How to break the swaddle addiction?

Forum: Moms of Infants

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Moms of Infants LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 1st, 2012, 05:10 PM
My son is 3 months old and has been swaddled for sleeping since birth but he is starting to show signs of rolling. I don't think purposefully... he bends his knees, pushes on his mattress with his feet and forcefully turns to the side. He is getting so close to flipping and I am terrified I am going to wake up one night to him face down on the mattress!! Not only that, he is breaking out of his swaddle about 5-6 times a night and wakes up screaming. I have to get up and swaddle him back each time before he will fall back asleep. It is terrible. He is cranky pretty much all day because he is getting such bad sleep at night.

I am trying to swaddle just one hand out, but he is not taking it very well. I rock him until he is really, really sleepy and then put him down. Within 10 seconds he is S.C.R.E.A.M.I.N.G. And I mean screaming so hard he is turning a purple color so I of course scoop him up and try again. After 20 minutes of this, he finally goes to sleep only to wake up in 20 minutes screaming again.

I do NOT believe in cry it out... so please do not suggest this. Any other tricks or do I just need to keep forging ahead and eventually he will be okay with it??
December 2nd, 2012, 09:05 AM
writerchick324's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
All I have heard of is trying to swaddle with limbs out more and more. It sounds like that is what you are trying to do. Do you have some sort of toy or item that plays music or sound? My LO loves his "colors", it's a toy that has moving figures and glows with alternating colors and plays music/rainforest noises. He get's distracted and watches that, and it has alternating volume levels. Maybe having a similar toy will help calm him down or distract him? Many people have had success with white noise emitters, so maybe that will help him stay asleep even if he comes out of his swaddle. I just stopped swaddling him one day, and later took away his binky too, and cry it out worked for us. He puts himself to sleep now. I would say to just forge ahead like you are doing, and maybe get some sort of toy/noise/color thing to distract him. Does he use a binky that may help soothe him?

Amazon.com: Fisher-Price Rainforest Waterfall Peek-a-Boo Soother: Baby

Elliott David: 9/13/12, 5:36pm, 8lbs15oz, 20 1/2" long!

January 19th, 2013, 05:58 PM
BlessedMommyx's Avatar Stephanie
With my LO I gently weaned her off it. I stares out with one arm out. And sometimes she needed it swaddled back in during the night but it was baby steps. It took about 2 weeks and she then finally slept without needing it.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search