Almost 6 month old demands to be held or screams bloody murder

Forum: Moms of Infants

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Moms of Infants LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 21st, 2014, 12:16 PM
Hi everyone! My beautiful baby girl is almost 6 months old. Everyone always comments on how she is always smiling. She truly is the happiest baby in the word... as long as she is being held. When I put my daughter down, it's like it's a completely different baby.*

Here is a little more background information:

Jordan was born in September 2013. My husband and I recently moved to Maryland where we have no family nearby. We live in a very thin walled apartment where our very understanding neighbors have made it known that they can hear every whimper through the walls. (On one side of us is a woman who works from home and on the other side of us is a college student who blasts music to drown out my daughter's wailing.) I stay home with my with my daughter while my husband works.

My daughter has always been the type to demand to be held constantly, but since she has started teething, things have gotten much worse. Lately, also, she will cry unless it is me that is holding her. Being I am home with her all day, I don't mind holding her 99% of the time... but sometimes I would like to use the bathroom... shower... eat... without listening to her scream. Oh yeah, I think that I vaguely recall something called "sleep," but I can't seem to remember what that is.

I know that all my daughter's needs are met. She nurses, in my opion, all too much so I know that she isn't hungry. I make sure that her diaper is always dry. Plus she will go from hysterically crying to hysterically laughing the second that I pick her up... so I know that there is nothing seriously wrong. And as wonderful as my husband is with our daughter, she won't go to him (or anyone else) for more than a few minutes without screaming, so it's not like I get a reprieve on weekends or in the evenings.

The majority of my days consist of me holding her on my lap on the couch (usually on my breast), doing housework with her in the Bjorn, or playing with her on the floor (again on my lap). We go to Mommy and Me twice a week, go to play groups at least once a week, and have several other outings to the mall, supermarket, bookstore, park, etc. whenever the weather permits. She loves doing all these things. We have a swing, bouncer, play station, play yard, play mat, etc. around the house. She will use these items for 5-15 minutes before screaming, and only if I am in her line of sight. Nights are rough. She will sleep for about an hour in her crib before waking up and crying, which means that I have to hold her/nurse her back to sleep. My night is evenly split between me sleeping in my bed and sleeping in a rocking chair in the nursery with her on my breast. We have tried co-sleeping, which worked out great, until my husband rolled over on top of our daughter (twice). A good night's sleep is not worth risking our daughter's life to me. Oh, she refuses naps during the day, unless she is on my lap. Yes, I have tried waiting for her to fall asleep and put her in the crib. She wakes up.

I have posted this on a different forum 2 months ago. A lot of people told me to cherish this moment because she will only be little for so long... not to worry, because it is only a phase...and then it turned ito a heated debate on "crying it out," which isn't really an option in an apartment setting. So, no offense, if we can steer clear of those types of comments... that would be great.

The thing I want to make most clear is that I am not looking to put my daughter down for extended periods of time so that I could do things like play video games like I did before I was pregnant. I seriously just want to take care of my basic needs without listening to her scream.

Thanks in advance for any support/advice.
March 1st, 2014, 01:15 PM
Lou_Lou1979's Avatar Expecting our first!
Im sorry I havent got lots of advice, but just wanted to send hugs and say I went through this with my DD. could never do anything for myself like wash let alone make a coffee, sleep!!! She wouldnt even let anyone else look after her to give me a break. I just wanted to say, it just passed once she started sitting up, sorry i know thats probably not very helpful right now. White noise used to help, hoover, hairdryer, an App on my iphone. Good luck xx
March 7th, 2014, 02:44 PM
Pretty Crispy's Avatar Proud Momma
Co sleep with baby between you and edge of the bed. Bumper on side of bed. Then dh can't roll over on baby.....

Tags
cry , cry it out , held , nurse , sleep

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search