TTC#1 - PCOS

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To TTC JOURNALS LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 3rd, 2008, 09:01 AM
STL_Beth's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I started this journal in the regular TTC board, but I'm moving it over here. Here's my first 2 posts:

Sep 30

I thought starting a journal would be a good way for me to get everything off my chest and possibly get some feedback in the process. Sorry this first post will be a long one.

First of all, I'm 24 (almost 25) and married to my hubby for 2 years (been together for 6). I've been on the birth control pill since I was about 16. I was put on it to regulate my periods, which it worked. I had to switch pills several times and was even not taking any pills for a short time due to the hormonal swings the meds would give me. In Nov 2007, I switched to a new doctor (and so far, a really good doctor) and I told him about the emotional roller coaster I felt like I was on, plus my decreased sex drive. He suggested the Nuva ring, so I gave it a try. It did seem to help a little with the previous symptoms and I loved not having to take a pill every day.

In June 2008, my DH and I talked about going off the BC. We both wanted children and we weren't sure if now was the right time or not. We both loved being around other children, but we kept feeling like we could have more money built up, or establish our careers a little bit more. We were both worried that it would take us as long as it took my parents to get pregnant with me (which was about 8 years) and the fact that I was irregular before. So it was settled that after I was done with my 3 weeks in June, I was to take my ring out, get my period like I should have and then not put another one in.

At first, the plan was to use a condom so that we could be letting the meds get out of my system, but still not get pregnant. That went out the window after a few weeks. We just decided whatever God wanted to happen would happen and we would be happy with that. On July 18, I got my first period post-bc. It was 35 days since my last period and at the time, I wasn't charting, so I have no idea when or if I O'ed that cycle. I thought "ok, this is good, a little longer cycle, but at least i was getting a period".

I read some material that said most girls ovulate 2 weeks prior to their period. I also knew that my CM was more watery around that time. So 2 weeks prior to my expected period at 35 days, we did it like bunnies, even when we were in the same cabin at the lake with my parents!!!!! At that point, I knew we both wanted a baby. My hubby would come up and touch my belly and say cute things....

After 12 days or so, I started my POAS addiction. Negative. I never got the period I expected on CD 35. I started charting right around then. That's when I noticed that my temps seemed pretty low, like I never O'd at all. Sure enough, I didn't.

Around CD 47, FF gave me crosshairs and I got really excited, especially since we BD'ed right around then. A few days later, they were taken away.

Now, here I am.... CD 75 and NOTHING!!!!

Here's the somewhat good news in all of this. I called my doctor yesterday to make an appointment for my yearly exam in November. When I told the receptionist that I hadn't had my period since July 18, she had me talk to the doctor himself. He basically said it's normal to be irregular after birth control and he wouldn't start worrying too much until November. So I made my appt for Nov 19. He did say that if I got my period to call up and make an appt to have my progesterone levels checked and that would tell if I ovulated or not.

So far, I've had lots of ups and downs. We think we are pregnant and I get all excited and then it comes back BFN. I think I've ovulated and it turns out it was just a slight raise in temps. At this point, I'm just trying to keep myself calm and think about other things in my life. I do like charting, but it doesn't make me feel like I'm in "control". I'm still hoping that I ovulate soon and have my period before my doc's appt. If I don't, then I'm hoping my doctor will be able to give me something conclusive and a plan to work on. I really hate it when doctor's tell you that they don't know what's wrong and what to do.....then why the hell are they doctors?????

I'll keep you all posted....

Oct 2

So nothing really has changed since my last post. My temps are still average, so I don't see any signs of ovulation. Although I have noticed some EWCM, so that could be a good sign. Just in case, hubby and I are DTD regularly. We've been talking about Cancun a lot lately - we are planning a trip there in November. It would be just my luck that I would ovulate before then and be on the period while I'm there (BOO). Ideally, I wouldn't mind ovulating that week, so we could conceive while we are on vacation.

