Think back..

Forum: Married Life

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Married Life LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 17th, 2012, 11:17 AM
sfarrow3's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Do you remember having a big fight with a family member, furture husband, wedding coordinator or friend before the BIG day? What was it?

September 17th, 2012, 11:41 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Had a fight with DH's first choice for a best man. He had asked a woman to be his best man, and when I asked her to coordinate her outfit with the women, but she wanted to wear a tux and do a whole gender bending thing. She decided I was running too much of the show for my husband's side of the wedding party and stepped down. I told him I thought that was a bit childish, lame and otherwise rude, and then we decided that she was no longer invited to the wedding. I couldn't believe this chick whom I'd met ONCE had the audacity to basically call me a B I T C H for asking her to wear a skirt suit and put him in that position. Haven't seen her since either. Every once in a while I catch that DH still has her on FB and chats with her now and then, and it makes my skin crawl and knuckles itch. I'd still love to drill her!

Check out my BLOGS
Making Lemonade
MonkeyPieForTheWin

September 17th, 2012, 01:06 PM
Blue-Jay's Avatar Jenny
^ Omg, that's awful!!

I didn't fight with anyone before MY big day, but my sister and I had a fight that destroyed our friendship before HER wedding. It happened when she called to tell me that she was planning her bachelorette party, and wanted to let me know that it wasn't necessary for me to join them; I could think about it and call her back. She said I might be uncomfortable with all the drinking and the talk about sex, and she would totally understand if I felt better staying home. Ok, I'm a bit of a prude and maybe I don't want to see my 15-year-old baby sister drinking and talking about sex. I said thanks I'd think about it and get back to her. She called me back hours later and told me not to bother thinking about it, she'd straight up prefer it if I didn't come, because I wouldn't have a good time and when I don't have a good time, I drag everybody else down with me. I felt that was unnecessary and it did hurt my feelings a lot, to be invited and then uninvited to her bachelorette party, and to have her say such unsweet things to me. Months later when she found out I was upset, she was mad at me about it! We've tried, but have never been able to move past this. She had said a lot of other stuff before this, and I guess she was just a Bridezilla and it destroyed our friendship. It's sad.

September 17th, 2012, 01:17 PM
Buggymom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Oh wow ladies! That's horrible.

I didn't have a fight or anything really. Unless you count my sister not coming to my wedding because she was flat out jealous. Or how about my brother not coming because he wanted to go camping with his friends. Believe it or not, I didn't say anything to either of them about it....I just bit my tongue. Oh well.

September 17th, 2012, 02:03 PM
Keakie's Avatar Learning to walk in faith
Oh my gosh, those stories are terrible! I can't even imagine!

I didn't really have a fight with anyone before our wedding. Does the online company I tried to buy shoes from count? I had waited until the last minute (which was my fault) and couldn't find anything at the mall or any department stores around here (they were either not right in colour or style and if I found a style I loved, they didn't have my size). I looked online, and found some that I *loved*. I ordered them and asked for 2 day shipping because the regular shipping was 5-7 business days and we were leaving in 5. When I got my confirmation email, it said I had selected regular shipping. It was a Sunday when I ordered them and their customer service line is only open Monday through Friday, so I had to wait until the next day to call. On Monday morning, they more or less said yeah, our computer system did mess it up but we can't change it now. The woman on the phone wouldn't give me a reason why. It hadn't left the warehouse yet, but she said they "just can't" change it. I hung up and told dh and burst into tears.

He called back for me, got another service rep and explained the situation (we're leaving for our destination wedding this weekend) again. He asked if they could change the shipping, and was told, verbatim: "They will get there when they get there." Um, wrong answer. She argued with him some more, and he calmly kept repeating that he was finished and we would like the order canceled. She kept arguing until he said that if the charge was not reversed, we would take legal action. She "had to call the warehouse" and dh said that's fine, but we expect a phone call back confirming that it was canceled as well as an email confirmation. She did it. It was so annoying because it was THEIR mistake and they were obnoxiously indifferent about the fact that I probably wouldn't get them in time.

I ended up getting the same shoes from another vendor instead. They ended up making a mistake with my order too, but their response was to rush the shoes at no cost to me instead of, "They'll get there when they get there."

Thank you to Jaidynsmum for our awesome banner and my fabulous siggie!
September 17th, 2012, 02:19 PM
Kiam's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
To an extent with our first photographer.

She found out she was pregnant and due just after our wedding, she told us when she found out, as we had already booked her, and gave us the option to stick with her and she will have a back up photographer just in case she can't make it. We thought that sounded good, signed a new contract stating this, and went on our merry way.

A week before our wedding she called to say she was being induced the day before our wedding, we wished her luck, and asked for the contact number of the replacement. She didn't organise one because "I was just so sure that I would be fine"

After a fair bit of back and forth, we also discovered that she wasn't planning to refund us, as we had already paid in full prior to the wedding, as per the contract. Sorry, but no she was not going to take our money ($1,200) for nothing. We ended up having to threaten her with legal action and she eventually paid us the money back.

Fortunately we found a lovely photographer at short notice who was appalled at our story and how unprofessional she was. In the end it turned out perfect, he was cheaper so we saved a bit of money, he took lovely photos, made us some prints (she wasn't going to do those) and he found out that we reviewed him very positively on an online bridal directory, so he made us a gift of a little mini album for free.
September 17th, 2012, 06:50 PM
Jessimaaka's Avatar Pink in a house of Blue
Those are horrible!

I didn't have any major fights or horrible vendors, but things were alternatingly fine and then tense between me and my mother during the 14 months I was planning it. Things were the worst when she found out we were planning on not having a full mass...K is not catholic, but the rest of his family is (so am I and my family). She was bawling and didn't speak to me for a few days. We ended up relenting since it seemed so important to her and although K felt awkward for an extra half an hour, he was ok with it in the end.

Jess
DS1: Cameron 8/12/2012
DS2: Levi 3/30/2014
September 18th, 2012, 05:15 AM
Mega Super Mommy
wow...that's just awful. I had a row with our photographer after the wedding, but he was great during. I still wish I'd picked someone else though. After my wedding, I ended up starting my own wedding planning business just so I could help other people avoid the same crap with their vendors without draining their wallets.

I enjoyed it tons, but I could never replace my full time salary with it, and then when along came baby, there was definitely no extra time to play around at wedding planning.

Check out my BLOGS
Making Lemonade
MonkeyPieForTheWin

September 20th, 2012, 03:00 PM
TerriLF's Avatar Super Mommy
well seeing as how I was 8 months pregnant and a whole 7 people came to the JP with us..there was no big fights or arguments..If I had to do it again, I would do it the same exact way!! We had been engaged for about 2 years before we got married and only got married because I wanted the same last name as my children..to me the state telling me he is my husband doesn't mean *&$#. I will stay with him till the day I die no matter what the state says...

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search