Jeralynn's TTC #1 Journal

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree22Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To TTC JOURNALS LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 21st, 2013, 06:31 AM
momology's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Congrats on the weight loss!! I feel like getting started is always the hardest part for me. I agree with the other ladies about the gym with classes (although I am guilty of belonging to such a gym and not making it to the classes very often - but when I get in the routine of it I go to the classes for several months and then life gets busy. . . )

Thank you *Kiliki* for the amazing siggy!!

Expecting our first baby August 25th, 2014!!!

May 21st, 2013, 08:45 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I would LOVE to join a gym and do group classes... the problem is the nearest gym is an hour away. I would go broke paying for a gym membership PLUS gas money getting to and from classes!!! Not to mention, I'd lose so much time from my day!!

So that leaves me to my own devices. Here's what I'm thinking... please, PLEASE, weigh in with opinions:
1. There is NO reason why DH & I shouldn't be taking walks every. single. day. We were going to start yesterday, but after we were done in the garden, we were sore and it was about to rain. So we'll start today.
2. I have a few wii games that I've had great success with before (3 years ago, I lost 25 lbs using them!). So I plan to use Just Dance, Wii Active, Wii Fit Plus.
3. I'd also like to finally try the 30-day shred. I've heard it's intense, but I want to try it...
4. I want to start doing yoga either every morning or night.

Okay, things are about to get seriously honest... and I'm showing a TON of vulnerability:
Here's my fear about WW: that I'll fail. That I'll be miserable and won't be able to do it. That I'll lose all the yummy things that I eat and that I'll crave them and then blow it. That I'll go on vacation and blow it.
I feel like if I DON'T go on an actual plan, then I won't actually fail... I fear accountability.

Whew. I said it. You'll read it and know how I feel about it and know that I sat here crying as I typed it. Be gentle to me!
May 21st, 2013, 09:23 AM
Nicholle ttc's Avatar TTC our first!
Ultimately the choice is yours and you have to decide the right time to join any program. I selected a date that worked for me and joined ww meetings. I transitioned to ww online after failed IVF due to cost.

Here are my 2 cents....

I'm not trying to sound too pollyana or too unrealistic, but you really won't fail if you keep working at the program. Honestly, for the first week you will feel hungry a lot of the time. When this happens fill your belly with fruits and veggies and you'll be okay (almost all fruits and most veggies are 0 ww plus points). Activity counts towards your points, so be active. You will gain extra points this way, that you can use towards food and you'll feel better and be less hungry. You may relapse. You may have a horrible work/personal day where carbs is the only cure. Eat the food and track the points. Don't deprive yourself as you may binge later. That very next day get right back on track by eating well again. Also, in the beginning you will lose a lot of weight. Then if you don't change your diet or exercise you will begin to plateau. You will then need to vary your diet and exercise to help you continue to lose the weight. It definitely can be done.

If you decide to do ww online the biggest piece of advice that I can give you is don't give up. Last week I didn't track at all, due to my surgery. Several of my recovery days I ate whatever I wanted to. I gained 2 lbs last week. I'm bummed about it, but I understand why it happened and I'm okay with it. This week I'm working out (as much as I can), eating well and tracking. I anticipate that I will lose weight this week and even more next week as my body catches up.

On a personal note, what really helped me lose the weight was that I kept telling myself that I'm doing this for my baby. I told myself that I won't be able to conceive until I lose the weight (though no doctor told me that). That motivated me and still motivates me to keep going; even though I now know that I have fertility issues not related to weight. Now, I'm 2 lbs away from being in a healthy range for my height and 5 lbs away from my first goal weight.

I truly, truly believe in you and I know that you can do it. Even if you stumble and have weight loss set backs (believe me, I've had them, failed IUI, IVF procedure, coping with failed IVF, hormone issues after IVF, injured knees, traveling for work, now lap sx--all in the last 6 months), you can still forge ahead and keep working at it.

PM me for support. If you decide to join let me know and I can give you my phone number, you can text me if you need someone to talk you out of eating something that isn't good for you.

