how do you cover a boo-boo

Forum: Moms of Infants

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Moms of Infants LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 28th, 2013, 06:39 PM
topato's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
on a nine month old's finger?

my lo got a tiny cut on his index finger while he was playing yesterday. not deep, but just deep enough for there to bit the slightest bit of blood.

i rinsed it off, then grabbed a small strip-style bandaid, cut it in half, and wrapped it around his finger. the finger then immediately went into his mouth and he sucked on that bandaid. about twenty seconds after i covered the cut, he was almost done removing it.

so i took the bandaid off the rest of the way, and tossed it out. ...i dont want him to choke on the darn thing, and it's clearly not protecting his finger.

so now, it's about 24 hours later, and it's a little red and swollen. i've washed his hands a bunch of times throughout the day, but he eats with his hands, he crawls using his hands... you know how little ones are. i think he'd just suck off any bandaid i put on him, and he's too big for those mitten things they give you to keep newborns from scratching themselves.

point is, right now i don't think it's infected, just sore looking. but i don't want it to get infected, either. any suggestions as to how i can make sure to keep it clean?
October 29th, 2013, 03:28 PM
CrunchyMommaTo2's Avatar Proud Momma
They make liquid bandaid but it stings for a few seconds.

October 29th, 2013, 05:38 PM
topato's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
can i use that if his finger's going to go into his mouth again, though?
October 29th, 2013, 06:34 PM
CrunchyMommaTo2's Avatar Proud Momma
It will taste bad while wet but once dry I don't see it causing any damage. Might deter him from sucking on it

December 1st, 2013, 09:06 AM
icymommy's Avatar Regular
I know when my son was about 4 months I accidently cut is skin when I was cutting his nails with the nail clipper and I cleaned it and placed a bandage on it and took it off after about 3 hours and just kept the area clean after that. I healed quickly that way.
December 8th, 2013, 09:46 AM
When the area around a cut starts looking red and swollen, it does mean there is an infection. It doesn't mean it's a serious one, usually even a baby's body can take care of a small infection, but keep this in mind. One of the easiest and most thorough ways to clean a small cut is with hydrogen peroxide. Use it once (only once!) when the cut first happens, keep it covered - the liquid bandage another user mentioned is one of the best options for a small cut - and it will heal just fine.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search