The In-Laws...

Forum: Married Life

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Married Life LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 2nd, 2012, 10:29 AM
Mega Super Mommy
...do you get along with them? What about brother and sister in laws?

**Thank you .h00dihoo.this. for my awesome siggy!**
August 2nd, 2012, 10:45 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Distance is our friend.
It's not like we come to blows when together, but we're most obviously from different worlds. My MIL and I are like oil and water - we mingle but never mix.

Check out my BLOGS
Making Lemonade
MonkeyPieForTheWin

August 2nd, 2012, 11:15 AM
Keakie's Avatar Learning to walk in faith
I get along fine with my il's. We see them at least once a week. There a few (very minor) things that we don't all see eye to eye on, but there are a lot more (important) things that we do agree on. They're wonderful, loving people and I'm thankful to have them in my life.

Dh only has one brother so I've only got one bil/sil. We spend a little less time with them, but a lot of that is because our schedules don't often (they've got 4 dc and a couple of them play sports, they both work and they both do a lot at our church). We at least see them in passing most weekends at church and they try to come out to my il's for things like birthdays wherever possible. We're still getting to know each other a little bit, but I like them and they're kind people (and they both have a sense of humor, which is nice).

My family loves dh too. We see them A LOT less because, you know, they live about 1000 miles away. I talk to my parents pretty often though, and they consider dh part of the family and enjoy having him around.

*Cautiously and excitedly expecting number two - shhh, if we're friends on Facebook. *

Thank you to Babydoll213 for my fabulous siggie!
August 2nd, 2012, 02:16 PM
Jessimaaka's Avatar Pink in a house of Blue
FIL and his gf are fantastic. All of DH's dad's side is pretty much great.

Most of his mom's side is good....with the exception of his mom and sister. They are a bit nuts. We don't really see eye to eye...they also don't see eye to eye with the rest of the family, or each other, or pretty much anyone. We just smile and nod and move on.

Jess
DS1: Cameron 8/12/2012
DS2: Levi 3/30/2014
August 2nd, 2012, 02:39 PM
sfarrow3's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I tolerate them! I just don't do controlling peopld ugh... I despise my SIL but because she thinks its ok to leach off of everyone!

August 2nd, 2012, 03:12 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I consider them my real family.
August 3rd, 2012, 07:09 AM
Amaranth Dhanya's Avatar aka Hillarie
Send a message via Yahoo to Amaranth Dhanya
Boy this gets complicated so Ill try not to over detail it LOL.

DH's father wasnt a part of his life, abandoned them when DH was small. Found out he died in 2004.
DH's mother died in 1998.

So I never knew either of them. So no issues there LOL.

He was seperated from his 3 younger brothers because of the moms death. We reunited with them in 2009 and that lasted about a year. The one he was closest too(his full blooded brother) moved at the same time we did only they kinda did the middle of the night thing so we dont know where they went and they dont talk to us or the others anymore. Got what they wanted from everyone and then disappeared. Unfortunately that was apparently their norm and never grew out of it.

The other two I talk to rarely on FB. Mostly its commenting on their photos or comments...kwim? We all live in different states so we arent close.

~My thanks to *Kiliki* for the siggy and Lucy S for the blinkies~
August 3rd, 2012, 07:26 AM
inyourhonor's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I get along with my ILs, very well. His brother, I hate him and his sister we haven't spoken to in awhile. Nothing bad happened, life just took over

Killian Rivers born April 17th at 36 weeks

Killian's Birth Story
August 3rd, 2012, 04:03 PM
esparando para bebé's Avatar Proud Car Seat Technician
Send a message via AIM to esparando para bebé Send a message via Yahoo to esparando para bebé
We get along ok.

Thanks to Jaidynsmum for my siggy!
Proud former foster parent to a teen. Waiting on our next call. Proud Aunt to 22.
Proud mommy to 7 angels. Survivor of 4 failed adoptions (5 kids)
August 3rd, 2012, 04:05 PM
Frozenoj's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
MIL died from complications of being an alcoholic shortly after our first dating anniversary. I only met her a couple of times, and by the time we met she was already pretty sick. So I don't have any feelings about her either way.