Also, if you decide not to join, there will definitely not be any judgment. You have to do what is right for you. If ww is not the right path, something else will be. Just wanted to give you my 2 cents. Know that I am here for you no matter what you decide.

Natural cycles-August 2011-July 2012
August 2012-October 2012 clomid and progesterone
November 2012-IUI
December 2012, cysts from IUI, on bcp

January 2013-February 2013, long protocol IVF
15 eggs retrieved, 11 mature, 7 fertilized with ICSI
All 7 made it to 5 day transfer, 2 were transferred
Only 1 frozen snowbaby
1st IVF

May 10, 2013, lap sx, Stage 1 endo

June 2013 - MA Round 2
Femara + hcg shot
IUI # 2

FET tentatively scheduled for 10/31/13

Have never seen a bfp.

May 21st, 2013, 01:21 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Well... Nicholle already knows this because I facebooked her as soon as I did it...

But... I signed up for Weight Watchers online. I still have my reservations. But, I know that I have my DH backing me and now I know that I have Nicholle's support...

And she's right. I want to do this for my baby. I want to do this because I know that being pregnant at the weight I'm at now would be MISERABLE. So... here's to my new journey!
Nicholle ttc and remisue16 like this.
May 21st, 2013, 02:06 PM
So proud of you and you should be proud too!

November 2012-IUI

Only 1 frozen snowbaby
1st IVF

June 2013 - MA Round 2
Femara + hcg shot
IUI # 2

Have never seen a bfp.

May 21st, 2013, 02:08 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I agree with alot of what Nicholle said about WW. I joined in July last year after being told by my doctor that he couldnt refer me for fertility treatment until I lost just over 30lbs. That gave me massive motivation but also an immense about of pressure. Unbelievable pressure in fact. I too was convinced I would fail, but I thought i'd take it one week at a time. I've always been overweight, and never really been serious about dieting. WW worked for me. I can give a couple of reasons..

1. If I wanted something, I could have it. As long as I tracked the points, I was accountable for it.
2. Activity gives you extra points, when i'm out inspecting I have really long days on my feet and need food to keep me going. I made sure I tracked additional points for these days
3. It worked and I saw some pretty impressive results quite quickly. (see my journal if you get chance)

My only issue with WW, is the plateau Nicholle mentioned. I hit my goal in November and have struggled to loose any significant weight since. Decemeber was a no=go cos of christmas and new year. I just fell out of the habit. Its been a difficult one to get back into. Plus i'm not big on tradional exercise. I would much rather walk the dog or do some housework. I'm currently decorating our second bedroom and believe me, its burning plenty of calories.

Oh and I did have miserable days. still do. days when DF gets to eat what he wants, whether that is pizza or cheese. and I cant cos of the **** WW. I complained about it a fair bit but it didnt kill me. I went to bed early a few times because I knew if I stayed up I would eat cos I was a) bored or b) hungry. I survived. You will too, I promise

I found that talking to DF about the ww and about tracking points, helped to keep me accountable too. Oh also, using the wonderful ladies here for encouragement. They were great and giving me pats on the back each week when I went to be weighed, even if I only lost 1lb or a half lb. They were amazing! We will all be here to support you too.

My tips would be:
1. if your short on time, buy ww snacks as they are already pointed for you. makes it easy. I tend to buy their crisps, yoghurts, bread and cake type snacks
2. Keep your fridge and cupboards stocked full of low point foods - fruit, veggies, soup, no sugar jelly, eggs, wafer thin ham, quorn products
3. Try and eat at home, not out at restaurants. Its much easier to point meals when you've cooked them and know exactly whats gone into them.
4. Involve DH, try and teach him abotu the points, so he understands what your doing and wont keep offering you a slice of pizza or suggesting dessert. (god love him but my DF forgets this a fair bit!)

Please let me know if I can be of any help. I will happily do anything I can to support you!

Thank you Vicki for my amazing siggie!

May 21st, 2013, 05:03 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Jen! Thank you for your tips and SUPPORT!