Our friends were supposed to come with us on this vacation, but they have since backed out and it will be just him and I now, which isn't a bad thing. I think this will be like a 2nd honeymoon and I'm really excited for all the romantic loving time (this honeymoon will not have any BC involved, so the sex drive will be much higher - I know...TMI).

Oh and I realize I left this out of my "intro" post, but I work as a tax accountant, which I absolutely love. I'm in the process of getting my "CPA" license - which is a long and hard test. I'm very busy this time of year (extended due date of 10/15) and between Jan-April, but the company I work for is very flexible and I will probably be seasonal or reduced hours once I have my first child. My husband works for AT&T as an IT Anaylst. He loves his job, although it can be somewhat demanding. We have 2 furbabies. A cat named "kitty" that is actually at my parent's house. My mom has cancer and is home all the time, so she needs the extra friend more than we do. And a dog named "Buddy" who is a basset hound/black lab mix and is the best dog ever. I'll try to post a pic when I remember.

My Blog
October 3rd, 2008, 09:12 AM
My most recent news is I just noticed I was spotting this morning. Sorry if this is TMI, but it was bright red, so it wasn't old blood. It was only when I wiped, no pad needed. I'm thinking this could be one of the following things:

1. Implantation bleeding. Even though FF hasn't shown that I ovulated yet, I suppose it could be possible that I ovulated a few days ago and BD timing was good. Although if I did get fertilized, would implantation occur this early? I thought it usually took a week or so, but maybe not?

2. Symptom of AF. If I was to get my AF soon, then I'm thinking (looking at my chart) that I did not ovulate this cycle, but I guess a new cycle begins anyway. Remember, I'm still new off the bc, so my doc said it could take a few anovulatory cycles before I'm back to "normal".

3. Random spotting. Sometimes I spot after BD'ing, usually old blood. But it's been at least a day, so I don't think that sparked it, but still it could just be random and I'll have to wait and see what else happens.

While I really would love for me to be pregnant, I really don't think it's happened yet. I have absolutely NO symptoms, not even phantom symptoms....

My Blog
October 8th, 2008, 08:23 AM
Ok, I'm CD 84 and still no sign of AF. Yesterday I input a temp of 97.3 and it gave me crosshairs and I was hopeful about that since I had so much EWCM, but I knew it would either go up even higher today and confirm the fact that I O'ed, or it would go back down, and it went back down to 96.8 - so it took my crosshairs away. I guess I'm happy and sad about this. Sad because if I actually O'ed then I could move on to the next cycle and hopeful that my body was getting back to some sense of normalcy. Happy because since I haven't O'ed, I still have a chance (better than before) of catching that egg.

I'm just trying not to worry about it all too much. We are still in the "let's just see what happens" phase...although not too much will happen without any ovulation. I have contemplated buying some cheap OPK's to see if I get predict O a little better. I'm worried that I'll miss it completely, because I won't test like 4 times a day, probably every day or every other day until I see it getting darker.

I'm going to Cancun from Nov 8-15. I really hope that I don't get AF then (that would just be horrible). It would be really great if I o'ed that week, so not only could we work harder on the babymaking, but I would actually be in the mood too as well. We'll I'll keep y'all posted!!!

My Blog
October 9th, 2008, 04:08 PM
Buttercups's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Good luck to you and I'll join you on your POAS addiction! Oh and Doctors only "practice" medicine. They haven't gotten in down pat yet.

October 15th, 2008, 06:57 AM
CD 90 and still no sign of AF or Ovulation....

I'm trying not to get too discouraged. I'm mostly just mad that my body can't seem to work properly. I'm crossing my fingers that it's really just because I recently went off the bc and that at some point, my body will start regulating itself.

I would like to say that I'm 100% ready for a baby, but to be honest, there are days when I think about how it's nice that we have time to ourselves to go on vacation or that we want to save up more money before we have a baby or I should get more established in my career before a baby. I still want to keep trying, but at least I feel like when I think about those things that it's ok if it doesn't all happen right away. I just have to let nature take it's course and when I'm ready, it will happen.

