Mat Leave?

Forum: Moms of Infants

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Moms of Infants LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 30th, 2012, 12:38 PM
Co Host - July 2011 PR
How long were you able to take for maternity leave?

Proud mama to 10 month old, Charlie <3 !
May 31st, 2012, 07:08 AM
Taz38's Avatar Proud Mommy
had up to 12 wks took 8
May 31st, 2012, 07:32 AM
Co Host - July 2011 PR
This is where I'm so glad I live in Canada! I got a full year off paid!

May 31st, 2012, 08:48 AM
yeah a year would be pretty nice

I had to take vacation and short term disability to get paid.
May 31st, 2012, 11:12 AM
Mega Super Mommy
We didn't want to start DS in day care until 3 months.

I took 6 weeks academic sick leave, paid.
2 weeks paid vacation.
I'm now working 1/2 time 4 weeks to stretch it to 3 months.

I would have taken these last weeks off unpaid, but then I would have had to pay the full premium of my health insurance, $1500.

I know I'm better off than a lot in the US to have had 8 weeks paid. But it still sucks. We should get AT LEAST 6 months, in my opinion. I'm breastfeeding so I will have to pump at work. By 6 months DD will be starting solid foods so I wouldn't have to as often. It SUCKS taking 3 breaks a day to pump, just to keep the supply up. This is sort of extreme, but I think HAVING to go back to work is discriminatory. Sure, I could choose to use formula if I don't want to bother to pump. But why should I have to choose anything other than what's natural?

(I have nothing against formula at all, whether it's exclusive or supplemental. I will be using it. All mommies know what works best for them!)
May 31st, 2012, 11:21 AM
Co Host - July 2011 PR
I agree with you! I don't understand why you guys don't get any time off paid. I don't know what I would have done if I had to go back to work earlier! I count myself so lucky!

May 31st, 2012, 01:35 PM
It does suck to pump at work. My supply has greatly dimished because I cannot keep up with eating and drinking. I get called into meetings or have to re-schedule my day to do something else and usually miss my pumping times. by Thurday I'm usually bottle for bottle and it makes me crazy. On the weekend I get 5 bottles ahead.

I rarely nurse because he's a total lazy nurser and falls right asleep so I end up pumping anyway. the boob is good for the nights he doesn't want to go to sleep...lol

and to top it off--I forgot my breast shields today so I haven't been able to pump----OUCHY!!!! I'm leaving early because I'm so big and hurting right now.....lol

Last edited by Taz38; May 31st, 2012 at 01:38 PM.
June 1st, 2012, 08:03 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz38 View Post
It does suck to pump at work. My supply has greatly dimished because I cannot keep up with eating and drinking. I get called into meetings or have to re-schedule my day to do something else and usually miss my pumping times. by Thurday I'm usually bottle for bottle and it makes me crazy. On the weekend I get 5 bottles ahead.

I rarely nurse because he's a total lazy nurser and falls right asleep so I end up pumping anyway. the boob is good for the nights he doesn't want to go to sleep...lol

and to top it off--I forgot my breast shields today so I haven't been able to pump----OUCHY!!!! I'm leaving early because I'm so big and hurting right now.....lol
I did that once! I couldn't leave so I did it by hand, as much as I could. NOT FUN!!!
June 1st, 2012, 05:15 PM
Co Host - July 2011 PR
The last time I tried to express by hand I ended up completely SOAKED in breast milk... lol I haven't tried it since

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search