Thrifty Thursday

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By *Kiliki*
  • 1 Post By peimum
  • 1 Post By Julka

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Siggy Makers' Lounge LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 17th, 2013, 05:20 AM
peimum's Avatar life blows sometimes.
Send a message via MSN to peimum Send a message via Skype™ to peimum
Would you consider yourself thrifty? Do you shop at 2nd hand stores? DO you use hand me downs with your kids?
January 17th, 2013, 06:41 AM
Bokkechick's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
To a degree, yes. I rarely pay full price for anything...but there are some things that I refuse to skimp on! I shop sales all the time...but haven't been to a thrift store in years...except a children's consignment store.
January 17th, 2013, 07:10 AM
*Sharon*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think I am pretty thrifty. I don't do 2nd hand stores often, but I buy almost all of our clothes on clearance. I often buy clothes at the end of a season when they are marked down like 75% off for the next year. And my clothes I get when they realllllly marked down. There is a store in our mall that has awesome sales and that is when I get my clothes, but they only have women's clothes.

I don't care about name brands. In fact, for quite a while I was against us wearing anything that had it's brand name as a huge feature. It is really big in the schools here to wear only certain brands. And not only to wear those brands, but to make sure it is noticeable that you are wearing said brands. I hate that message. It is materialistic and an I'm-better-than-you-because-I-can-afford-brand-name-clothes attitude. Having to wear certain brands to make yourself feel good or to make others feel bad. Either way I don't like it. And I actively discourage it in my children. Belle has several shirts now though that my 14 year old sister hands down to her that have the name of the brand across the shirt. And I let Belle wear them, because I'm not going to say no to hand-me-downs from my sister for Belle just because they are a nice brand. lol

But I really just don't like the mentality of so many of the public school students regarding wearing certain brands and NOT wearing other brands.

Okay, that was my rant. Sorry. lol

Sharon, wife to Noah; mom to Belle (12.5), Ryllan (10), Finn (6), and Zane (3).

January 17th, 2013, 07:12 AM
*Kiliki*'s Avatar i have absolute power
yeah im pretty thrifty...i go for the sales or off bran items as much as i can....the kids have hand-me-downs and some stuff from thrift stores....
*Sharon* likes this.
Request Siggy Here SEE GALLERY HERE Request Banner Siggy Here

January 17th, 2013, 07:15 AM
Bokkechick's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Yeah, we actively discourage brand names too It's actually funny...Caitlin has been singled out (and sometimes not in a good way) for "showing off"...there is a jealous group/clique in her class...and all because she's "always dressed fancy"...now meanwhile, most of her clothes are from K-Mart, Burlington, Ross etc (places their moms would never shop at)! And for last year we had to buy SEVERAL identical shirts as presents-they HINTED STRONGLY- (in different colours) for neighborhood girls who LOVED it on Caitlin...and it was from Walmart. I get a good giggle when they go by here with them on!
We used to get hand-me-downs from Brian's niece for Caitlin (she's 2.5 years older), but now Caitlin is the same size Darn it...we were godlen for the 1st 5-6 years!

Last edited by Bokkechick; January 17th, 2013 at 07:18 AM.
January 17th, 2013, 07:34 AM
Yeah, my 14 year old sister is barely taller than Belle now. And Belle's feet are bigger already. So not too many more hand-me-downs to come from her, unless they are just things she doesn't want anymore. This sister was adopted and her older 2 bio sisters we adopted are both 5ft 1in, so I don't think she's going to grow much more if anymore. The hand-me-downs were nice while they lasted. We still may get some for a bit longer, but probably in a year, maybe two, Belle will be taller than her.

January 17th, 2013, 07:39 AM
I am pretty Thrifty. I shop ebay for a lot of the clothes the girls wear, I have not bought myself any clothes since before I got pregnant with Nicola. As for food, we grab store brand stuff, unless name brand is on sale for cheaper than store brand. With 3 girls, hand me downs are a huge deal.... and now that my brother os going to have a daughter (due May 9th) we will be passing the clothes on to them.
*Kiliki* likes this.
January 17th, 2013, 07:49 AM
*Kiliki*'s Avatar i have absolute power
yeah Frankie who is 15 is shorter than Raianna right now and she's 12 LOL so we def do not get anything from her as far as clothes go haha....Raianna is probably about 5'3-5'4 right now.....she is growing like a weed I swear! my mom only has an inch and a half on her I think my mom is about 5'5
Request Siggy Here SEE GALLERY HERE Request Banner Siggy Here

January 17th, 2013, 10:13 AM
Julka
I like brand names, but I don't pay full-price for them. For example, GAP has a lot of sweatshirts with big GAP across the chest and that's not my thing. But I enjoy some of their clothes lines, but I only buy it at 40% off or more.

