The parents

Forum: Married Life

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Married Life LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 22nd, 2012, 03:29 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Do your parents like your dh?

Do your inlaws like you?

My mom loves dh and thinks of him the same as my brothers. My dad has a harder time appreciating dh because he (GASP) makes time for the kids and do things with them, when he could be working, and that's something I totally appreciate about dh, I totally think there's work to be done, but there's more to life than money.

I think mil likes me, and my inlaws both appreciate me as a mom to their grandchildren, but fil and I have a hard time getting along. We don't fight or anything, but he drives me batty.
September 22nd, 2012, 04:39 PM
Blue-Jay's Avatar Jenny
My parents love Rob; he's a very easygoing guy who is comfortable in his own skin, so he makes everyone around him feel comfortable.

My in-laws do love me, and I love them. But I'm glad they don't live super close because it's easier to love them from a distance, lol. My FIL and I are particularly close, probably because Rob and his mom are just alike so FIL and I have the same complaints and kindred sufferings.

September 22nd, 2012, 05:00 PM
Kiam's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My parents really like DH, I don't think they have ever expressed a single issue with him. At least, to me they haven't, and my Mum is a gossip and I am usually her ear, so I would have heard about it, I'm sure.

I think my in-laws like me, at least, they don't dislike me, however I am very different from what they wanted DH to end up with, and I can accept that. I was the first girl that DH went out on his own with, whereas his past girlfriends were set up by his parents, or were daughters of family friends. Their family is quite religious so it was a case of girls with the same religious ideals and standards. Then I come along almost from this whole other world to the one they have immersed themselves in and things were very uncomfortable initially.

I think I just take some time to get used to. Things are definitely more comfortable now, MIL even had a gossip over coffee session with me a few weeks ago, which was a first.

September 22nd, 2012, 06:06 PM
Babymakes8's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My parents love my DH.

My inlaws - well, my MIL loved me, but passed away before we were married. Both BIL's dislike me, SIL hates me, and FIL tolerates me and we (dh and I both) merely tolerate his family.

Dh's Uncle on the other hand tells everyone that my DH is HIS son and I'm his DIL and our kids call him Papa D lol

September 22nd, 2012, 09:24 PM
Just_Marie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
both my parents are gone and my ILs love me

Lucky mother to five!

September 22nd, 2012, 09:44 PM
Jessimaaka's Avatar Pink in a house of Blue
DH isn't quite what my parents imagined I would end up with - I have 8 years post-secondary education, same with my dad and my mom went to college as well. DH is two courses short of his high school diploma. But he's such a great guy they were able to overlook that (although they weren't all that thrilled when I started seriously dating him....thats all in the past though).

His parents and step parents love me...to the point that its a bit annoying. I know that sounds terrible, but his mom and sister drive me bonkers. They are a bit crazy (seriously), so I use him to run interference.

Jess
DS1: Cameron 8/12/2012
DS2: Levi 3/30/2014
September 23rd, 2012, 07:28 AM
esparando para bebé's Avatar Proud Car Seat Technician
Send a message via AIM to esparando para bebé Send a message via Yahoo to esparando para bebé
Yep. We all get along.

Thanks to Jaidynsmum for my siggy!
Proud former foster parent to a teen. Waiting on our next call. Proud Aunt to 22.
Proud mommy to 7 angels. Survivor of 4 failed adoptions (5 kids)
September 24th, 2012, 02:01 PM
Keakie's Avatar Learning to walk in faith
My family thinks dh is wonderful. They're up in Ontario so we don't get to see them as much as we'd like to, but they are happy for us and my mom has stated she feels better about me being so far away knowing that I have dh here taking care of me. They always ask me to say hello to him for them.

My il's seem to like me. Mil and fil have nothing but nice things to say about me and the effect I've had on dh's life, about how happy I seem to make him, etc. We have our differences but they really are wonderful people and they do a lot for us. We don't see bil and sil as much (which is fine - they both work and have 4 children, 3 of whom play sports (and one of them plays year round), spend a lot of time at the church volunteering, etc) but when we do see them we always get along just fine.

