Tuesday QOTD

Forum: Married Life

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Just_Marie
  • 3 Post By Keakie

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Married Life LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 8th, 2013, 08:01 PM
sfarrow3's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Do you believe a wife should be submissive?

January 8th, 2013, 09:29 PM
Just_Marie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
it totally depends on your definition of submission
#5in2005 likes this.

Lucky mother to five!

January 9th, 2013, 06:12 AM
esparando para bebé's Avatar Proud Car Seat Technician
Send a message via AIM to esparando para bebé Send a message via Yahoo to esparando para bebé
Nope. Not at all. We are equals in this house.

Thanks to Jaidynsmum for my siggy!
Proud former foster parent to a teen. Waiting on our next call. Proud Aunt to 22.
Proud mommy to 7 angels. Survivor of 4 failed adoptions (5 kids)
January 9th, 2013, 06:18 AM
Veteran
I agree that it depends on your definition of submissive. I've learned that people use this term in many different ways. I believe that the wife should allow the husband to be the decision maker. When you are married to the right person, being submissive isn't an issue because the trust, loyalty and communication is there. When you are married to the right person, the husband will not have a "I'm the king, you are nobody - what I say, goes" mentality...therefore being submissive wouldn't be an insult to the women. When you are married to the right person, when he has an idea, he'll run it past you just to hear your thoughts; however, the final decision is his. He is the leader of the home. If you are NOT married to a person that you can trust to lead your home, then, I believe being submissive would be an insult/threat/hard thing to do. Remember, submission (used in the correct format) doesn't mean that you tuck your tail all day and he sits on a throne and yells out decisions and demands. It just means that you allow the man to lead the home and you are supportive of his decisions.

So, at the end of the day, it depends on the definition of submissive...and who you are married to!
January 9th, 2013, 08:56 AM
Keakie's Avatar Learning to walk in faith
Without going into great detail and explanation, I think 'submissive' is a loaded word, and the idea behind it can vary a lot depending on the couple in question.

We're equals within our marriage. There are some things that I'll 'submit' or yield to dh on, typically things that he's more knowledgeable about than I am. There are also things that dh will 'submit' or yield to me on. It's not a weird domination, one person is more important than the other thing. It's a trust thing.

*Cautiously and excitedly expecting number two - shhh, if we're friends on Facebook. *

Thank you to Babydoll213 for my fabulous siggie!
January 9th, 2013, 02:18 PM
Amaranth Dhanya's Avatar aka Hillarie
Send a message via Yahoo to Amaranth Dhanya
To a degree...sure but so should the hubby LOL.

~My thanks to *Kiliki* for the siggy and Lucy S for the blinkies~
January 9th, 2013, 03:15 PM
Jessimaaka's Avatar Pink in a house of Blue
I agree the definition of "submission" would help clarify. Regardless, I know more about some things (e.g. budgeting) but DH knows more about other things (e.g. cars). He lets me do all the finances, and I let him do all the maintenance on the cars. There's lots of give and take.

Jess
DS1: Cameron 8/12/2012
DS2: Levi 3/30/2014
January 9th, 2013, 04:09 PM
MzzMommaD's Avatar Sleepy Rat Rattery
Agree, the use of the term for this situation is to varied. For example, for the most part im pretty submissive in the relationship. I do most of the house work and such. DH makes the money and i am stay at home right now. But it doesnt really bother me as there have been times where HE stays at home and I work..

January 10th, 2013, 11:51 AM
Blue-Jay's Avatar Jenny
I believe that everyone should have equal power in a relationship, but I think there are lots of ways of working that out. In our house, I take the lead in things in which I am stronger, and I let Rob take the lead in the areas where he is stronger. If I disagree with him, I say so, and I don't back down until I am satisfied that we have reached a fair compromise (or I've realized that I am wrong, lol).

January 10th, 2013, 12:06 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Is there a difference between being submissive to your husband or submitting to your husband? One is a general state of being where and the other would apply to certain instances.
I am definetly not a submissive person, but there are times where I may not wholeheartedly agree with dh's choice or decision but have let him take the lead. That said, he would not do anything that I really did not want him to do. I don't know if that's submissive though, or just respecting the other person.

Submission certainly has a very negative and weak connotation to it.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search