Christi's TTC #1 Adventure

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree15Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To TTC JOURNALS LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 2nd, 2012, 01:39 PM
wastcougr's Avatar Adopting One of Each!
CD 2, Cycle #4

I don't have much of an update cycle-wise, as I'm only on CD 2, but on the foster care front I think we've made a decision.

I had a lengthy discussion with the director of the organization that we're going through and I let her know some of the frustrations I've been feeling, specifically with already waiting a year and the fact that I'm going to get another year older in two months.

She was very understanding and once again reminded me that these things don't have any timetable and that we have to be patient, but that we do have three other options available to us. These are: changing our desired age range, going on the "emergency placement" list, or doing straight foster care for kids that need homes, but most likely won't be staying or needing to be adopted.

I'm going to talk to DH about it tonight, but I told her that we will most likely go for the straight foster care option as our perfectly good nursery is standing empty now and has been for months, mocking me every time I walk by the door to the room. If I can help a child that needs a home, even temporarily, then maybe that will help the time go by faster until we get our "forever" baby. Or, until we can afford private adoption. I'm not sure which.

I'm actually thinking about finding a second job to that we can pay down some of our debt so we can get approved for an adoption loan. Not sure how realistic that is, but we'll see. Something I can do at home would be GREAT, but I know there are so many scams out there it's not even funny.

The sad/ironic thing about this is that private adoption really really sounds like the best option for us, but the (#^()$^#)&*()&*(& money issue is the only thing stopping us. Unfortunately, it's a formidable obstacle.

So, I guess the plan now is to start doing just regular foster care, seeing what other baby may become available in the meantime, and start paying down debt so we can afford an adoption loan payment. I HATE WAITING. Meanwhile, I hear the clock... Tick, tick, tick, tick...

Oh, and we'll be doing respite care this weekend for a little girl. I haven't talked to the foster mom yet so I don't know how old she is, but we'll only have her for roughly 24 hours. Maybe that will help me get my baby fix for a bit...

-Christi
October 3rd, 2012, 08:45 AM
CD 3, Cycle #4

Nothing much to report cycle-wise, except that the cramps are lingering WELL past when they're normally gone by now. But whatever. They never got as bad as they usually got before, either. I hope this cycle is a litte more like my first one. I'm going to try and curtail the stress during this follicular phase and see if that help me to O within a "normal" time frame. We'll see.

I'm also wondering if the lack of BCPs is still affecting my hormones. During a couple of times with this last cycle I found myself to be REALLY emotional, and one of those times was about a week or so before Oing. I was witchy, teary, angry at the world, etc. and that's not like me during mid-cycle like that. Then, when AF came a couple of days ago, I was SO emotional, and not really about getting a BFN. I was more emotional that we can't do private adoption because of cost, and foster care is taking WAY too long. And that continued into yesterday, too, and that's unusual for me, as well. So maybe my body is still adjusting to not having the BCPs around, even though I've been off of them completely since February or March, I believe.

In other news, DH and I had a discussion regarding foster care/private adoption yesterday. I truly believe that I can't get PG, for whatever reason (pick one: diabetes, age, male infertility, dusty eggs, physiological problem with ovaries/tubes/uterus, etc) and our only options are foster care and private adoption. After talking to the foster care agency yesterday, they believed that we only wanted to adopt (long-term, this is what we want, of course) so they were only looking for kiddos that were imminently going to have parental rights severed. Of course, that doesn't happen very often (close to never would be the practical answer) and that's why it's been taking forever. The other option we have is to do regular foster care, with the understanding that whatever child we get will likely leave at some point. If we're OK with that, then we can do foster care until our "forever daughter" comes along.

During the time that we're doing that, we're giving a child a great start in life, of course, and even if we have to say goodbye to her, at least we know that she'll have that foundation for however long we have her.

Also while we are doing this, DH and I are going to get some debt paid off so that if we STILL don't have any luck with the foster care system, we will then begin investigating adoption loans and going through an agency.