FIL lives 8 hours away so we just don't ever get to see him. We don't have the money to be making trips down there and he's never come to visit us. There are certain things about him that bug the crap out of DH so my opinion of his is slightly negative.

Neither of us have met Step-MIL but based on how she acts on Facebook I don't care for her.

BIL is in the navy (well, just got out) so we haven't been able to have a lot of contact with him. He seems okay.

DH has several half siblings but even he hasn't met some of them (they're much older than him).

We live in the same area code as almost all of my family. DH gets along with them about as well as I do. He calls my mom Mom.

Thanks Bokkechick for my wonderful siggy!
TTC Blog
10-21-12
August 3rd, 2012, 04:23 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I love my in-laws so much. They are great. Both of our families get along great. I guess the reason we get along is because dh's parents are old enough to be my grandparents. Dh was an oops baby.
My il's are coming for a week long visit and my sil and niece are coming for 2 days. I am so excited. We all stay up late and laugh so hard usually at my fil.

**Thank you .h00dihoo.this. for my awesome siggy!**
August 3rd, 2012, 05:05 PM
Blue-Jay's Avatar Jenny
I love my FIL. I get along pretty well most of the time with my MIL. I love both of my BILs.

August 4th, 2012, 07:28 AM
inyourhonor's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by CameronsMommy View Post
I love my in-laws so much. They are great. Both of our families get along great. I guess the reason we get along is because dh's parents are old enough to be my grandparents. Dh was an oops baby.
My il's are coming for a week long visit and my sil and niece are coming for 2 days. I am so excited. We all stay up late and laugh so hard usually at my fil.
My husband was too! His sister is 15 years older and his brother 11. She went to have her tubes tied 3 times and on the 3rd she was told she was pregnant.

Killian Rivers born April 17th at 36 weeks

Killian's Birth Story
August 4th, 2012, 02:02 PM
MzzMommaD's Avatar Sleepy Rat Rattery
For the most part I love my Inlaws. My sister in law, yes i love her shes family but in realist shes a nut case. She does strange things and inst the nicest to her brother (DH) For example, she went to france BY HERSELF for 2 weeks leaving her fiance and daughter home and took her friend. They could easily afford to go as a family. She travels all the time without her daughter or fiance, and its not work travel. She also owes DH 2 Grand and refuses to pay him back, HE BOUGHT HER A NEW CAR, and she wont pay back what she owes us, nor did she help cover expenses when we flew up there for a week to visit. She laso blames DH for all the abuse they both suffered at the hands of their deceased stepfather. ALL because DH was a little boy and too afraid to speak up, and she moved out and took off when she was i believe 16. He was left to fend for himself against the stepfather for years. Physical, sexual, emotional, psychological abuse for many many years and she blames DH for all of it because he was a little boy and terrified. So yes I love her because she is family, otherwise no i really dont like her much and there are words i wish i could say to describe her. We have been trying to talk to her about make up and beauty products because i run a home business and have a huge new inventory, we have been calling, emailing, texting for a month and she refuses to respond. I dont know what her problem is.

Mother in law on the other and, i have my rooted issues with her about what happened to DH and SIL when they were young, but she has been through many horrible things in her life as well. She is a sweet woman with an odd sense of humor. But i love her.

August 6th, 2012, 12:21 PM
mommydiva's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
It's a very complicated relationship. It's more we all tolerate each other. And it helps that we live in another state so we don't see them unless I go visit my family. Wasn't always that way but lot of hurt and messes.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

August 6th, 2012, 07:12 PM
MellieB's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I tolerate them. And only because they love the girls. My MIL is a snob. So is my SIL for that matter.

Thanks to Claire1979 for the amazing siggy.

Tweet Tweet Facebook Bloggin'

Our Angel Baby on Facebook

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search