In the meantime, I will focus on saving up money and working and volunteering at the crisis nursery, etc so that when that time comes, I'll be even more ready. That's all I have right now...just wanted to keep whomever is reading updated.

My Blog
November 24th, 2008, 08:19 AM
Wow, sorry I haven't updated recently. Part of that has been because I've been really busy and part of it is because I wanted time to fully process information before reporting it here. A few days prior to Nov 7, I started spotting. I didn't think too much of it at first since I've spotted a few other times and it never led to anything. Then FINALLY!!! on Nov 7 (CD 112) I got my period!!

Most people wouldn't be too excited about it and trust me, I wasn't super excited that I got it a few days before Cancun, but overall I was glad to be moving onto a new cycle. Although I did notice that I NEVER ovulated that cycle.

Cancun was GREAT - lots of reconnecting time with my hubby!!!!

I got back and on Nov 19, I had my regular annual exam with my doctor. I discussed my cycles with him, as well as the fact that I had irregular periods before bc and the problems my mom had with conceiving. He thinks I have PCOS based on my symptoms, but wants to get bloodwork done to confirm. I will go on Nov 28 for the bloodwork. Also, this test should show if I've ovulated recently as well, which looking at my charts, doesn't look like I have. If that comes back with no ovulation and PCOS (like I'm pretty sure it will), I will start metformin and clomid.

The only thing I'm a bit confused about is I think I'm going to be taking the Clomid CD #3-7 based on what I can make out on the prescription. If that's true, I wonder if I will have to get something to start my period and then I'll start the Clomid. I suppose my period could come on it's own but it probably won't be coming from ovulation.

Looking at a time table, I will have the labs done on Nov 28 and I will speak to the doctor on Dec 3 to discuss the labs. If he starts me on something to jump start my period for the Clomid, that will take like a week to take effect, so CD 1 would be around Dec 10. I would then take the Clomid and assuming I ovulate and everything goes as planned, I should be able to test around Jan 7 (or mayble a little earlier). It all depends on if the Clomid makes me ovulate and when. The other possibility is to take the Clomid right away (without inducing my period first). In that case, if all goes as planned, I would be able to test even earlier.

I know some people, specifically those who have been trying for a lot longer than me, might be upset or angry that I'm moving on to medication so soon. I understand that and I feel for you that you've been trying for so long without any luck. I really do trust my doctor and I can understand why if I'm not ovulating, it's not going to help anyone to just keep trying for another year, I need something to make me ovulate. I feel blessed that I can have such a proactive doctor.

I also realize that any medication, including Clomid, is not a magic drug. It's not going to instantaneously make me pregnant. We still have to time our BD'ing and even then, there's no guarantee. I totally understand this and the other possible side effects, but at this point, we need something to help me ovulate. Even if it's the lasting effects from bc causing me to have irregular cycles without ovulating, I still see no need to continue waiting this out when I could be taking something to fix it. I also doubt things would change anyway seeing that I've had so many problems in the past. I guess I'm just saying that some of you may not even know what I've been through anyway. Many of you girls started worrying about pregnancy when you were ready and started trying. I've worried about this since I was like 16 and they couldn't figure out why I didn't have regular periods. I've always wondered "will I ever have children" and "how hard is this going to be".

I'm not necessarily defending myself here, I just want everyone to know that I do know the risks and success rates here. I read other forums and about other girls who have been down this path with not so much luck. However, I still can't face this battle with the idea that this "probably won't work". I have to be optimistic about this. It's in my personalty to be positive, but also I can't honestly start medication and a plan that I can't have hope in, at least not at first. If this doesn't work the first time, then we'll try it again, and we'll continue with that until it works and if not, then we'll move to something else. I realize that this may be a long and hard road I'm about to travel down, but the only way I can start this journey is to have some high hopes and be positive about this.

