What do your 6-8 year olds weigh?

Forum: Moms of Gradeschoolers

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Moms of Gradeschoolers LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 23rd, 2011, 03:23 PM
fibigrey's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to fibigrey
I weighed DS this afternoon and the scale says he weighs 49lbs. He is about 48in tall, his BMI is normal, but I am so sick of people telling me he is too skinny.. What do your 6 and 7 year old's weigh in comparison to their height?

I think people think he's so skinny because he has severe ADHD and ever since being on Adderall since November, he has lost a little bit of weight.. He weighed 54lbs when we started the meds.. So he hasn't lost THAT much weight, but has also gotten taller.

EVERYONE comments on his weight. My dad, my mother in law, my best friend.

Just wondering how he compares to other children.. Does this sound normal? I took him to the doctors about 2-3 months ago to talk about it, and she wasn't concerned.. She will be monitoring his weight, but really doesn't seem to think its a problem yet.
May 23rd, 2011, 04:04 PM
D@mnedYankee's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
if the Dr says its ok then its ok. My daughter is 51 inches tall and 60lbs... she is skinny but the CDC said she is fine.

Thanks Julia for the great siggy! <3
May 23rd, 2011, 04:58 PM
Veteran
My 6 y.o. is just over 47 inches and about 50 or 51lbs (havent weighed in awhile). She has sprouted up this year but not put on a lot of weight. She definitely lost her baby fat, but I wouldnt call her thin at all.

My 8 y.o. is almost 46 inches and is 40.5 lbs (she gets height and weight checks at least once a quarter). She has always been extremely thin, and is also on ADHD meds, which caused her to lose even more weight. We have gained a little back, but are not up to her heaviest yet.. she is monitored and takes pediasure, but she is overall very healthy. It does shock people sometimes, because you can see all of her ribs, front and back, without "sucking in". However, when you see her play basketball, soccer, and swimming you realize, she makes the most of it. Nothing like seeing a little girl shoulder check a girl literally twice her weight...or score a basket on a girl a foot taller!

My 10 y.o is 5'2" and 95 lbs, and my 14 y.o. is 5'1" and 102 lbs . So again completely different growth curves.

All 4 of my girls have different body types, but they all eat right, get plenty of exercise, and are overall healthy girls. There is no "normal" size, it really should be how has the child's growth curve been?
May 23rd, 2011, 05:38 PM
AmAnDaMo's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My youngest turned 5 in January, and she's 55 lbs and 49" tall. She's really solid and muscular, while my 9 year old is very lean. At 9, she's 55" tall, but only weighs a few pounds more than her little sister.

May 23rd, 2011, 07:29 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Not sure how tall Brendan is but I think he's close to 46 inches and hes 45 lbs.

Only family members end up saying he was short & small but at the field day mom was like going hmm it doesn't seem that he is that short to the kids in his class as he used to be it seems like hes catching up to them more .

I'm for sure if your doctor says its okay its fine .

May 24th, 2011, 04:31 AM
Momof4Boyz's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to Momof4Boyz
Joe will be 10 in 2 months and he JUST hit the 50lb mark! And he's just a few inches taller than his 5 yr old brother. He's very very obviously smaller than all of the other kids in his class. I keep hoping (for his sake) that he'll have a huge growth spurt, I worry he's going to have trouble being this small when he starts middle-school.

May 24th, 2011, 08:59 PM
Platinum Supermommy
My son is 9 years old, is 52 inches and was 51 pounds. He's in like the 25th percentile for both height and weight for his age. So the doc said yes he's short and thin for his age group, BUT he's porportioned and is healthy so nobody's worried.
May 25th, 2011, 09:42 PM
mamma_anna's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My 8 1/2 yr old is a healthy 63lbs and 54". I think that's somewhere around the 60th % for weight and 85th % for height.

My 5 1/2 yr old isn't even on the charts for weight or bmi. She's just 32lbs and 42.75". (20th% for height)

I've stopped keeping track for my older girls. But I know they're at a healthy weight and pretty tall for their age.

I think you're son is fine. People are just commenting because it happens to be noticeable right now and they don't know better. But *you* know that he's healthy. His doctor isn't concerned so don't worry mamma. They'll stop talking about it eventually.
May 26th, 2011, 04:48 PM
Mega Super Mommy
My 7 year old is about 48" and 63lbs. She's "normal" for her.

June 21st, 2011, 06:53 AM
Regular
my 6yr old some is 54" and 68lbs my 8yo is 55" and 88lbs and my 9 yo is 59" and 125lbs very different body shapes for all of mine. my oldest was my smallest baby but she has been stout and muscular since she was 6 months old. now i can't get her weight down and she has a lot of problems with people at school, but she doesn't look all that overweight. you can tell a little in her belly but she's mostly all legs lol
June 23rd, 2011, 07:29 AM
i:heart:you's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My 7yr old is 51 inches and 52 lbs. She is skinny but I don't think she is too skinny. She is in the 50th percentile for height and weight.

**Thank you Bokkechick for my awesome siggy**
July 20th, 2011, 01:50 PM
::er!ca::'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Brinlee is almost 46 inches tall, and weighs 41 pounds (has been fluctuating between 41 & 42 lbs lately). She is very thin, but always has been.

Oh, she's 6 years old.
August 12th, 2011, 03:46 PM
My dd is 7.5 years..50 lbs. & 51 inches. She has always followed 75% for height, but lower for weight. She is slim, but not too skinny looking.
August 12th, 2011, 08:37 PM
My 6 year old weighs 39 (not sure of her height, and my 8 year old weights 45. He is actually on the tall side and dr said in the 10% but we have skinny genes.
August 21st, 2011, 06:58 PM
*Valerie*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Troy is 46" and 43 lbs and the doc has never been concerned. He looks just long and lanky but no one has ever said anything

August 24th, 2011, 04:40 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Beth is just under 50 pounds as well. I can't remember how tall she is, but at her 6 year check-up she was in the 50th percentile for both height and weight. She is thin, but not too thin.
August 24th, 2011, 12:53 PM
::er!ca::'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Here is a recent pic of Brinlee, stats already mentioned. Thin, but not concerning.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search