First Time Mom, Breastfeeding Question for 16 Day Old

Forum: Moms of Infants

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By CrunchyMommaTo2
  • 1 Post By CrunchyMommaTo2

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Moms of Infants LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 27th, 2013, 05:49 PM
My 16 day old daughter, Nova, is wanting to eat constantly, and this has been going on for 4 days now. She does well overnight, waking to eat every 2-3 hours (sometimes I even wake her!). But the last few days, she has been eating every hour if not more and has been inconsolable until I let her latch. Sessions can last anywhere from 15-45 minutes...though if she falls asleep, I unlatch her and try and get her somewhere cozy to sleep...she usually wakes within 10 minutes of this. Is this normal?! I don't even have enough milk left to pump, maybe a half ounce after a marathon session like this.

Similarly, what is the scoop with breastfeeding and occasionally giving bottles of formula? Any advice?

Please help! Thank you!
August 27th, 2013, 06:17 PM
CrunchyMommaTo2's Avatar Proud Momma
First off congrats!

Nursing around the clock is completely normal at that age, they have very frequent growth spurts. Why are you pulling her off when she falls asleep? They still nurse in their "sleep" and will pull themselves off when they are finished. Putting her down disrupts her sleep cycle and that is why she is waking up, she may also not be completely satisfied because you detached her before she was finished. Hang in there, it will get better. You can usually start pumping around week 3 or so to get a stash of breastmilk for bottles. I would not suggest giving a bottle of formula because it will have a very negative effect on your milk supply especially this early before your supply is established. You can pump after each feed for a few minutes.. You wont get much right now but it will tell your body you need more milk and then you will produce more. Then you can pump and give a bottle of pumped milk when necessary. Just be sure to pump when she takes any bottles as well
jewelbreeze likes this.

August 27th, 2013, 06:52 PM
Most of the time, the reason I unlatch her is so maybe I can catch some ZZZZs, too! I try not to fall asleep while she's feeding, but it has happened already more times then I care to admit. Luckily, I'm a very light sleeper, so if she makes a peep, I'm up.

I'm just not sure what kind of supply I'm supposed to have. I have been pumping since shortly after we brought her home, and usually can get a half ounce to an ounce out of the side she doesn't eat. I let her eat fully on one side, then offer the other side if she wants it. She often doesn't take the other side, so I pump that. I have about 15 2 ounce portions stored in the freezer so far.

I guess half of the reason I'm SO worried is 1) she was 6.8 at birth, dropped to 5.14 and two weeks later is only up to 6.3 and 2) I just didn't know if I was keeping up with her demand! Seems like she just wants to eat and eat and eat!

I want to do the best I can by her, any way I can!
August 27th, 2013, 07:35 PM
CrunchyMommaTo2's Avatar Proud Momma
Learning to sleep while nursing will save your sanity
Its how I nurse all night with a baby who still wakes every hour all night. Latch and then I go back to sleep.
An ounce at this age is awesome, especially for a frequent feeder. Remember a pump is never as effective at emptying the breast as baby is. I would suggest pumping the side she eats from when she is finished during the day and leaving the other side "full"'for her next feed. You are never really empty but if you are pumping the other side you are technically taking part of her next feed. My babe only just recently started nursing from both sides now and then at some feedings.
Dont worry so much about weight if she seems full, content, and has plenty of wet diapers each day. And she is obviously eating well if she is almost back at birth weight.
jewelbreeze likes this.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search