And with that, I'm done. I know I asked for comments and advice, but for the reasons noted above, I ask that you please only respond if you have something positive and uplifting to say. Keep your negativity to yourself. THANKS for listening!

My Blog
November 26th, 2008, 09:43 AM
Jesse's_girl's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Jesse's_girl
You go girl. I am so happy that your doc is being proactive that is awesome. I really hope that what he has you starting with will bring results and it won't take to long. I love your attidude about your situation you are a role model for me I have always tend to be a negative thinker saying if I already see it has not happening the way I want then I won't be disappointed I could learn a lesson or two from you. Hang in there and keep us posted hun.
November 27th, 2008, 06:47 PM
Christine_D's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I enjoyed reading your journal! We have a lot in common, as I also work at an accounting firm - although not a CPA, but a marketing manager. My DH and I also love vacationing in Mexico and have been to Playa del Carmen (south of Cancun) 2x and planning to go back in February.

Since I'm new to TTC, I have no negative thoughts on your situation - I almost feel like I would do the same thing - take control over the situation early. Good luck and I hope everything works out well for you!

Thanks to HeatherW for the great siggy!
November 30th, 2008, 09:09 AM
Thank you for the great responses!!!

I went on Friday to get my bloodwork done. I had to go to a separate lab. It went ok, except for the bruise that was left behind. I used to give plasma all the time, and I NEVER bruised. I think the lady just didn't know what she was doing. According to FF, it appears I haven't ovulated so I'm sure that's what my bloodwork will show. I'm not sure what the bloodwork will show in reference to PCOS.

I was very surprised that with Thanksgiving, lots of relatives didn't really ask too much about a potential baby, like they have in the past. It's possible my mom could have told them what was going on earlier and so they thought it would be nice not to ask. Honestly, I haven't been trying that long yet (or maybe I'll never feel this way), but I love talking about a baby in the future, even if it's not happening just yet.

DH came with me to the crisis nursery yesterday. This was his first time. I think he had a good time. He played with some of the little boys there. I think they really look up to him. It was nice to see him in a "kid" environment and do well. It makes me want children even more, but I know it'll happen when it happens. At this point, I just want to ovulate this cycle. Wed, Dec 3 is when I talk to the doctor regarding my bloodwork, I'll update then.

My Blog
November 30th, 2008, 06:38 PM
polarbearmama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Good luck Beth! I hope that your bloodwork yields the answers that your doctor needs to make a diagnosis and form a treatment plan!!!

December 2nd, 2008, 08:48 AM
I posted this in the TTC#1 forum as well...

Have I mentioned that I have the greatest doctor ever? I was supposed to call tomorrow about my test results from my bloodwork I had done. He ended up calling me 1 day earlier (today). I've been to several ob/gyn's in my day. I probably went to 3 or 4 before college and then I saw 3 different ones when away at college. I've had this doctor since last year (when I moved back home) and I'm going to hold onto him! He's the only ob/gyn I've ever been to that is all about the results and I never wait more than 10 minutes in either the waiting room or the exam room.

Anyway, to the test results!!!! He said my progesterone level was at 1.3. He said they like it over 10, so I was way under. I think that means that I haven't ovulated, right? He also said that my testosterone level was at 103 and they like it between 20 and 76, so I'm high in this area. He said that does mean I have PCOS, like he originally thought. He said most of my other levels were either slightly off or normal. He also requested a thyroid test, but thinks it hasn't come back from the lab yet.

Ok, before I start this next part, I want to warn you that I am a control freak and I like to plan EVERYTHING. I also know that things never go that way and I will have to change my plans, but I like to start with plans anyway. So the plan with my doctor is to start the metformin right away. He's going to call in a rx for prometrim (sp?) to induce my period. I take that for 12 days and I should get my period around day 10. That starts my next cycle. Then I will take 50mg of clomid cd 3-7. I'm supposed to bd cd13-15 and then i will go back for more bloodwork on CD 21 to make sure I ovulated.

