How do you split up holidays in your families

Forum: Married Life

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

View Poll Results: How do you split up holidays with your families?
We do every other holiday 3 17.65%
We spend all holidays with my family. 1 5.88%
We spend all holidays with his family 1 5.88%
They live close enough, so we spend them with both 3 17.65%
We don't celebrate holidays with our families. : 1 5.88%
We don't celebrate holidays, period. 0 0%
Other (explain below) 8 47.06%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Married Life LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 17th, 2012, 11:12 AM
sfarrow3's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Since we are fastly approaching the holidays...

September 17th, 2012, 11:21 AM
inyourhonor's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
This is the first year we dont' really know what is going on. The last 5 years we lived up north, we celebrated with my family. My IL's came up the weekend before Christmas.

This year, I don't know. My mom took time off (doesnt know if it was approved though) for Christmas to be here during then.

As for Thanksgiving, I'm not sure on that. My husbands birthday is the day before, my MIL said they were staying home (as to the area) so we might see if they'll come over.

Killian Rivers born April 17th at 36 weeks

Killian's Birth Story
September 17th, 2012, 11:24 AM
bribugg13's Avatar SAHM to Pirate & Princess
Send a message via MSN to bribugg13 Send a message via Yahoo to bribugg13 Send a message via Skype™ to bribugg13
Thanksgiving we usually always do with my parents (here), since DH doesn't get enough time off work to travel to FL. We did once or twice though. Christmas we usually do every other, since he gets off more time around Christmas, we'll be traveling to FL the day after Christmas this year and spending the week.

When we get a house and have a spare room for family to visit, we'll start inviting everyone to our home for Christmas, so we don't have to travel!!

September 17th, 2012, 01:14 PM
Blue-Jay's Avatar Jenny
When my two younger sisters got married (before me), we started celebrating the holidays in my family on a different day (so like last year, my side celebrated Thanksgiving on the Sat. after; Christmas on the 21st; Easter the week before, etc), and then we celebrate on the real day with DH's family. It works out pretty well for us, but I'm hoping we can have a house soon so we can invite them here. I don't feel like traveling forever and ever with DS; his holiday memories should be focused on our immediate family!

September 17th, 2012, 01:31 PM
Keakie's Avatar Learning to walk in faith
The first two years dh and I were together, we were still long distance and he came up to my city to spend the holiday with my family. Last year, we spent it with his because we had my dsc for Christmas. I'm not sure what the plan is for this year - the kids are with their mom so we would like to go up and spend the holidays with my family, but it really depends on dh's work stuff.

*Cautiously and excitedly expecting number two - shhh, if we're friends on Facebook. *

Thank you to Babydoll213 for my fabulous siggie!
September 17th, 2012, 04:17 PM
MellieB's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We don't speak to my side of the family so we usually spend the days with my in laws. If they have something else planned then its just the four of us, which is fine by me.

Thanks to Claire1979 for the amazing siggy.

Tweet Tweet Facebook Bloggin'

Our Angel Baby on Facebook

September 17th, 2012, 06:59 PM
Jessimaaka's Avatar Pink in a house of Blue
We usually hit at least 3 houses a day....his dad's family, his mom's family (except his mom isn't there since she won't travel the hour here), and my family. Its a pain. Hoping we can narrow things down and have people to our house this year since it will be even harder to move around with an infant. We tried that last year since it was our first holidays in our house and it didn't work.

Jess
DS1: Cameron 8/12/2012
DS2: Levi 3/30/2014
September 18th, 2012, 06:26 AM
Amaranth Dhanya's Avatar aka Hillarie
Send a message via Yahoo to Amaranth Dhanya
My husbands family isnt in the picture. His mother and grandmother passed away several years ago so we dont have to split our time.

The first 3 Christmases and one Thanksgiving we spent with my mom but then we decided we just wanted to spend Christmas together with just us and the kids. So we've done that ever since.

As for Thanksgiving, if we had lived closer we might have gone to moms more often but my sis goes down too with her brood so that becomes a ton of people and my DH isnt too keen on my BIL so we just didnt ever go but that once LOL.

~My thanks to *Kiliki* for the siggy and Lucy S for the blinkies~
September 18th, 2012, 07:11 AM
Veteran
My Husband and I have been together 13 years and this is how we did it for day one. It works. Sometimes the other family gets bummed but they are understanding of it. We do every other holiday. For example. Last Thanksgiving I made dinner and had my family there....this year we will spend it with his family. Now Christmas is the only holiday we see both families. We spend Christmas Eve with mine and Christmas Day with his. It is just that my family never did anything on Christmas day and his family never did anything on Christmas Eve so that works out. But ever other holiday is how we work it.
September 18th, 2012, 09:59 AM
Babymakes8's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Christmas is about the only holiday we spend with both families. We both only have one living parent.

My mom and step dad will come over on Christmas Eve and we have a gift exchange with them and the grands. Sometimes my BFF and her mom come, too. On Christmas Day, we get up, let the kids have their stockings and gifts, and then my FIL comes over (he lives next door) to have Christmas dinner with us.

Thanksgiving it's usually just us, or my BFF and her mom, or sometimes my FIL.

September 19th, 2012, 06:02 AM
*Kiliki*'s Avatar i have absolute power
we visit his family every other year for christmas and thats about it...cause they live so far away its hard to get together more often than that....
Request Siggy Here SEE GALLERY HERE Request Banner Siggy Here

September 19th, 2012, 07:25 AM
sfarrow3's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Thanksgiving is a toss up. It just depends on how we are feeling. The last 3 Thanksgivings we have traveled out of state to my sisters /or friends. This Thanksgiving we are going to Maryland for 5 days. We always stay home for Christmas. My inlaws live a few minutes away so we normally spend it with them.

September 19th, 2012, 09:53 AM
Platinum Supermommy
We don't have a set schedule for Easter and Thanksgiving, my mother in law is really flexible and isn't fussy on the dates, which is nice because I like to spend them with my family if my sister is there, she only visits a few times a year.

Christmas we alternate between both families, Christmas day one year, boxing day the other. Dh's sister does the same thing and so do my brother's wives with their sides, so generally speaking we're all together for Christmas dinner.
September 19th, 2012, 11:47 PM
MzzMommaD's Avatar Sleepy Rat Rattery
With the bullcrap thats been going on with my family we have barely spoken or seen each other in a year. So every holiday for the most part has been with his family or just us. Also, now that I am back in contact with my full biological family tree, we are spending a lot of time with them. which is wonderful I havent seen any of these people since I was 2, and many of them (my siblings) are younger than me and i have never had the opportunity to meet them but its in the works!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search