When to start baby food?

Forum: Moms of Infants

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Moms of Infants LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 28th, 2011, 12:29 PM
OatmealKisses's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
When are you going to, did you, start your baby on baby food? When did your doctor recommend for them to start? What was the first thing you gave them? Did you ever feed baby cereal?

How many times a day did you feed it to them? How many different things did you feed them in the beginning? When you started a new food did you stop the previous one temporarily? What brands/types/different foods did you feed? How often did you add a new food?

Angel Baby gone at 9 weeks, 7/8/13
December 28th, 2011, 07:55 PM
brightmommy's Avatar Veteran
We will probably wait to start around 6 months, 5 at the very minimum. At her last check-up (2 month) the doctor said that we would discuss starting solids at her 4 month appointment, but said we didn't really have to start until she was 6 months old.
December 29th, 2011, 08:54 AM
Duffy510's Avatar Super Mommy
Hello (I usually lurk here but today I'll throw in my two cents). DS is now 8 months old. We started him on solids at five months. I was going to wait until six, but my pediatrician said that since he was already sleeping through the night, he should start immediately so that he doesn't start waking up hungry. We started him on rice cereal, the Gerber kind I think because it's chalk full of vitamins. He spat most of it out for the first week, but then by week two, he started to get the hang of eating.

Because we had a huge amount of bananas around the house (for some reason), we started him on banana next. We took a fork and mushed up the banana, mixed it with formula. At first, he ate solids only once a day, and had formula for the rest of the day. When he was about 6.5 months, I made an effort to feed him twice a day. At first, we introduced foods one at a time. What we did was when we fed him, say, broccoli, and he had already eaten banana the previous week, we would feed him broccoli for dinner and banana for lunch. Now that he has quite a repetoir, we fix it up throughout the day.

So now he eats three times a day. We fed him meat at seven months, starting with plain chicken. Now he eats seasoned chicken and turkey. We'll start him on pork this weekend. We usually make our own food, just based on what we're eating. When we make our fruit, we steam or boil it and then cut it into small pieces or mash it up. He's starting on finger foods now so plain Cherrios, bread, etc. He'll eat some Gerber or other brands when we go out so that I don't have to bother with keeping fresh food refrigerated.

Every solid food experience is different, but that was ours. Hope that helps.

January 6th, 2012, 01:33 PM
Veteran
Send a message via Yahoo to Brandy Luing Send a message via Skype™ to Brandy Luing
I was told my by Dr to start my son on solid foods at 6 months. I started trying to feed him with a spoon and he hates it. WE are pushing it so he can eat more solid foods since he is waking up more at night hungry. If any of you ladies have some good pointers on getting him to eat from a spoon it would be great appreciated. The other four kids love eating from a spoon so this is new to be

WORK AT HOME UNITED
BRANDY LUING
DIRECTOR VII
TAYLOR, DEVIN, JESSE JR, BROOKE, AND EASTON

www.workathomeunited.com/brandy
January 7th, 2012, 06:52 PM
MommaLexi's Avatar Adoptive and Foster Mommy
Avery is tube-fed, but I started her on Gerber cereal (oatmeal, not rice) at 7 months old. It took her a good month to get the hang of it. Once she turned 9 months old I started mixing in veggies. I mixed them in one at a time, for 3 days at a time. I didn't stop an old food to start a new one, just added the new one. She is over 2 years old now, and still tube-fed. One thing I can count on her eating every time it's offered is Gerber oatmeal mixed with homemade baby food (fruit or veggie). FYI- I tried to feed her straight homemade baby food before I mixed it in the cereal. The texture made her gag and puke a few times. She likes it chunkier rather than smooth.

FD ~ Squishy, 8mos old, Down Syndrome, Heart Disease (post open-heart surgery)
February 2nd, 2012, 04:45 PM
SarieP's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by OatmealKisses View Post
When are you going to, did you, start your baby on baby food? When did your doctor recommend for them to start? What was the first thing you gave them? Did you ever feed baby cereal?

How many times a day did you feed it to them? How many different things did you feed them in the beginning? When you started a new food did you stop the previous one temporarily? What brands/types/different foods did you feed? How often did you add a new food?
We started our son on solid food when he was 6 months old (he was actually 3 months adjusted because he was premature). Our doctor told us it was ok to start him on solids if he opened his mouth when we put a spoon up to it. Since he started he hasn't stopped! We gave him rice cereal at first but it really made him constipated so we switched to oatmeal....now he eats it everyday.

We feed him oatmeal with a stage 2 jar of fruit in the morning, yogurt for lunch, and a jar of veggies. We just started adding a meat to the evening meal. We always waited a few days in between trying new foods. Like we gave him banana and he was fine with it so we introduced applesauce 3 days later. He is all different type of fruit and veggies. When we go to the store we just grab the ones we know he likes and always get a few he has never had before.

I think you really have to go with your gut. All babies are different and only you know your baby. If he/she seems interested then I say go for it! The thing to remember is....if they don't want it...they won't eat it! LOL

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search