New to this part of the forum

Forum: Moms of Gradeschoolers

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Moms of Gradeschoolers LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 22nd, 2011, 05:16 AM
mommas2favs's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to mommas2favs
Hi! Welcome! I'm Liz, SAHM to Emily who is 16 months, and Gabrielle who is 5. She will be entering grade 1 this fall.

I was really nervous for Gabrielle, because she was 4 when she entered Kindergarten. Her birthday falls in that area where as long as she was 5 before December 1st she could go to school that same fall.

I was nervous, scared, excited... like you said THE WHOLE 9! After I spoke with my husband I followed his advice and I talked a lot about going to school with Belle. I tried to answer as many of her questions about school and her teacher as I could. And I also introduced myself to her teacher as soon as I could and started communications with her about anything and all things I could think of. So I encourage you to do the same, her teacher is probably used to dealing with nervous and worried parents, and she/he might have some great advice for you as well.

Good Luck!

~~my awesome siggies are made by *Kiliki~~
July 22nd, 2011, 09:08 AM
LovinMyGirls's Avatar Proud Working Momma
Has your daughter been to her new school?

If not see if you can arrange a walk through (obviously there are no teacher/kids).

Your school should have some sort of orientation for her to familiarize herself and you with the school & other moms w/ kinders.

Check out some books at the library
For you:
Here's a pamphlet you can read online:
English - Getting School Ready! — Foundation for Early Learning

For her:
The Night before Kindergarten
Mrs Bindergarten gets ready for Kindergarten
The Kissing Hand
Look Out kindergarten Here I come

The best thing for children is to talk about the first day..walk her in give her a kiss hug and leave. The more you linger the harder it will be (for you) and for her if she is having trouble transitioning. Parents want to stay and make sure they are okay but the longer you prolong leaving the harder it makes it for the child and for you.

"
No one else will ever know the strength of my love for you. After all, you are the only one who knows what my heart sounds like from the inside." AA&NJ
July 23rd, 2011, 12:29 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I have one who went to kindergarten last year, and another one starting kindergarten this year. I'm sure your little one will do great! Almost all the kids do, and for the ones who are a little reluctant, the kindergarten teachers are experts at making them feel comfortable as soon as possible.

I agree with Amber that the best thing to do is put a smile on your face, kiss her goodbye, and be on your way. If you are confident then she will be too.

This summer I have been working with my son on making sure he is as independent as possible...that he can get handle all of his clothing in the bathroom, that he can open his food packages as lunch, that he can speak for himself if someone asks him a question. Things like that. He also can write his name and knows the usual preschool material (colors, letters, counting...) but in my opinion it's even more important for them to be independent and know how to follow directions.
July 24th, 2011, 08:11 AM
LovinMyGirls's Avatar Proud Working Momma
Definitely agree ^^ Making them independent to help eliminate frustration when they enter kindergarten!!! I taught kinder & my little one is going this fall

"
No one else will ever know the strength of my love for you. After all, you are the only one who knows what my heart sounds like from the inside." AA&NJ
July 24th, 2011, 12:05 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I think the more independent the kid the better. My son has always been extremely independent and he went to a year of preschool (from 3 1/2-4 1/2 years old), then was "off" a year and then started K at 5 1/2 amost 6, and when it was time to start he was so excited. Gave me a hug and marched off with his class like no big deal. But he's always been very independent, never afraid to try new things, a "go getter" type of kid so it didn't surprise me. And we've raised him to be that way so I was very happy for him. I was also a weird parent in that i knew he'd love it and it'd be great for him so I had no saddness or worry associated with him going so he wasn't getting any negative feelings from me. It was a frustrating year because his teacher was terrible, but he didn't know that and he had a great time.

I think just play it up, don't let her know that you're nervous, make sure she's okay with some independence. If she's never been away from you, it may be a good idea to 2-3 days a week have her stay with a friend or babysitter while you go and do some things so she gets used to being away from you and not having you around 24/7 and so she realizes that you're coming back as well. I also agree with not hanging around. Give her a hug, tell her to have a good day and leave. The kids I saw typically having problems were ones who had parents that were sticking around as then they didn't want to let them go (the kids to the parents) and it made it difficult.

Good luck, hope all goes well!
July 24th, 2011, 01:15 PM
CeiCei's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to CeiCei Send a message via MSN to CeiCei Send a message via Yahoo to CeiCei
I agree with the indepence part. I found with my oldest, back in the day, that letting him go to the school, meeting his teacher and all helped. Last year when my son Ernest went to pre-k doing the same also helped. Talked about his fears and what to expect. By the time school started I didn't have to walk him to class or anything.

My Three Princes: Cordell (23 y/o), Ernest (5 y/o), Robert (4 y/o)

July 25th, 2011, 02:52 PM
Momof4Boyz's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to Momof4Boyz
My son was really worried about starting K (even though he has a brother in school) but the school (of course this was in PA, we're in FL now) had a big thing for kids at the end of the last school year. They got to go into the school, meet all the teachers, they played games and did little learning activities and it really gave him a nice taste of school so now he's looking forward to it. I'm pretty excited for him, he's been watching his big brother go to school and have friends and homework and now he gets to join that club!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search