Tuesday Traditions

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By *Kiliki*
  • 1 Post By peimum
  • 1 Post By Julka
  • 1 Post By Jaidynsmum
  • 1 Post By *Sharon*

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Siggy Makers' Lounge LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 12th, 2013, 06:16 AM
Bokkechick's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
With Ash Wednesday, Lent, Good Friday & Easter upon us...I was wondering...D
Q: Does your family celebrate any of these religious holidays, and if so...how?

We always attended church on Ash Wednesday, and then most of the household would either give up something "hard" for Lent, or take on a task. Good Friday was a hot cross buns and pickled fish day (the ONE day a year that we had those), and then Easter was always a big feast.

Thanks SSWC Maker for my BEAUTIFUL siggy!!
February 12th, 2013, 06:39 AM
*Kiliki*'s Avatar i have absolute power
no we do not celebrate the holidays as religious things....as we are not a religious family....we will do Easter....color eggs, egg hunt, they kids will get Easter baskets etc...since we moved we have been spending easter with our next door neighbors...taking turns doing it at one house or the other...this year we'll probably do it at my house since we did it at hers last year...I'll make a breakfast for everyone and we'll hide eggs....and let all the kiddos find them...I dunno if Raianna will be into that this year LOL she was so not really into it last year...she might just have fun helping the little ones find the eggs...seeing as my next door neighbor will be about 8 months pregnant at that point with her dh possibly having surgery on his knee as well...so they are gonna need help with their 2 littles running around haha
Bokkechick likes this.

February 12th, 2013, 06:44 AM
peimum's Avatar Being crazy isn't enough
Send a message via MSN to peimum Send a message via Skype™ to peimum
As a child, I was at church everytime there was something going on..... we went to EVERYTHING! My girls love going to church, and I love taking them, we just don't get to go as much as I did as a child. DH is not religious, and will not go to church, not even for Easter or Christmas. So, church is a girl thing in our house, lol.

This year I am missing Ash Wednesday because I am going out of town for work tonight and wont be home until Thursday. I may see if there is a church near the hotel so I can get my ashes though. We shall see.
Bokkechick likes this.
February 13th, 2013, 05:45 AM
Julka
We celebrate. Today we're fasting (Ash Wednesday); yesterday was Shrove/Pancake Tuesday and we had pancakes for dinner (Natasha also had pancakes at school, my kids are in a Catholic school). I would go to Church today (we get ashes), but it's impossible with the kids' school schedule, although they're having a Mass at the school gym today. We give something up for Lent and do not eat meat on Fridays in Lent (altho. we follow that year-round). We also fast on Good Friday. Easter, we go to Church and usually have a big dinner with DH's side of the family at one of their houses.

Some years I have done Easter baskets but it's a secondary thing here; the true reason we celebrate Easter is what matters. Our Church sometimes hands out Easter chocolate eggs to kids, and my MIL makes baskets for the kids that the priest at her parish blesses - they usually have bread, salt, sugar lamb, hard boiled eggs, holy water, and some chocolate eggs for the kids.

I LOVE special traditions like that!
Bokkechick likes this.
February 14th, 2013, 05:45 AM
Jaidynsmum's Avatar Dreams do come true....
Send a message via MSN to Jaidynsmum
Ditto to Julia, all 4 kids got to Mass at their schools. I battled the wind/snow/rain combo to get to Mass after I dropped Jaidyn off, needless to say my ashes didn't survive the weather combo on they way back to the car! They were running down my nose! Not a good look
Kids will get Easter Eggs, but that's it, although Jaidyn will also get a small Easter gift at church, usually a card and a small egg.
Julka likes this.
February 15th, 2013, 05:01 AM
*Sharon*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We talk about and read from the Bible about Christ's resurrection. On Saturday we do Easter egg hunts and talk about how eggs represent life. i.e. Christ lives. On Easter Sunday we go to church (we go to church every Sunday though) and usually have a special dinner. And talk again about the meaning of Easter.
Bokkechick likes this.

Sharon, wife to Noah; mom to Belle (13.75), Ryllan (11.5), Finn (7.5), and Zane (4).

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search