Babysitter rates?

Forum: Moms of Gradeschoolers

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Moms of Gradeschoolers LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 28th, 2011, 02:04 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Just curious, what do you pay a sitter (like a teen) to watch your kids per hour when you go out for an evening? Does that rate change if the child(ren) will be sleeping the whole time you're gone?
August 28th, 2011, 03:58 PM
Momof4Boyz's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to Momof4Boyz
I really don't know what the going rate is! We've never actually hired anyone to babysit. Generally we've had grandparents watch them (my mom usually gives us a night off when she flys to visit, it's lovely lol) or just take them with us. But we had decided to go on a date back in November, we were going to pay DH's niece to watch them (she's 19 and in college and knows the boys personally so we felt comfortable with her), we were going to be gone about 2 hrs and had planned to pay her $20 and order them pizza for dinner. However my dad died that week and I flew to AZ for a funeral instead...

August 28th, 2011, 04:13 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I was quoted $6/hr for my almost 10 year old (I just have one) which I thought was awful high for a 15 year old. He'd be asleep all but an hour while we were gone. I paid half of that when he was in a licensed daycare facility with an adult and awake and 5 years old so he needed help with a lot more stuff. Our old sitter charged $2 an hour, she was 13 and awesome...unfortunately she moved away a few years ago. We haven't done any type of date night, etc in 5 years so thought it might be nice but at $6 an hour I think we'll just wait another 1-2 years until he can stay by himself for free and do movie night at home. Maybe I'm the weird one, I just think that's quite a bit for a teenager to come over and sit here watching TV.
August 28th, 2011, 06:19 PM
D@mnedYankee's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
It depends on where you live what the going rate is. I pay $7 an hour for a women to watch my munchkin when I need her to. She is almost 30, babysits to make extra cash and works during the day as a cruelty investigator for a local non-profit animal protection organization

Thanks Julia for the great siggy! <3
August 28th, 2011, 06:43 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Well I realize it can depend on where one lives, I'm just trying to get a consensus of what people pay a young to middle aged TEEN (13-17 years old) to watch their child for something like "date night" in their home.
August 29th, 2011, 11:18 AM
*Valerie*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We pay well because we rarely do it. We've given anywhere from $8-10/hour but the teens we've used never give a rate, they just say "whatever" (Drives me nuts because I would rather them just say )

August 29th, 2011, 01:01 PM
D@mnedYankee's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommie2One View Post
Well I realize it can depend on where one lives, I'm just trying to get a consensus of what people pay a young to middle aged TEEN (13-17 years old) to watch their child for something like "date night" in their home.
sorry for stating something that was apparently obvious but whatever, and I thought maybe seeing what someone pays for an adult might help give a top range for you but apparently I was wrong with that one there too

personally I dont trust a teenager in my home alone unless I have known them for years and because we move so frequently thats impossible.

Thanks Julia for the great siggy! <3
August 29th, 2011, 01:12 PM
Veteran
I pay $10 an hour plus tip for an older teenager to watch my 2 kids.
August 29th, 2011, 01:22 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by D@mnedYankee View Post
sorry for stating something that was apparently obvious but whatever, and I thought maybe seeing what someone pays for an adult might help give a top range for you but apparently I was wrong with that one there too

personally I dont trust a teenager in my home alone unless I have known them for years and because we move so frequently thats impossible.
Yeah, my son went to daycare for 2 years, I know what the adults in my area charge. But thanks.

I don't have an issue trusting people in my home.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search