Grandmother Issues

Forum: Moms of Infants

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Moms of Infants LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 25th, 2012, 11:39 AM
Hello,

I'm new here so I'm not sure if I'm posting in the right section or not but hopefully I can get some kind of insight on this difficult situation.

I recently gave birth to my daughter in January. While I was pregnant, we were evicted from our apartment (mon th to month lease) because they found out I was pregnant. So, my fiance (the baby's father) was told by his mother that we could move in with her until we were able to get back on our feet. My fiance had just lost his job, I am now disabled and cannot work, so we were in a tough situation and accepted the offer. Almost immediately after moving in, his mother began becoming very harassing towards us, accusing me of being a drug addict and lying to my fiance about my health issues (I've been diabetic for 24 years and have severe retinopathy and neuropathy).. demanding to see our bank statements and telling us when we can and cannot spend time outside of the house.. cursing and screaming at us, hiding simple things like toilet paper from us so we would go without... She never even acknowledged that her granddaughter was in the house...

About three days ago, we came home and found that she had intentionally locked my fiance and I outside in the cold at night with our daughter. At this point, we decided to pack our things up and move into my parent's house. We went back today to get the rest of our stuff at an arranged time and she caused issues with a stroller and some other things that she gave to us at my baby shower, and I had to call the police to come collect the rest of my property. While we were there, she was verbally harassing me about my past, my life, my health issues, and told me that I "better not ***ing keep her from seeing her granddaughter because she has LEGAL RIGHTS to see her". I told her that is not true, and we will see about that.

I do not want her around my daughter and neither does my fiance. She knowingly allowed him to be molested as a child by her exhusband, and sent the same man after him to beat him when he didn't do as asked or just because. When he was 16, she was living with another man and kicked him out to the street when the man she had been with for two weeks said "him or me". She went on a weekend trip when he was 15 and locked him out of the house and told him she did not care where he went but he had to find somewhere to go for the weekend. She left him alone unattended at 8 years of age so that she could go to the bar. None of this is court documented, but it happened, and I do not want this type of person around my child. She has proven over the past 10 weeks of living with her that she is the same callous, selfish person that she always was. She did many things that still impact my fiance more than 20 years later in his life, and we just don't think it is in our daughter's best interest to have a relationship with her grandmother.

Now, since I am still legally married to my ex, the state will n ot allow me to out her father's name on the birth certificate until I am officially divorced, so my fiance's name is not actually on her birth certificate at this time so I don't know if she is even legally considered our daughter's grandmother right now. I have been reading up on "grandparent's rights" and see that she has to take us to court for it, but it can be denied if it is proven to not be in the best interest of our child. Would any of this hold up in court? What can I do? I am in tears because I do not want my daughter to be around this vile woman!!

Victoria
March 26th, 2012, 09:09 AM
Regular
I doubt it. You and your husband would probably need to testify against her if she does decide to take you to court. If she shows up demanding to see your child, call the police. After 2 or so incidents, you can get a protection order or a restraining order, depending on the state. You need to consult with a lawyer, which the consultation should be free.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search