So, I think this is a win-win for everyone: foster kids get a place to go and get some quality parenting, the foster care agency can better utilize us after spending the money to train and license us as foster parents, and we can get some experience with children while we wait for "ours." It will also help the time go by more quickly as I'm now just walking by an empty nursery 15 times a day. Virginia also will benefit from this, as well, as she'll be able to develop empathy for others, among other things.

Wow. I didn't realize how much I was babbling... I really feel good about this decision, however, and though I do hope that our "forever daughter" is on her way, at least there is a plan in the meantime.

Happy Hump Day to all! I never did like that expression, but in a TTC forum, it has double meanings!

-Christi

Last edited by wastcougr; October 3rd, 2012 at 08:49 AM. Reason: Stupid censoring...
October 3rd, 2012, 09:27 AM
Nicholle ttc's Avatar TTC our first!
Sorry about the long lasting cramps. I think it is so wonderful that you foster children! Hopefully you are wrong and you will be able to get pregnant so that you don't have to foster/adopt in the future.

Natural cycles-August 2011-July 2012
August 2012-October 2012 clomid and progesterone
November 2012-IUI
December 2012, cysts from IUI, on bcp

January 2013-February 2013, long protocol IVF
15 eggs retrieved, 11 mature, 7 fertilized with ICSI
All 7 made it to 5 day transfer, 2 were transferred
Only 1 frozen snowbaby
1st IVF

May 10, 2013, lap sx, Stage 1 endo

June 2013 - MA Round 2
Femara + hcg shot
IUI # 2

FET tentatively scheduled for 10/31/13

Have never seen a bfp.

October 12th, 2012, 09:23 AM
CD 12, Cycle #4

I didn't realize how long it had been since I had written in this journal, but whatever... It's my journal to do whatever I want with it, right?

Anyway, there's a lot to report, and since I'm only on CD 12, you know it's not related to TTC.

I'm still waiting to O, of course. And I'm not doing very well trying to curtail the stress to help it along, either. (More on that in a bit). All of the OPKs I've done have been less than negative (the ones where you say, "Is that a line there? Do I see a line? Maybe that's a line?" It's more like an HPT result than an OPK result). Although there was one a couple of nights ago that was almost positive after I looked at it nearly an hour after taking it. I know that doesn't mean squat, but it was weird that that particular test was the only one that has ever done that. I'm completely discounting it anyway, however.

So in other news...

Today would have been my sister's 44th birthday. Earlier in the week, I thought I was prepared for this day. Turns out I wasn't. I've been a blubbering mess so far today at work and I don't think it's going to get any easier. Tonight DH and I are going to go out to dinner to celebrate her birthday and reminisce about the real version of her that I remember (she died of liver disease caused by alcoholism). I miss her terribly every single day and I know (pray) that she is at peace now. If any of you have sisters, please call them and tell them you love them. Now. You never know when you might not have that chance again. It brings me some comfort knowing the last thing I ever said to her was that I loved her.

On a potentially happier note... In my last journal entry I wrote about a decision that Hank and I made regarding fostering. Three days after I informed our agency of the change, we got an e-mail asking us to take in a 14-month-old girl who was living in a town 2 hours away from Tucson. Her visits with her mother and older sister were in Tucson and it was a hardship for her to have to commute both ways twice a week. Before we could make a decision, however, the situation changed. The mother took off without telling anyone about leaving and now they were looking for a home for both the 14-month-old and her 5-year-old sister. In addition, because of the alleged abandonment by the mother, parental rights would most likely be severed immediately. We were asked if we would take both of them. Before we could say yes, however, there seems to be a delay legally, and now we're not sure what is going on. Maybe the fathers (each of them has a different father) are now involved, maybe other family members want them, we don't know. I've gotten used to the idea of having two, though, especially if they are sisters. I told Hank a year ago that if this type of situation came up, I would be willing to take them to keep them together. And, depending on the exact age of the older one (closer to 6? Just turned 5?) they may have a similar age gap to Lisa and I (5 years, 2 months). We haven't heard anything from anyone since last Thursday, however, so I'm not sure what's going on but it's frustrating!