I'm more concerned about the LOOK of clothes and not the brand, though. But I do think that clothes from GAP, Gymboree, even Old Navy last way longer and wash much better than Wal-Mart clothes. I once bought the girls Hello Kitty dresses from Wal-Mart that shrank after 1 wash and the design peeled. This doesn't happen with brand names! So I would rather pay more for a Hello Kitty dress at H&M but have them wear it several times than just one time..

With that being said, I am often found at Once Upon A Child our local one was just having $1 sale on all marked-down items! I got Natasha 3 pears of pants and jeans - one was GAP, one was Gymboree, and one some other brand name. Look great and $1 each - who can pass that? I also got Sebastian 2 Mexx (expensive brand name) jackets for the spring for $9 each (these jackets would retail for $40-60, I would guess).

I also hang out at Value Village (second hand store), I rarely buy stuff (well, actually I bought 90% of my maternity wardrobe there!), but otherwise I just enjoy looking at stuff. A year and a half ago or so, I got the girls an awesome My Little Pony dollhouse there for $3. So ya never know whatcha gonna find! The smell there bothers me a little, but I still go in and circle and look around.

My kids get lots of compliments on how they're dressed... sometimes it's a brand name and other times I mix & match hand-me-downs and thrift item to make a pretty fashionable look ya never know!
January 17th, 2013, 01:58 PM
I agree Julia....the $1 sales are my favorite!

My grandmother is huge on certain name brands, because of the same reason. She finds they last longer considerably longer. And I do find that is true sometimes. But funny thing is some of our "nicer" brand clothes don't seem to last any better than the "cheaper" brand clothes.

Ry had Faded Glory (I think) jeans from Walmart and Gap jeans. And he got holes in the knees of both in about the same amount of time. lol Ry may just be particularly rough on clothes though.

Before I had kids, actually before I was even married, I bought an expensive pair of jeans. And they got holes in the knees within a couple of months. I couldn't believe it. My other jeans were just like Arizona and such jeans and they actually lasted longer. None of them had holes in the knees.

I bought Finn a Lightning McQueen shirt from Walmart when he was little. And the pic did seem to fade reallllly fast. And then when Zane wore the pic was peeling, so I just ended up peeling the pic off. But I also have Garanimal shirts with cute/cool pics on them that I've had no issue with at all. And that is the cheapest brand at Walmart. Those shirts actually wash well, wear well, and the pics don't fade or peel.

So IME, brand does make a difference. But some expensive brands I don't find wear well, whereas others do. And some inexpensive brands are just plan old CHEAP and aren't worth having, whereas others last great. And I]ve noticed some really run different in size as well. i.e. Old Navy seems to run small.

January 17th, 2013, 03:17 PM
Oh I don't buy Walmart clothing, unless it is for daycare use, and it is off the clearance rack. I call it disposable clothing. Gabriella needed new snow pants this year, every store was sold out of every size but size 14.... I got her a size 14 and added a belt because I did not want to waste money on a pair from Walmart that wont last.
January 17th, 2013, 05:07 PM
Julka
Yeah, Sharon.. when I compare, for example, Old Navy baby/kids clothes with Carters and with TCP... Old Navy run small, Children's Place run wide, and Carter's run perfect! Mmmmm, Carter's.
*Sharon* likes this.
January 18th, 2013, 12:50 AM
claire1979's Avatar mummy to a special angel
Send a message via MSN to claire1979
I buy the cheaper clothes for playing out and sitting in the house it doesn't matter that they get paint or muck on them or stains (from food or drinks) while playing outside. I buy nice dressy clothes when going out or anywhere nice/special occasions. almost all the time i go for the sales thou i love a good bargain.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search