with my DH, but I wish we could've had a little more time together before we started having kids, and I wish we were younger so we could be more flexible with each other and our expectations.

July 30th, 2012, 11:13 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I think for us it was perfect timing. People thought that we would divorce a year or so after we married because we were so young (I just turned 18 and he was 19). At times I wish we would have waited a few more years but in all, we did what worked for us.

**Thank you .h00dihoo.this. for my awesome siggy!**
July 30th, 2012, 01:05 PM
Jessimaaka's Avatar Pink in a house of Blue
We've been together since I was 18 and he was 19. We didn't get married until we were 26. I wish we had been able to do it sooner, but I was in post secondary education and then he was very sick and took over a year and a half off work waiting for surgery and then the economy went bad and he couldn't go back to his job. Once we were stable again we got married, but I wish we could have done it a few years earlier. Oh well! We're still going strong so it really doesn't matter.

Jess
DS1: Cameron 8/12/2012
DS2: Levi 3/30/2014
July 30th, 2012, 01:53 PM
i:heart:you's Avatar Super Moderator
I got married at 23 and dh was 27, I think it was the right time for us.

**Thank you Bokkechick for my awesome siggy**
July 30th, 2012, 03:13 PM
Doralovinmomma's Avatar and hell is just a sauna
Send a message via AIM to Doralovinmomma Send a message via Yahoo to Doralovinmomma
i think it was perfect. we did meet earlier in our lives and it didnt work out so clearly we needed to have some time and then come back together

Thank you Niamh for my awesome blinkies!! And Vicki... for my fantastic siggy

July 30th, 2012, 04:13 PM
Frozenoj's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I was 21 when we got married, so it couldn't have been much earlier. I would have been okay with getting married a year or two younger if I had met him a year or two earlier than I did, but it's not a big deal either way. I'm definitely glad we didn't wait longer as I've cherished every moment of being his wife.

Thanks Bokkechick for my wonderful siggy!
TTC Blog
10-21-12
July 30th, 2012, 04:22 PM
Amaranth Dhanya's Avatar aka Hillarie
Send a message via Yahoo to Amaranth Dhanya
Found the right guy when I was just about 30. Wish Id have met him a few years earlier and he wishes the same about meeting me(he was nearly 40 when we met).

But life is life and we met when time was right and thats what matters in the end.
shockandawe likes this.

~My thanks to *Kiliki* for the siggy and Lucy S for the blinkies~
July 30th, 2012, 05:56 PM
MellieB's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
For us it was perfect. We were young by most people's standards but for us it was perfect. We've been married 6.5 years now so I think we're going ok.

Thanks to Claire1979 for the amazing siggy.

Tweet Tweet Facebook Bloggin'

Our Angel Baby on Facebook

July 30th, 2012, 07:30 PM
Lorena26's Avatar ♥ Gio's Mommy ♥
I was pretty close, i thought i'd be married by 25 and i was 26 when we got married so it seemed to work out well enough timing wise. I was 23 when we met and still had grad-school ahead of me...we married before i graduated but it worked out well anyway.

July 31st, 2012, 05:59 AM
Keakie's Avatar Learning to walk in faith
Quote:
Originally Posted by shockandawe View Post
That's a tough one because it's different for everyone.

Obviously I married the right guy and this was when the universe brought us together so it must have been right.

BUT I can tell you I wish we'd met each other and done this like 10 years earlier. Mostly because I think I was ready that much earlier, but meeting at the age we did has made for other significant challenges in our lives that may have otherwise been avoided. I'm thinking infertility and balance of responsibility and all that other parenting jazz.

Of course everything is a trade off, and if we had started 10 years earlier, we wouldn't have all that we have financially either.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue-Jay View Post
I think we found each other at the exact right moment in each of our lives; 5 years earlier, and neither of us would have been the same person we were when we met and it probably wouldn't have worked out. But like Becky said, I kind of wish we had been at the exact right moment in our lives about 10 years earlier, lol. I am happy with my DH, but I wish we could've had a little more time together before we started having kids, and I wish we were younger so we could be more flexible with each other and our expectations.
I agree with both of these. We wish we could have met 10-15 years earlier than we did (except, you know, that I would only age backwards a couple of years for those who don't know, there are 13 years between my dh and I). We also know that we were different people when we were younger and we may not have been ready for each other.

As it stands, we married last year when I was 22. Being married young works for me.
sfarrow3 likes this.

Thank you to Jaidynsmum for our awesome banner and my fabulous siggie!
July 31st, 2012, 06:30 AM
sfarrow3's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think we married at the perfect time for the both of us. We were married when I was 23 and he had just turned 24.

July 31st, 2012, 06:34 AM
*Kiliki*'s Avatar i have absolute power
while i think i totally married the right person....i think we could hve waited a bit longer....to really get to know each other...cause really we didnt have much me and him time before we had kids....he was in the military so always working and i was pregnant 3 months into the relationship...so yeah...we really didnt KNOW each other til years later and things started spiraling downhill...and i think if we waited and took the time to really get to know each other we might have avoided that downward spiral...but who knows!?! it all seemed to work out in the end anyways LOL
sfarrow3 and shockandawe like this.

*Kristy wife to Karl, mom to Raianna(13) Elyse(11) and Helena(6) stepmom to Frankie(16)*
click me!---> Come Join us at Stay At Home Mommies!!! <---click me!
click me!---> Come Join us at Mommy Weightloss and Fitness!!! <---click me!
Request Siggy Here SEE GALLERY HERE Request Banner Siggy Here

July 31st, 2012, 06:54 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Kiliki* View Post
while i think i totally married the right person....i think we could hve waited a bit longer....to really get to know each other...cause really we didnt have much me and him time before we had kids....he was in the military so always working and i was pregnant 3 months into the relationship...so yeah...we really didnt KNOW each other til years later and things started spiraling downhill...and i think if we waited and took the time to really get to know each other we might have avoided that downward spiral...but who knows!?! it all seemed to work out in the end anyways LOL
That's the key right? What I've learned about being married I think is that life will throw you every curve ball it's got in it's pocket. Marriage is about choosing it every day and making it work. Not letting it work for you - so no matter when you choose to do it, or when happened to meet, you have to roll with the punches to work it all out if it's what you both want.
sfarrow3 likes this.

Check out my BLOGS
Making Lemonade
MonkeyPieForTheWin

July 31st, 2012, 05:28 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I got married at 19, dh was 22. And although I think I was plenty young, I'm happy we got married young, I have no regrets 16 years later.
inyourhonor likes this.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search