If I track all this on a calendar, I will start the prometrim tomorrow and my period should be here by dec 12. I will take the clomid dec 14-18. CD 13-15 is Dec 24-26 which will be BD time and then CD 21 is Jan 1, which means I would probably go the day before/after for bloodwork since the lab is closed on new years. Assuming this is what happens and I actually ovulate, I would be able to test by Jan 9. That's exciting to think we could conceive on Christmas!

Ok, so here is my "I'm still really new to all this and I'm confused" questions:

1. Anyone have any experience with prometrium? Does it really work in 10 days or will it take longer? Any side effects?

2. I've heard lots of people say that clomid makes them ovulate much later, like closer to cd 19. I plan on still using FF to track this, but if I do ovulate later, will my bloodwork on cd 21 still show that I ovulated?

3. Anyone have any thoughts on my test levels?

At this point, I really am excited and hopeful. I know that sometimes the clomid won't work and I won't ovulate. I also know that even if it does make me ovulate, there is no guarantee I will get pregnant. But I still am hopeful and positive. All I can do is take this one step at a time right now. The other thing that worries me is how ovulation will be. I have been on bc for so long, that I don't remember what it was like before then. Plus, even before bc, I never had periods regularly, so it's possible I didn't ovulate then anyway. Is it possible I may have NEVER ovulated before??? Or maybe the clomid will make the ovulation feel different? I'll keep you all updated!!!! (sorry this was so long!)

EDIT: Also, I noticed that when I input my temp this morning, I got dotted CH's. I don't think they are right. My temps aren't that high, so I'm sure they will go away in a few days.

My Blog
December 11th, 2008, 06:29 AM
Today is Day 9 of my prometrium meds. The doctor said I should get AF by Day 10 which would be tomorrow. I'm supposed to take my last prometrium on Sunday (Day 12). I know I shouldn't worry, but I fear that I won't get AF tomorrow and that it will take like several days after my last pill before she comes. I haven't really heard of someone taking prometrium and never getting AF, so I'm sure it will come at some point, I just wish sooner rather than later. That way, I can start the clomid and this next cycle going. I already won't be testing till January, I don't want it to be any longer.

That's all I really have to say. I'm glad there are so many girls on TTC#1 that are getting their BFPs. I'm still new enough that I'm excited about any pregnancy news, a tad jealous maybe, but not mad at them or anything. I talked with DH this morning about how I might be a little disappointed if I don't get pregnant the first cycle but that will give me more energy towards the next cycle. I'm actually more worried about me actually ovulating or not. No ovulation = no pregnancy no matter how hard you BD.

My Blog
January 30th, 2009, 04:44 PM
Veteran
Quote:
Today is Day 9 of my prometrium meds. The doctor said I should get AF by Day 10 which would be tomorrow. I'm supposed to take my last prometrium on Sunday (Day 12). I know I shouldn't worry, but I fear that I won't get AF tomorrow and that it will take like several days after my last pill before she comes. I haven't really heard of someone taking prometrium and never getting AF, so I'm sure it will come at some point, I just wish sooner rather than later. That way, I can start the clomid and this next cycle going. I already won't be testing till January, I don't want it to be any longer.

That's all I really have to say. I'm glad there are so many girls on TTC#1 that are getting their BFPs. I'm still new enough that I'm excited about any pregnancy news, a tad jealous maybe, but not mad at them or anything. I talked with DH this morning about how I might be a little disappointed if I don't get pregnant the first cycle but that will give me more energy towards the next cycle. I'm actually more worried about me actually ovulating or not. No ovulation = no pregnancy no matter how hard you BD.[/b]

I'm really interested in hearing what has happened since your last post. I have pretty much the same thing going on, except I have thyroid issues that I'm on meds for. I tried prometrium once back in september, took it for the 12 days and then it took me another 10-14 days for AF to come. Anyway, love to hear more! Read my journal if you want, it tells most of my journey.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search