Day 1 - going well. I'm going to end up over my points, but only because I made a pie before signing up...

BUT... we're moving furniture around like crazy today, plus I did some Wii workouts, so I'll earn a handful of activity points. So far, it's a pretty snazzy set-up!

Thanks again, ladies. Your support and advice has been amazing today. Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!
Nicholle ttc likes this.
May 22nd, 2013, 07:05 AM
Nerd
Go, Jeralynn! Go, Jeralynn!

Expecting our first child in February... Team pink!
1st beta 14dpo = 150
2nd beta 18dpo = 782
3rd beta 23 dpo = 5,362
Missing my puppy, but grateful to have shared a bond with her for two years.
May 22nd, 2013, 07:11 AM
Nerd
Adding: I wouldn't do any of those "30 day shred!!!1!!" or "P90X"

Yes, they produce results. But in my experience they are a little too tough. I have found that starting easy and building mastery through slowly increasing intensity or duration have been the best way to keep me motivated. I'm easily frustrated. It took me 6 weeks to go back to our 30 minutes ab class at the gym because I felt like 1) I wasn't coordinated enough to follow the moves and 2) I felt like I SUCKED at it. Seriously. I couldn't hold the planks and hovers like everyone else could. In time I've gotten much better. Now a 10 second plank or hover is a piece of cake.

In fact, the people who created the gym series (Les Mills) recently told instructors to recommend to new people to only do 4 tracks of any given class for a start. Then they can come back and do 5 tracks the next time. Then 6. And then 7! So even the creators of these programs know that you have to start slowly. It increases your chances of sticking with something if you feel like you aren't a failure at it.

That being said I hope you realize that what you are doing is TREMENDOUS! Seriously. Making chances to your body because you want to be healthier is AMAZING. It's a sign of gratitude. It's saying to the universe: I am me and I am thankful for me. We have to work it because we can!

Expecting our first child in February... Team pink!
1st beta 14dpo = 150
2nd beta 18dpo = 782
3rd beta 23 dpo = 5,362
Missing my puppy, but grateful to have shared a bond with her for two years.
May 22nd, 2013, 07:17 AM
Way to go Jeralynn!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I miss your journal for one day and you have already joined, started it up, and gotten to some activity in!!! I have never done WW but so many of the tips Nicholle and Jen mentioned are exactly what I did that helped me so much (keeping the house stocked with veggies and fruits was probably the biggest one for me, that and really getting DH on board!) You have done amazing already now you just have to keep the momentum going!

May 22nd, 2013, 10:12 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Thank you Sam and Elle!

Sam, I get what you're saying about starting off slowly. One thing that I've already realized (in one day of WW!) is that every minute that I'm not sitting is a start. Knowing that if I clean for an extra 10 minutes and that it counts as ONE POINT!!! is making a huge difference already in the way I view my day-to-day life. Seriously, this is the first time since I woke up that I've sat down long enough to reply to anything. Normally, I would have sat around for an hour after waking up.

So, I think I understand the value of small changes. That being said... for now, I'm going to focus on getting in a daily walk. If I do anything else that's actual "exercise" then it's a bonus... and a piece of cake (literally probably...)

I am noticing that I'm starving today. But I think part of it is just trying to figure out how much points things are worth and how I should spread them throughout the day. And like I mentioned yesterday... I made a glorious strawberry chocolate cream cake that needs to be eaten!! So I want to make sure I save points for that.

----

In other news... apparently, my great-aunt & -uncle, my uncle, and my grandparents are all going to be stopping by our house today. But my mom left her phone at home so she doesn't know when they left and she didn't think to make sure they had my cell phone number... UGHHH!!!! So I better get back to cleaning!! (the house really wasn't a mess, but we are making so many changes right now and trying to do some deep spring cleaning in the process!)