So, this weekend we will be going to Phoenix to pick up a bed and mattress for the 2nd girl. Of course, we don't know if we'll be getting them, but if not them, then maybe another set of sisters so we want to be prepared.

I guess that's it for now. Thanks for reading this far if you have.

Have a great weekend,
Christi

Last edited by wastcougr; October 12th, 2012 at 09:28 AM. Reason: Stupid typos...
October 12th, 2012, 09:30 AM
Oh, I forgot to add that I finally figured out what this smiley means:

It's means "Nursing at Keyboard." I was lurking in another board and someone had a blinky with "NAK" in it and it flashed to say "Nursing at Keyboard."

I hated not knowing what that one meant...It bothered me.
kbpeanut likes this.

Last edited by wastcougr; October 18th, 2012 at 03:06 PM.
October 12th, 2012, 09:51 AM
I'm so sorry about the loss of your sister. That must have been devastating. Remember to take all the time that you need to mourn her, especially today. I'm glad that your last words to her were that you loved her. My sister and I say that we love each other everytime we end our phone calls/visits.

KUP about fostering. I'm sorry that there is such a delay. Again, you do such good deeds, karma owes you....hopefully with a +OPK and then a +HPT!
wastcougr likes this.

November 2012-IUI

Only 1 frozen snowbaby
1st IVF

June 2013 - MA Round 2
Femara + hcg shot
IUI # 2

Have never seen a bfp.

October 16th, 2012, 09:44 AM
Sorry that you haven't heard anything yet.

November 2012-IUI

Only 1 frozen snowbaby
1st IVF

June 2013 - MA Round 2
Femara + hcg shot
IUI # 2

Have never seen a bfp.

October 16th, 2012, 02:56 PM
kbpeanut's Avatar Scooter!
I'm sorry about the loss of your sister. I'm glad you are able to do something to remember her in a way that is meaningful to you.

I love reading about your fostering stories. There are so many kids out there that need homes - both permanent and temporary - and it's so wonderful for you to open your home to those that are in need. I am adopted, and if my parents hadn't been willing to open their hearts and home to me and my brother (not biological), I don't know where I would be today. I'm forever thankful.

KUP on how things progress with the sisters!
wastcougr likes this.
October 17th, 2012, 02:14 PM
CD 17, Cycle #4

Well, here I am again, still waiting to O longer than "normal" and longer than I had to wait to O for my first cycle I charted back in June. For that cycle, I O'd on CD 15, but the next two cycles were CD 28, and CD 32, respectively. I had hoped that they were so drawn out because of stress (travelling, sick, etc.) but I'm not so sure now. Maybe I'm still adjusting to no BCPs, as well, but really?! It's been 8 months or so since I stopped taking them.

The only "weird" thing thus far is that my OPKs for last week (Thursday and Friday) looked really dark after drying but now, even dry, the test lines barely show. So I'm not sure if I was gearing up to O and then the stress of my sister's birthday delayed it, or what. This whole TTC thing exhausts me sometimes. I had previously decided that I was going to chart for this cycle and then not chart cycle #5 and see what happened, and that option is really appealing right now. So I think I'm going to stick to it. IDK.

On the foster care front, we STILL don't know anything about the two sisters. I sent an e-mail to our original caseworker (we got a new one on October 1) asking her what she knows about them. Turns out she doesn't know anything about them or their situation, but she said she would suggest to our worker that she contact us, without letting on that she and I talked about it. I'm really getting used to the idea of two young girls and I'll be sad if we can't get these two, but I know ours are out there somewhere. I'm beginning to believe (even more) that we are meant to go the foster care route instead of the getting PG route. I just don't see that happening without serious MA, and then we can't afford all that will entail. Blah.

Otherwise, I'm just going through the motions of life while this HUGE part is still up-in-the-air. It's so annoying. The nursery has two beds in it now (convertible crib and twin bed) so we're ready for a sibling group should they come our way. Virginia is even pretty excited to have TWO younger sisters. I swear, that girl has a heart the size of Texas x2!

I guess that's all that's really exciting going on now... I HATE being in limbo.