*Excitedly expecting baby girl number two!*

Thank you to Babydoll213 for my fabulous siggie!
September 24th, 2012, 04:08 PM
Amaranth Dhanya's Avatar aka Hillarie
Send a message via Yahoo to Amaranth Dhanya
My husband was raised w/o his father around so I never knew him(we found out he died in '04).

My husbands mother passed in 1998 before we even met so Ill never know but those who knew her said she'd love me LOL.

He has 3 brothers and we've met them a few times(family rift then family reunion now riftish again) and we get along fine.

As for my family they like him. My dads not got much to say as he's only met him once and has kept his distance from all my sisters and our fams cuz of his wife.
The only one who isnt keen on my hubby is my youngest sister and the feeling is mutual LOL. Personally, I think its cuz they are both too much alike and thats why they butt heads so much.

~My thanks to *Kiliki* for the siggy and Lucy S for the blinkies~
September 25th, 2012, 07:41 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Tolerance is the best word I can use to describe any of the parental relationships in our family.

My parents and brother tolerate DH because if they didn't they'd lose me and my daughter. I think my mom has warmed to him more than I ever thought she would because she sees him sticking it out and loving me through some of my toughest times. But I know that deep down in her heart, if I told her I was leaving him tomorrow, her heart would do a jig.

His parents tolerate me because if they didn't they think they lose him and our daughter.

We tolerate our parent's in law out of respect for each other.

Independently though, my mom is my best friend, and he's a mama's boy, so I guess it all works out in the end. As long as it's peaceful, that's all I care about. Would be nice if everyone

Check out my BLOGS
Making Lemonade
MonkeyPieForTheWin

September 27th, 2012, 05:59 PM
somo_chickenlady's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My parent tolerate DH...they aren't rude or mean to him (usually) but he isn't their favorite person. They are the same way with me, though, so....

DH's parents really like me, according to DH. We stay with them every time we go back to our home town, and I get along with them a lot. I'm closer to them than I am my own parents, and I call them ma and pa just like DH and his siblings do. (they are actually DH's aunt and uncle who adopted them as teenagers...long story...which is why they don't call them mom and dad.)

Click on my blinkies!!

**thank you SO much to tasha_mae for my beautiful siggy
and to CupcakeJamie and Niamh ૐ for my blinkies!!**
October 11th, 2012, 04:18 AM
My parents love DH, I swear he can do no wrong in their eyes. Pretty much shortly after meeting him they included him as a family member. As far as my brother and sister, they both love him, which for my sister especially, that's never happened with anyone I had dated and brought home. She's normally hated any guy I've been with and been vocal about it, haha. My parents were never who approval was needed from, it was my sister.

I love my MIL and FIL, I don't get to see them often, though. My MIL lives in California and DH and I are in Minnesota. My FIL lives in North Dakota. But I text and talk to my MIL a lot, she's actually a lot easier to talk to than my own mom. She's very sweet and caring, she gets really teary eyed easily which DH now jokes and tells her he's going to buy her a bunch of shamwows, but she's a great listener and has a lot of good advice. My FIL is just a character and he cracks me up, but he's really sweet. He can drive both DH and I up the wall when we visit him but it's just him being a chatterbox. I know both IL love me, I had some issues with my BIL for a while until my MIL was first to catch wind and she put him in his place and when my FIL found out, he also shut my BIL up. Things with him have been just fine since, haha. I kind of lucked out with the IL situation.
October 11th, 2012, 06:54 AM
sfarrow3's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
ehhh..tolerance is the word.

My parents say they like DH, but they really don't come around much.

I tolerate my inlaws. They do say they love me and such but we take our interactions with each other a day at a time. They get on my nerves like you wouldn't believe though.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search