THANK YOU again for your support. I know I will need it.
May 22nd, 2013, 10:16 AM
butterfly721's Avatar TTC #1
Taking a walk a day sounds like a great start! Do you like to go to the gym or do you like to work out outside? I like to go to the gym and walk quickly on an incline. I've been ramping up on my workouts and starting to see more results. So I'm really excited about that! I want you to start seeing results soon, too!!
May 28th, 2013, 07:58 AM
Mega Super Mommy
TTC: 5 mo since going off BCP, 3 mo actively TTC
CD 23 -- definitely O'd. PTL! I was so worried that I wouldn't. I feel positive this cycle. I know the last few months, DH & I haven't BD'd as much as we could have, and I know that isn't the case this cycle. While I was disappointed that we weren't able to last night, I know we still have a shot. Plus, tomorrow night, we got a whirlpool sweet at a nearby hotel (they were 40% off -- so how could we not?!?!). So one more shot to catch the egg. Then the TWW begins...

WW: Week 1. -2 lbs
I did great until Saturday. Then we had a graduation to go to, and my parents took us out to eat beforehand at our favorite Cajun restaurant. We don't eat there often so we all kind of went all in. But afterwards, we walked the 6 blocks to the graduation site, so that was good!! Sunday AND Monday we had BBQ's with various family members, and I TRIED to portion control and eat more veggies than meat/carbs, but it was hard. It was also hard to track points. But, today starts a new WW week, and I'm going to do great this week -- I know it!
May 28th, 2013, 08:05 AM
Yayyy for O!!!!

Fx for you!!!!!!!!!!!

May 28th, 2013, 08:21 AM
Great job on the weight loss! You should be so proud!

I hope that you caught the egg this cycle!!! Have fun tomorrow!

November 2012-IUI

Only 1 frozen snowbaby
1st IVF

June 2013 - MA Round 2
Femara + hcg shot
IUI # 2

Have never seen a bfp.

May 28th, 2013, 09:35 AM
butterfly721's Avatar TTC #1
I'm glad that you O'ed and that you are feeling positive about this cycle!!
May 28th, 2013, 01:43 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Thanks, ladies!
May 29th, 2013, 08:39 AM
Super Mommy
Way to go on the Weight Watchers stuff!! I think that the first couple of weeks are the hardest because you are figuring out how to portion your points in the way that is going to work for you. Also it takes a bit of time for your stomach to shrink back to an appropriate size. Also, to be honest, when I go on vacation I don't worry about weight watchers. Its my vacation and I don't want to track or restrict myself. However, I do try to only sample bad foods and I stop eating as soon as I feel full! This usually helps me to keep my weight gain down to a manageable amount. Good luck and we are all here for you!!

May 30th, 2013, 07:07 PM
Mega Super Mommy
So our mini-cation last night was amazing!!! So relaxing and fun. Without going into the hot & heavy details, I will say that we are finally getting the hang of just "trying" without making BDing feel like work.

I really feel that when we were first trying, it felt like so much pressure. I know part of that was because of other life conditions (i.e. school, my headaches, etc.), but now it's like we get that it can be really fun.

FF hasn't confirmed O yet, but I'm 99% sure that I O'd on CD 23 as I was having quite a bit of pain on my left side -- really pinch-y feeling, ya know? So I don't know if our mini-cation sex will have done any good at catching an egg, but it was great none the less.

I can't say that I'll be totally OK if AF shows this cycle, but I'm aware that it's a possibility. Hey, if she does, it just means another month of crazy BD! (But there will be some sadness...)

In WW news: Took our first grocery shopping trip on WW today. It was time consuming... we tried to get "light" everything, and find things with WW points where we could and scan things that we couldn't. Then tons of things didn't come up in the scanner, so we had to search for them. Ugh... (we should have made a list in advance... ) I think we got some great deals and great food -- really set me up for success!
Boolajoojoo likes this.
May 30th, 2013, 11:06 PM
Super Mommy
Glad to hear that WW is working out and you had a good time grocery shopping for healthy goodies.

Also, a mini-cation sounds awesome. TTC has this way of making BDing a chore.

Woo, you can check out Amy's crazy temps right here.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search