-Christi
October 17th, 2012, 09:34 PM
Quick update:

The OPK I did tonight (first one I've had a chance to do all day) was DEFINITELY darker than the ones prior for this cycle. So, here's hoping that we're getting close...
October 18th, 2012, 05:33 AM
F/X'd that you will O soon!

So sorry that things still remain up in the air for you!
wastcougr likes this.

November 2012-IUI

Only 1 frozen snowbaby
1st IVF

June 2013 - MA Round 2
Femara + hcg shot
IUI # 2

Have never seen a bfp.

October 18th, 2012, 10:08 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Fx'd for your OPks getting darker over the next day or so, it sucks that its taking so long

Sorry the fostering situation is still unclear, i can imagine how anxious you are to have them with you now youve everything in place for them. So sweet that Virginia is excited!
wastcougr likes this.

Thank you Vicki for my amazing siggie!

October 18th, 2012, 03:11 PM
CD 18, Cycle #4

Just a quick psuedo-update... I've done one more OPK since posting about the one last night and it was just as dark. BDing is on the schedule for tonight, so we'll see how dark the OPKs are tomorrow. Hopefully I'll O this weekend...

Still no news about the foster care girls. I'm thinking I'll call tomorrow if I still haven't heard anything.
October 23rd, 2012, 03:35 PM
CD 23, 1 DPO (I think!)

So this last few days have been pretty interesting on many levels. First, I THINK I'm 1 DPO today but the temp this morning was skewed because I woke up early. I HATE that. I guess we'll see what the temp is for tomorrow. I had FF correct the temp for this morning, and it's certainly not the jump I'm used to seeing after Oing. But whatever.

I got positive OPKs on Sunday (I mean REALLY positive - more positive than they have been, if that makes sense) and of course I woke up EARLY Sunday morning (like 2am) with a fever. I can't remember the last time I had one of those... I felt yucky going to bed Saturday night, but never thought it was that.

Anyway, felt better Sunday and then Monday morning felt bad again, but no fever. The OPKs I did on Monday were negative, and my CM has been creamy mostly. A little wet, perhaps, but I think that's a little bit of a stretch. It's creamy again today, as well, so now I don't know what to think. And, I think this is at least the 2nd time I've geared up to O this cycle.

In other news, DH had comprehensive blood work done recently and we got the results back yesterday. His testosterone is WAY low...to the tune of 60 points below the LOW end of the normal range. I'm not sure what all that means as far as TTC, but he's got an appointment with a urologist at the end of this month and I BEGGED him to have an SA done. He agreed. I believe I will be calling my OB/GYN and getting done what I can in the infertility dianostic department as soon as I can, as well.

It's just ANOTHER thing telling me it's not meant for me to have my own children...

As for the foster kiddos, I still don't know much about that situation. I talked to our agency worker last Friday and she said SHE hasn't heard anything from CPS yet regarding the status of the case. I was sure to tell her, however, that we are ready for them if they come to us. And she was still very encouraging about our chances, so we'll see.

Warning... The following contains a very formidable . Don't say I didn't warn you.

Meanwhile, the ex-wife is still driving me bonkers. I'm going through open enrollment at work now and she asked me if we could add Virginia to my dental insurance so that she doesn't have to pay for it. EXCUSE ME?! We're giving you roughly $600/month to have your child for 8 days out of that month (at most), and you can't afford to pay for dental coverage for her?! DH is already covering her on the retired military plan, but we think she's going to need comprehensive work done (thanks, again, to the ex for not doing it when she was younger) and having dual coverage would be nice.

To that effect, I sent a text to the ex a bit ago asking for Gin's SSN. I need that to enroll her in benefits under my plan and she didn't know it. She said she only uses it once a year (to claim her on her taxes, I'm assuming) and doesn't have it memorized. That reminded me to have a chat with DH tonight about all of that BS... We are NOT going to give her the child support money, pay for benefits (she has asked I cover her with my medical insurance, as well), AND allow her to claim Gin on her taxes. NO WAY!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm tired of this crap!!!!!!

