dumb question.....

Forum: Moms of Gradeschoolers

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Moms of Gradeschoolers LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 27th, 2009, 05:42 PM
shoppermom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I know I have awhile til my kids are old enough----but how much does it cost to enroll a child into school? I have heard rumors that if you pay property taxes that some money goes into schooling and so it is free (which I doubt).

Any info regarding enrollment fees would be appreciated.

Thank you bokkechick for my beautiful siggy

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
July 27th, 2009, 07:40 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Well you are required by law to send your child to school so your child going to school is free no matter where you are. Some schools "require" you to get things such as glue, erasers, pencil boxes, etc each year however if you honestly cannot afford it they cannot deny your child an education so that's why parents who can afford it typically donate a few extra things.

It does not cost anything to enroll your child into school, property taxes or no, an education is legally required in this country so they cannot FORCE you to pay anything for your child to go to school if you honestly cannot afford it. There should never be enrollment fees, however depending on where you live (if you look under school supplies you will see everywhere is different) teachers may or may not send home a list at the beginning of each year stating what they would like the parent to send in, again though if you financially cannot afford this they cannot deny your child an education because of it, so it's really simply a "wish list".

Now if you're talking about private school, fees for that will vary depending upon the school and your area.

And yes property taxes as well as some sales taxes, and many other things help to contribute to the education budget for each school district.

Last edited by SpazTaz; July 27th, 2009 at 07:43 PM.
July 27th, 2009, 08:06 PM
LovinMyGirls's Avatar Proud Working Momma
Ditto to what she said! ^^

"
No one else will ever know the strength of my love for you. After all, you are the only one who knows what my heart sounds like from the inside." AA&NJ
July 27th, 2009, 09:09 PM
shoppermom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommie2One View Post
Well you are required by law to send your child to school so your child going to school is free no matter where you are. Some schools "require" you to get things such as glue, erasers, pencil boxes, etc each year however if you honestly cannot afford it they cannot deny your child an education so that's why parents who can afford it typically donate a few extra things.

It does not cost anything to enroll your child into school, property taxes or no, an education is legally required in this country so they cannot FORCE you to pay anything for your child to go to school if you honestly cannot afford it. There should never be enrollment fees, however depending on where you live (if you look under school supplies you will see everywhere is different) teachers may or may not send home a list at the beginning of each year stating what they would like the parent to send in, again though if you financially cannot afford this they cannot deny your child an education because of it, so it's really simply a "wish list".

Now if you're talking about private school, fees for that will vary depending upon the school and your area.

And yes property taxes as well as some sales taxes, and many other things help to contribute to the education budget for each school district.
Thank you for the info. That is good to know..... I was thinking there would be a registration fee.

Thank you bokkechick for my beautiful siggy

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
July 28th, 2009, 07:06 AM
**Melanie**'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Public school is free including half day kindergarten. However, if you want your child in all day kindergarten you have to pay for that and there might be a registration fee, or some percentage of that tuition up front. Where I live it is about $2,000 for the whole year for all day kindergarten and you can either pay all of it up front or do a monthly payment.

July 28th, 2009, 08:24 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by **Melanie** View Post
Public school is free including half day kindergarten. However, if you want your child in all day kindergarten you have to pay for that and there might be a registration fee, or some percentage of that tuition up front. Where I live it is about $2,000 for the whole year for all day kindergarten and you can either pay all of it up front or do a monthly payment.
This just depends on where you live. Where I am they have 1 class of all day K, it's totally free same as the half day, but there are only so many spots (about 20), they do it on a lottery system where the computer spits out 20 names and those 20 kids get to do all day K, whether you pay or not it isn't offered to anyone else. So this isn't an option everywhere.
July 28th, 2009, 11:25 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Depending on some schools here, full day kindergarten may cost a small amount, however, most are free. Lily is going full day and she doesn't need to pay for anything, minus the cost for her school supplies. Her school does sell "Supply kits" that are leftover, but in still good condition, supplies from last year, so if someone can't pay for a lot of supplies they can get some at a reduced cost. All the pencils and such are new, but the folders and binders and glue may be slightly used.

I do have to pay for before and after school care, but it's not much at all.
July 28th, 2009, 12:08 PM
**Melanie**'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Froggy View Post
I do have to pay for before and after school care, but it's not much at all.
That's interesting, because here the before and after school care is free, but all day kindergarten is not. I guess it really does vary from place to place.

July 28th, 2009, 12:11 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Yeah here you have to pay for before and after school care as it's run by the YMCA not the school (although the kids stay at the school), it's like $300 a month for both or $200 for just one. But all day K is free if your child makes the lottery.
August 2nd, 2009, 06:03 PM
Ma-2-Thing 1-2-n-3's Avatar Leslie ~ 2 boys ~ 1 girl
School here is free. The only thing we pay for is before and after school care and all the supplies that are needed. I heard through a friend that sent her kid to summer school you have to pay for that, but it may be an middle/high school thing.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search