Book suggestions for read alouds with the kids...

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By *Sharon*
  • 1 Post By Jaidynsmum
  • 1 Post By Jaidynsmum

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Siggy Makers' Lounge LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 10th, 2013, 05:23 AM
*Sharon*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have quite the range of ages. I try to read something that Belle (11), Ry (9), and Finn (5) would all enjoy. Zane gets lots of little books read to him throughout the day.

Right now we just finished reading Frindle by Andrew Clements. The kids loved it. So now we are reading No Talking by the same author. He has other books as well, which we are going to see if our library has. Belle and Ryllan read harder books on their own and for school. But this is about the right level that they and Finn are all interested.

So any suggestions????

Sharon, wife to Noah; mom to Belle (12.5), Ryllan (10), Finn (6), and Zane (3).

January 10th, 2013, 05:26 AM
*Kiliki*'s Avatar i have absolute power
hmm good question...what about the Narnia books?

*Kristy wife to Karl, mom to Raianna(13) Elyse(11) and Helena(6) stepmom to Frankie(16)*
click me!---> Come Join us at Stay At Home Mommies!!! <---click me!
click me!---> Come Join us at Mommy Weightloss and Fitness!!! <---click me!
Request Siggy Here SEE GALLERY HERE Request Banner Siggy Here

January 10th, 2013, 05:52 AM
Bokkechick's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I love the Narnia series too...I also have a series that I read as a child that my kids both still enjoy, but it is really hard to find!! Called "The Magic Faraway Tree" by Enid Blyton. She also did "The Wishing Chair" which is similar. Will ask Caitlin what read-alouds they have done at school. Spencer loves all of the Skippyjon Jones books (so do I!!). Will think of some more...
January 10th, 2013, 05:52 AM
I've read the first 4 (I think) with Belle and Ryllan when they are younger. Maybe we could read them again. It has been years and I've never read them to Finn. And I think Ry was so young he probably wouldn't remember them much at all. I think they are still a bit hard for a 5 year old to understand without a lot of mommy translating, if I remember correctly from the last time we read them though. They are great books though and we own them, so they will definitely be read again.

January 10th, 2013, 06:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bokkechick View Post
I love the Narnia series too...I also have a series that I read as a child that my kids both still enjoy, but it is really hard to find!! Called "The Magic Faraway Tree" by Enid Blyton. She also did "The Wishing Chair" which is similar. Will ask Caitlin what read-alouds they have done at school. Spencer loves all of the Skippyjon Jones books (so do I!!). Will think of some more...
We also own the Magic Faraway Tree series--read them last year. My parents read us the Adventure series by Enid Blyton when I was little. So when my grandmother asked for some book suggestions for Christmas 2011 I said anything by Enid Blyton. And she bought the kids that series. They, too, will probably get a reread in a couple years. When Zane is old enough to understand them and Finn will still be young enough to enjoy them as well.

I really want to read the kids the Adventure books by Enid Blyton. When I was a kid they were my favorites. But they, too, are hard to track down. I can find some of them on Amazon. I think I will start getting those. I wish our library had them here. I don't think they are available for the kindle. I wish they were.

I'll look into the others you mentioned as well. Thank you!
Bokkechick likes this.

January 10th, 2013, 06:57 AM
Bokkechick's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Wow...another person who even KNOWS what they are!! I got the Georgina Hargraves illustrated edition as a child, and I LOVED it! It is beautiful...but when I tried to track down the others it was HARD. I bought one or two on Ebay from a lady in Australia!! Enid Blyton is the best for kids! This is the one that I have:

Now Skippyjon Jones is pure fun...you have to do some of it in your "best Spanish accent"...cracks my kids up!

Last edited by Bokkechick; January 10th, 2013 at 07:15 AM.
January 10th, 2013, 07:59 AM
peimum's Avatar life blows sometimes.
Send a message via MSN to peimum Send a message via Skype™ to peimum
I have the Narnia series, I just wasn't sure if the girls were ready for it.... how old were your kids when you read it to them?

January 10th, 2013, 12:38 PM
Jaidynsmum's Avatar Dreams do come true....
Send a message via MSN to Jaidynsmum
I'm plowing through the Harry Potter books with Jaidyn, the child is obsessed
*Kiliki* likes this.
January 10th, 2013, 12:43 PM
Hunting down the Adventure Series for you Sharon, there's bound to be a UK company that will ship them, hopefully at a reasonable price!
January 10th, 2013, 12:55 PM
Found a few
Free Worldwide shipping, but want $55.99 for 8 books
Adventure Series, Books, Comics, Kids Books, Sellers

This one will ship to US, books are $19.22, shipping is near enough the same at $18.42, but still cheaper than the first one!
Enid Blyton Adventure Series Book Collection

There are a few on UK Amazon, not sure on their shipping charges though
Amazon.co.uk: Buying Choices: Enid Blyton: Adventure Series 8 book collection set: Island of Adventure, Castle of Adventure, Valley of Adventure, Sea of Adventure, Mountain of Adventure, Ship of Adventure, Circus of Adventure and River of Adventure r

There are also a few buy it now on UK ebay that will ship.
Enid Blyton Adventure series 8 Books Set | eBay
*Sharon* likes this.
January 11th, 2013, 09:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bokkechick View Post
Wow...another person who even KNOWS what they are!! I got the Georgina Hargraves illustrated edition as a child, and I LOVED it! It is beautiful...but when I tried to track down the others it was HARD. I bought one or two on Ebay from a lady in Australia!! Enid Blyton is the best for kids! This is the one that I have:

Ours is a different cover and the illustrations in ours aren't very good at all. Belle hates the illustrations, but loves the books. We have 3 of them in the series. The cover illustrations aren't bad, but the illustrations in the book aren't impressive at all. Looking at this I realize we never read The Folk of the Faraway Tree. Oops. Will add it back to our list. We read the Enchanted Wood first. Then the Magic Faraway Tree.

These are the exact ones we have, except ours are hardcover.
Enid Blyton Faraway Tree Boxset: 9780603564864: Amazon.com: Books

Quote:
Originally Posted by peimum View Post
I have the Narnia series, I just wasn't sure if the girls were ready for it.... how old were your kids when you read it to them?

Belle was 6 and Ry was 4. But I had to explain some things to them. So I think a little older is better. The Magician's Nephew was the first one we read and I think that was the easiest to understand...if I remember correctly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaidynsmum View Post
I'm plowing through the Harry Potter books with Jaidyn, the child is obsessed
I think Belle and Ry would love this series. But I think Finn would be scared of it still. Not sure though. Never read them myself yet.

January 11th, 2013, 09:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaidynsmum View Post
Found a few
Free Worldwide shipping, but want $55.99 for 8 books
Adventure Series, Books, Comics, Kids Books, Sellers

This one will ship to US, books are $19.22, shipping is near enough the same at $18.42, but still cheaper than the first one!
Enid Blyton Adventure Series Book Collection

There are a few on UK Amazon, not sure on their shipping charges though
Amazon.co.uk: Buying Choices: Enid Blyton: Adventure Series 8 book collection set: Island of Adventure, Castle of Adventure, Valley of Adventure, Sea of Adventure, Mountain of Adventure, Ship of Adventure, Circus of Adventure and River of Adventure r

There are also a few buy it now on UK ebay that will ship.
Enid Blyton Adventure series 8 Books Set | eBay
Thank you Yvonne! I'm going to look around on Amazon here too and see what I can find. And see if it is cheaper. If not then I might use one of these. Right now I did request 2 on interlibrary loan last night. They should be here next Thursday. But I would still like to own them. I will read them again a couple more times I'm sure.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search