9 month old frequent night wakings

Forum: Moms of Infants

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Moms of Infants LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 14th, 2013, 11:24 AM
Hi! I'm new here. My son is 9 months old, breastfed and eating solids occasionally. When he was around 4 months or so, he went from waking several times a night to just once or twice. For the past few weeks he has suddenly been waking every two or three hours. By morning we're both so tired I can barely stay awake and he's very cranky. He goes to bed at 7 and nurses to sleep, wakes at either 9 or 10 to nurse, sleeps until between midnight and 1am, then wakes every few hours thereafter (nursing each time), and getting up for the day around 8am. Here's where the problem really begins: when he wakes between 12am and 1am, I nurse him but he REFUSES to go back to sleep. Last night when I went to put him back in his crib he arched his back, tensed his body, and screamed. He kept doing it so I caved and let him sleep in the bed with us. Whether or not he sleeps in his crib or in our bed, he wakes several times a night. I feel like every night I'm shoving my boob in his mouth every couple of hours because he constantly wants to nurse. It doesn't help that he only naps twice per day and each nap won't last more than 30 minutes.

Sorry this post is so long. I'm just so frustrated and so tired. I guess this is more of a vent than anything. Any moms been through this or have any advice? We both really need a good night's rest for once.

TTC since 9/9/10
BFP 9/7/11 & 9/9/11!! Our anniversary gift!
12/22/11 It's a boy!!

Our sweet boy born 5/11/12

Cloth-diapering, breastfeeding mama!
May 22nd, 2013, 08:02 AM
My son is also like that there are days when he sleeps well and days when he cries for no reason at all, I would give him milk but he doesn't want it, he only stops when me or my husband carries him until he sleeps.

How long will it be like that? I hope it ends sooner than later but it will vary i think, my cousin just said last night that It will normalize when they reach 3, my friend said her daughter skill wakes up in the middle of the night and she's already 2

We just have to be more patient with our children and try to sleep by the time they sleep so we get enough rest too
May 28th, 2013, 12:52 PM
AndieP's Avatar Regular
This seems like a lot of night time feeds! How often are you feeding him during the day? This has a huge effect on the number of night feeds. However, you said he was only waking once when he was 4 months old.

Without knowing all the details, my guess is that he is having a lot of daytime time feeds, which is effecting his need for more feeds at night.
June 6th, 2013, 05:59 PM
Veteran
I'm having the same issues with my 6 month old, except she doesn't wake to eat everytime. She'll nurse or have a bottle a few times, and the rest she'll either want her paci, her blanket to rub on her face, or me to pick her up then she'll fall right back to sleep. She always falls right back to sleep, but when she wakes you up every 2-3 hours, sometimes ever hour and 1/2, it's pretty difficult to function when your working full time. The strangest part is, she slept wonderful up until she was 3 months... Sometimes 8 hours straight without waking up...
July 19th, 2013, 07:59 AM
Hello I'm new here too but I do know exactly what you are going through. I was never a fan of the cry it out method but I think if you try it it might work. When Aiden was born he slept through the night believe it or not. Around 5 months he started waking up 2 to 3 times a a night. That was terrible because I had to go to work in the morning. One day I just couldn't bare to get up so he cried for about 2 minutes than he laid back down and started talking to himself and eventually he went back to sleep on his own. The next night I tried the same thing to see whT would happen. 2 minutes turned into 1 minute than he did the same routine. By a weeks time he started sleeping through the night. If he did wake up he would stand up to see if anyone was awoke and If not he would plop back down and go right back to sleep. I even took notice on his different cries. Is his cry different from his hungry or hurt cries. My bay wS whining and he just basically wanted to confort nurse. Well now thank God he sleeps through the night and once in a blue he might cry so I give him a sippy cup because like us I'm sure his mouth is dry and he needs a sip of something. And we don't night nurse because when he wakes up he would confort nurse and sometimes he could do that for hours. But the cry it out method worked for us and it took less than a week. I did this when he was 10 1/2 months

I hope things get better for you.
September 19th, 2013, 10:52 PM
Such small babies are bound to wake up during nights. But if that is very frequent then there is something wrong.

Tags
breastfeeding , night wakings , nine month old

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search