Breastfeeding or Formula

Forum: Moms of Infants

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Moms of Infants LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 28th, 2012, 11:40 AM
Co Host - July 2011 PR
Who here is breastfeeding and who is using formula.

For you breastfeeding momma's , how long do you plan to breastfeed?

For you formula momma's, what formula are you using?

Proud mama to 10 month old, Charlie <3 !
May 28th, 2012, 12:24 PM
Taz38's Avatar Proud Mommy
I pump almost exclusively - hoping to maintain at least 6 months
May 29th, 2012, 08:15 AM
Co Host - July 2011 PR
Are you having an easy time pumping and keeping up your supply? I don't think I would be able to pump exclusively, too time consuming but pumping usually take me forever.

May 29th, 2012, 10:29 AM
Supply was awesome before returning to work and he started sleeping through the night. I'm still able to keep up with him, but by Thursday I get down to one on one bottles and it makes me frantic. Then on the weekend I'm able to build back up to 5 bottles ahead.

Generally I can pump 4-5 oz per breast in 15 minutes or less. I find it's harder to eat and drink properly at work so my afternoon pumps are less. I've been considering the fenugreek stuff, but I don't want to cause oversupply since I am really keeping up with him - he takes 6-7 oz per feeding every 3-4 hours.

It takes me longer to bf because he takes forever and falls asleep before getting full, wakes up mad because he's hungry and repeat. Before I got my pump I literally sat in my recliner one day for 6 hours going back and forth with him. By hour number 3 I was a mess and we were both crying.

This way I can see how much he's getting, it's quick and both of us leave happy.....LOL Plus my hubby takes over the feedings most of the time so it includes him. I still bf when I get low supply or lonely and need my mommy time. I shoot for at least once or twice a day bfing--usually it doesn't work out that way
May 29th, 2012, 11:03 AM
Co Host - July 2011 PR
It takes me like half an hour just to pump one boob completely! I had the freezer stocked full but when we moved to my inlaws in Dec someone forgot to plug our mini freezer in right away or move the milk to the other freezer and it all unthawed and went bad. I gave up on Mommy time just because I didn't want to have to struggle with pumping anymore.
If you get an oversupply you can just bag it and throw it in the freezer. In a deep freezer you can keep the milk for 6 months I know a couple people who sear by fenugreek!

May 29th, 2012, 11:25 AM
I'm not having the freezer discussion with my hubby again...once was enough. I was trying to bag and freeze, but he got cranky about buying bags blah blah blah - but I may give the fenugreek a try if it becomes more of an issue. I have 6 bottles of similac ready to go formula just in case.
May 29th, 2012, 11:39 AM
Co Host - July 2011 PR
lol I stopped having discussions with my hubby and just started doing things. He discovered that my way was better in the end LMAO

May 30th, 2012, 10:39 AM
Me and Jesus <3 You
Breastfeeding. I plan to go at least a year and let her decide when she's done with the boob.
June 7th, 2012, 04:44 PM
Kit Kat's Avatar Photoshop Addict
Send a message via Yahoo to Kit Kat
Breastfeeding til he weans himself.

June 25th, 2012, 11:04 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Breastfeeding

I'm a SAHM so Kynslee has gotten very few bottles and therefore now will not even really take a bottle. I use to pump every morning after feeding her to help build my supply but now supply seems better. The milk is still in the freezer. I need to use it before it goes bad. When she first started eating cereal I would mix my milk in the cereal instead of water.
Baby #2 is on the way!! PROVERBS 3:5-6
July 1st, 2012, 11:32 AM
Carwen*Angel's Avatar Fly away on my zephyr
Send a message via MSN to Carwen*Angel
With Daniel I tried to breastfeed and couldn't, just didn't seem to have the milk supply. So I plan to formula feed this baby. I will use SMA as Daniel thrived on it.

July 2nd, 2012, 09:26 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Both.

I pump at work, and generally get about 3-4 bottles worth to send to day care the next day. Some days I use a small freezer stash to increase that to 4-5 bottles. We have a can of formula at day care so if DS goes through all her bottles and she's still hungry they will give her that. She loves it.

I plan to BF until about 15-18 months, or she weans herself, whichever comes first. I weaned DS at 18 months.
July 2nd, 2012, 05:39 PM
Veteran
Breastfeeding...I'd love to go a year but I'm just taking it one day at a time.
October 27th, 2012, 02:56 AM
Veteran
My LO is at his 9th month and I will still continue and prefer BF as it is convenient, practical, and more nutritious. Though on the past few days, I was starting to wean him by pumping and let him drink my milk through bottle because I have to work already! Next week, I'll introduce formula.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search