Hank figured out recently that he should only be paying her roughly $150/month instead of the $600 we are currently. And that's only because she's STILL listed as the custodial parent; that's a bunch of bull, as well. I think he's finally understanding the fire I've been trying to put under him regarding all of this. By not getting it changed, he's allowing our lifestyle to be affected because of HER. I've had it; things will be changing now.

Ok, rant over. For now. Anyone have any experience with the low testosterone situation?
October 23rd, 2012, 05:06 PM
I'm so sorry about the crazy ex-wife and especially for your DH's low testosterone. You stated that your husband is ex-military, did he serve overseas? I'm just asking because I work with OEF/OIF Vets who served in Iraq and Afghanistan and many return with very low testosterone, which as you would guess, affects them greatly. Most of them have been placed on a medications that will increase their testosterone production.

When my DH met with the male fertility urologist we talked about this posibility. DH does not have low testosterone (just motility isses at this point), but the urologist stated that if DH did, he would be put on clomid!!!! I didn't anticipate this, but clomid increases men's estrogen level, which causes their bodies to create more testosterone. That's how he explained it to us. Hopefully your DH can be put on meds (possibly clomid) that will increase his levels. I'm glad that he agreed to SA. Hopefully he won't have any additional issues!

November 2012-IUI

Only 1 frozen snowbaby
1st IVF

June 2013 - MA Round 2
Femara + hcg shot
IUI # 2

Have never seen a bfp.

October 25th, 2012, 01:07 PM
Nicholle - Yes, DH was overseas many times. I told him what you said in your response and he doesn't doubt a lot of men have this issue due to some vaccination they got when they went overseas. His urology appointment is Monday, so we'll see what happens. He says he's willing to do/try whatever to see if it works.

And now, for the TTC update:

CD 25, 3 DPO, Cycle #4

FF confirmed my O date today, although this was one of the weirdest cycles concerning O and temps I've had. Oh well, as long as it happened, I guess it doesn't matter. It's another "late" month for me, with O happening on CD 22, but with the exception of the first month charting, this is the earliest yet. And, I think I would have O right on time (CD 14/15/16) if the stress of my sister's birthday hadn't happened. Who knows...

I'm really not sure how many more cycles I'm going to chart. My membership to FF is up after this cycle, roughly, and I really don't think this is going to happen. If it did, I'd be the highest risk PG woman on the face of the planet, I'm pretty sure, and controlling the blood glucose would be SO HARD. It's not like diabetes is a walk in the park, anyway, but to complicate things even more with being PG, I can't even imagine. Of course I'd do it, but still... the risk terrifies me.

And, I know that DH has a preference for older children. Too bad I can't give birth to a baby who was already a year old.

Anyway, speaking of older children... I heard today that CPS (Child Protective Services) has found a relative that they are evaluating for the two girls. They will know "next week" whether that is a viable placement. If not, we will be contacted. I'm not sure whether that means Monday, or Friday at 5pm. We'll just have to see. I HATE WAITING. I know that if it's meant to be, it will be. If not, we won't get them and there is some other child(ren) waiting for us. But still... The process takes so (*#(&*#& long and I'm not getting any younger, clearly.

Well, I guess that's it for now. I need to get some actual work done today, if that's possible.

Hope everyone has a great day!

-Christi
November 6th, 2012, 12:13 PM
How are you doing Christi? Haven't heard from you in awhile. Miss you! XO

November 2012-IUI

Only 1 frozen snowbaby
1st IVF

June 2013 - MA Round 2
Femara + hcg shot
IUI # 2

Have never seen a bfp.

November 6th, 2012, 03:57 PM
CD 37, 15 DPO, Cycle #4

Sorry I've been MIA recently... I've just been relegating myself to the fact that pregnancy for me is most likely not going to happen and even if it did, by some miracle, it would be difficult (to say the LEAST) with the diabetes and all. I have done one test and it was a BFN, as expected, 12 DPO. I haven't done one since then, but I STILL have not seen AF.

Don't get me wrong, I've had ALL of the symptoms of AF, except the cramps, but I typically don't get those until CD 1. So, I'm just waiting now. If I don't see AF for another couple of days, I'll do another test. I'm thinking that I may have just O'd later than I thought which would be really stupid because we stopped BDing on what I thought was O day. And, with DH's questionable sperm situation, I doubt they would have lived long enough if I Oed later than I thought. Blah.

