Improve Listening and gettung instructions for 6 year old son

Forum: Moms of Gradeschoolers

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Moms of Gradeschoolers LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 23rd, 2011, 02:40 AM
Hi,

My 6 yr old son will be starting school in 2 weeks and I feel that he doesnt listen well. The words just float above his head and he keeps telling I dont understand..even when I am telling him something really simple..I feel that he doesnt follow instructions well.

Are there any games or activities that can be useful in getting him to really tune up his ears and listen to the matter...this is causing his confidence to take a hit also since he feels he cant do anything without my help..I have to explain everything to him

Thanks,
Zyne
May 24th, 2011, 09:36 AM
mommas2favs's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to mommas2favs
Hi Zyne.
I have a 5 yr old DD who is finishing Kindergarten. Her last say is the 21st of June, and she starts Gr. 1 in the fall.

Is your son going into summer school classes? Is that why he's going to be attending school in the summer?

When my daughter goes with me shopping, I play little games. Mostly based on the I Spy game.
Instead of just focusing on ONE color, I use two, sometimes three, different words to describe objects; I also won't give her letters, I give her the sound of the letter instead. Or use descriptive words like tall, big, fat, round, small, short, bright, glowing, noisy etc. Then she has to find an object that matches that description. Sometimes its hard to keep her focused, but she loves this game.

I've also found that it's hard to keep her attention when she's got a lot of energy. So every other day I let her go for walks with me. I walk at my fast walk pace, which makes her run. And she gets some good exercise. I stop and let her play on the playground for twenty minutes or so, then we walk some more. We go home, rest, read a book, then tackle homework assignments. I've found doing this helps her focus more.

Good luck with your son!

~~my awesome siggies are made by *Kiliki~~
May 24th, 2011, 08:58 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Have you tried simply not doing it for him? Many times kids ACT like they don't listen because it gets mom and dad to do it for them or get a reaction. I'd explain it to him once, maybe twice, then let it go. If he wants to go outside and play bad enough, he'll tie his shoes type of idea.

You can also do games like Simon says. But if at that age he TRULY isn't understanding and able to follow instructions you may want to have him evaluated for a possible learning disability.
May 25th, 2011, 05:33 AM
Hi,

Thanks for sharing that.
I am actually in Pune which is a city near Mumbai, India.Over here

school closes for summer vacation around April to June. His new

school year is starting from 9 June.He will be in grade 1.

I am wondering if my expectations are higher..I dont get to observe a

lot of kids his age..but the thing that worries me is most of the

time he doesnt reply..until I ask why no reply..or it that a yes or

no etc..
Grade 1 is going to be totally diff from his kg..He is a very

sensitive little guy..very loving and helpful...he is a lovely

child...but I get worried when we sit down to do school work..he gets

bored easily and it is a struggle to finish the work.

I wonder if he gets nervous in new situations and feels inadequate to

handle them. I am constantly telling him he is very clever and

wonderful but I am afraid I cannot give him all my time as I have a 7

month old too. I try to play with him all kinds of games and even I

spy and Man alive etc but when its a difficult task he wants to quit.
Sometimes I wish I could just let him be...as free as he wants but

since he doesnt have any frnds on this floor he is bored and

constantly behind me for entertaining him.

I dont think he has a learning disabilty bcos once he pays attention he is able to understand it...its just a matter of not listening.
May 25th, 2011, 10:12 PM
mamma_anna's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Sorry I don't have any good advice for you. But I was just thinking that it could be an auditory processing disorder. Kids with this problem are often misdiagnosed with ADD because it looks like an attention issue but it really has to do with being super sensitive to background noise and not being able to filter it out to focus on what's being said. Maybe it's worth looking into. Good Luck.
May 26th, 2011, 02:52 PM
LovinMyGirls's Avatar Proud Working Momma
Yeah either like Meghan said- he's trying to get out of something so he's not listening/doing so mom/dad will help. Or he can't pay attention because of something such as ADD/ADHD...which I'd continue to monitor.

But realistically at 5-6 their attention spans are very limited. Try maybe focusing on rewarding him at home for focusing on work and doing well in school. Discuss it with his teacher as well so that he knows BOTH of you are working together. Because if he's able to do the work and just not staying focused and getting through the work then the problem is that he's a boy! Good Luck..I'd just work on getting him to focus if it doesn't improve then talk to a doctor about your concerns.

"
No one else will ever know the strength of my love for you. After all, you are the only one who knows what my heart sounds like from the inside." AA&NJ
May 27th, 2011, 10:34 AM
mommas2favs's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to mommas2favs
I never knew the school schedule was like that in India. I learned something new today! =)

I think getting in contact with his teacher(s) for Grade 1 might be an option. Discuss your concerns with them also and make sure you work with them to encourage good growth.
Good Luck! =)

~~my awesome siggies are made by *Kiliki~~
June 3rd, 2011, 06:26 AM
Thanks for all the inputs...he is going to a school run by jesuits who dont like much discussions on how to handle the kids...they are going to treat all the children the same way...meanwhile I am trying to get him to sit down and do maths and cursive writing..increasing the duration little by little...I notice that he is gaining a confidence and due to that the jittery restlessness is going away..but when he gets to a hard part,,,baam he gets all upset..jittery again...
June 11th, 2011, 02:52 PM
My 6 yo doesn't like to listen either...I think its the age. What we do in our home is my dd has to acknowledge what I say the first time I say it, if not she gets a time out. She has to say "yes Ma'am (we are from South Louisiana)" or "yes Mommy." I have only had to give her a couple of time outs before she got it. Now if I call her name she comes into the room where I am and says "Ma'am." In her Kindergarten class it was one thing that she was "graded" on, so that helped a lot too.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search