Playing house.....differently

Forum: Moms of Gradeschoolers

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Moms of Gradeschoolers LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 29th, 2009, 06:08 AM
My niece (6) came down for the summer to stay with her dad. She's 1 1/2 months older than my daughter and although they see each other only once a year they get along very well (almost BFF). DD has been sleeping over at my in-laws almost every day and then all of a sudden she refused to sleep over. I took it that she finally started missing me and DH so I didn't think anything about it.

This past Sunday DH was home with the girls while I went to the store. I came back to find DH demanding DD to tell him what my niece whispered to her that caused her to be upset. DD refused to say anything until DH suggested that they go somewhere private so she can tell him. Turns out my niece has been wanting to play house .... differently. She's been wanting DD to be a boy so then they can do "stuff" together.

OMG! I talked to DD telling her that what my niece wants to do is not right and that if my niece ask her to play "house" like that again to tell Auntie G (DH's sister). I told my SIL to keep a close eye on the girls and also told her what my niece has been wanting to do. I also informed her that DD will tell her if my niece wants to play house like that again. I thought she'll be fine.

I was so wrong. DD was crying to me last night in bed that she didn't want to stay at grandma's house. That her cousin keeps on wanting to play "house" and that she told Auntie G but Auntie G didn't do anything. She said she wanted to go back to daycare/summer camp and that she misses her friends there. She was so disturbed with it that she wanted to call my niece (at 11 PM) to tell her she didn't like playing "house" with her. I reassured her that everything will be fine and that she didn't have to stay over at grandma's house anymore. A few minutes after that, she finally fell asleep.

Today she'll be at MY sister's place and where she'll be going for the rest of the summer until school starts. I'm so angry and disturbed by everything that I just want to cry. I really don't know what else to say to my daughter.

Anyways thanks for reading. I just had to get this out of my system.
July 29th, 2009, 01:52 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I don't mean to alarm you, nor do I mean to give the idea that there could be a problem when there isnt...... but if your niece keeps wanting to do "sexual" acts it could be that she is just curious, but needs to be talked to.... or it is a sign she is being sexually abused. In my education classes they have said that actions such as that could be a warning sign that they are being abused and don't know how to process it in their heads so they act out towards others.

I would have someone talk to her and tell her why she doesnt do that and stress the appropriate versus inappropriate touch and appropriate play. It could just be a curious age thing, but maybe not.

If you want to talk more just give me a message, and I hope everything gets cleared up.
July 29th, 2009, 03:52 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Froggy View Post
I don't mean to alarm you, nor do I mean to give the idea that there could be a problem when there isnt...... but if your niece keeps wanting to do "sexual" acts it could be that she is just curious, but needs to be talked to.... or it is a sign she is being sexually abused. In my education classes they have said that actions such as that could be a warning sign that they are being abused and don't know how to process it in their heads so they act out towards others.

I would have someone talk to her and tell her why she doesnt do that and stress the appropriate versus inappropriate touch and appropriate play. It could just be a curious age thing, but maybe not.

If you want to talk more just give me a message, and I hope everything gets cleared up.
I completely agree. It would probably be a good idea for someone to take her to a child therapist so that a third party, non involved party, can talk to her and determine if it's just the age or if it's something more. I hope for her sake it's just that she's curious.

Good luck.
August 2nd, 2009, 06:01 PM
Ma-2-Thing 1-2-n-3's Avatar Leslie ~ 2 boys ~ 1 girl
Has you niece been through anything in her life that would cause this? I am glad you aren't sending her there anymore!!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search