Anyway, speaking of DH's spermies, he made a "deposit" today for the SA. I'm not sure when he's expecting the results back, but I'll give it a week or so before I nag him to call his Urologist. We'll see how the low testosterone is affecting his SA. His urologist, however, said that the low testosterone MAY not have ANY affect on us TTC. I can't fathom how that is possible, but we'll see.

Meanwhile, I'm getting BOMBARDED with people bringing in their newly born babies for show-and-tell.

In other news, the two girls we were hoping to get MAY be going to a relative. CPS has put their case on hold for the moment, so our worker is looking for other kiddos for us. She called us last night with a brother/sister, but the situation didn't feel right for us so we turned her down. I felt INCREDIBLY guilty about it, but when you know it's not right, it's not right.

Anyway, DH is on his way to pick me up, so I better get going. Just wanted you all to know that I haven't dropped off the face of the planet and I will catch up with everyone over the next few days.

Thanks for reading and checking in,
Christi
November 7th, 2012, 05:09 AM
Sorry about BFNs and your foster situation. I agree with you, if it doesn't feel right, it doesn't feel right. Thanks for posting. Just remember we are here for you if you need anything!

November 2012-IUI

Only 1 frozen snowbaby
1st IVF

June 2013 - MA Round 2
Femara + hcg shot
IUI # 2

Have never seen a bfp.

November 9th, 2012, 09:35 AM
CD 40, 18 DPO, Cycle #4

I can't believe the hasn't arrived yet. I have gotten many of the normal PMS symptoms for me, but she just refuses to show up. I guess I should be happy about this, but at the same time, it's just another example of how my body likes to keep me guessing. It's highly frustrating, as I'm sure you all know by now. I have done two HPTs and both were most certainly negative, but I'll do another one tomorrow morning if AF hasn't arrived STILL.

I can't stand the inconsistency from cycle to cycle. WHY does this have to be that complicated, you know?

Anyway, on to other subjects. Yesterday was a pretty note-worthy day in the foster care arena. We were assigned a new case worker for our placement agency as of October 1 and she came out to meet us/see the house yesterday. During her visit, she told us of a 13-month-old girl that is currently in foster care but her foster family is moving to Oklahoma and needs to find another home for her. She's expected to go back to bio parents in February (although that is NO guarantee, of course) but this is a straight foster placement at this time. I talked to the foster mom later in the day and this sounds like it might work for us, so we'll be meeting the little girl Monday and then providing a weekend's worth of respite care for her next weekend. If everything goes well, we'll have her in our home as a placement by the first week of December (happy birthday to me!).

Also, last May we provided respite for a 6-month-old girl that I FELL IN LOVE WITH in the first 5 minutes. We had her for 5 days while foster mom was in CO and I HATED to give her back. Last night we went to a foster parent training and her foster mom was there. The agency provides child care while the training goes on, and she said that the baby was in that child care! I got to see her again! She's 11 months now and she has GROWN. Her hair is much longer, of course, and I did have trouble recognizing her, but as soon as her mom picked her up and I got a good look at her chin, I knew it was her!!!! I didn't get to hold her because we didn't have much time to visit, but it was so good seeing her smile and wave goodbye to me. I'm sure she doesn't remember me, but it was still nice to see her. I told her foster mom (again) that I don't care how old this child gets... If she need an adoptive home at 16 I would take her! :-) We've done respite for 4 babies thus far and she's the only one I feel this way about, but she just pulled my heartstrings from the first moment, I guess... Her mom is in rehab now, so we'll see what happens after she gets out.

Anyway, not much else to report. We are pursuing getting the child custody order changed for Virginia since we are the custodial parents now. That will, in turn, change the child support order which is what we want. We still haven't talked to her mother about this, but I'm actually looking forward to that discussion.

Well, time to get some work done, I suppose. Happy long weekend (for those of you in the States and have Monday off - like me)! Sometimes I love being a State employee!

-Christi

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search