Packed Lunch Ideas

Forum: Moms of Gradeschoolers

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Moms of Gradeschoolers LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 30th, 2011, 09:06 AM
Momof4Boyz's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to Momof4Boyz
I was just searching for some ideas of things to pack for my kids lunches that aren't the "everyday" sandwich. Things that are easy or can be done the night/day before because I don't know about anyone else but I don't feel like getting up at 6am and making a meal! Figured I'd share my findings! Feel free to add to the list!!

This website has a gob of ideas (I linked some of my favorites below)

Homemade fruit roll ups
Homemade Fruit & grian bars
Sweet-Potato chips
Kale chips

All-American Bento box
Chicken Wrap
Lunch meat kabobs (love this one, made with straws because the school probably wouldn't appreciate wooden or metal skewers lol)
Apricot pecan penne pasta
Asian Sesame Noodle Salad

August 30th, 2011, 09:52 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I'm going to have to try some of those. I bought my kids those thermos bowl/cup thingies and Isis loves to take leftovers for lunch. If we had tortellini the night before she likes that she can have more tortellini for lunch the next day and it's nice and hot. John Paul takes oatmeal in his because of his feeding issues. Then we do healthy sides like veggie sticks or fresh fruit.

August 30th, 2011, 10:49 PM
Platinum Supermommy
My recommendation is to skip the Kale chips. I tried them they were beyond disgusting!

Unfortunately to get enough fiber into his diet daily he has to eat a 1/2 sandwich for lunch to get his piece of double fiber bread in, so we do variations of sandwiches but I have quite a few:

Cheese
Fresh meat, cheese, lettuce, onion, pickles
PB and raw honey
Egg salad
Tuna salad
Chicken salad
Pulled chicken

So being able to not only rotate these but change up the meats (ham, turkey, roast beef, chicken) he usually does not get board. I then pair it with either a 100% juice fruit cup or a veggie.

Just as a side, I'd nix the fruit and grain bars. With a ton of sugar already in the cake mix (which isn't very healthy to begin with), there's then added sugar plus a ton of butter in there. Should be more of an after dinner treat once in awhile versus a lunch or snack item IMO...but JMHO.

Last edited by SpazTaz; August 30th, 2011 at 10:57 PM.
August 31st, 2011, 07:03 PM
Regular
This summer, my oldest (8 1/2) decided to make his own Lunchables. They're expensive and full of presevatives, so we told him we'd buy the stuff, and he could make his own. With Ritz Crackers (the low sodium ones) and some fresh turkey breast from the deli counter, he used a cookie cutter and make his own. Not only did it work well, it was cheaper, healthier, and gave him a huge sense of accomplishment. It is pretty easy - I just tell them to cut the meat very thick at the deli counter (mine uses numbers, and it's a #3 I use, after some trial and expertimentation). I can even buy blocks of cheese for him and he can use a cheese slicer to handle that part himself.

I now have him making both his lunch and his little brother's most days. Although we're moving to doing them after dinner the night before, to avoid rushing in the morning.
September 6th, 2011, 06:19 PM
Mega Super Mommy
So far, my daughter has asked for grilled cheese sandwiches every day. But she also loves tofu, which is so easy! I just cut up a bunch of cubes and she devours them. She's a pretty picky eater, so it will be a challenge to keep things interesting for her. Thanks for the suggestions and the website. I will be checking that out!
September 8th, 2011, 08:56 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to nvr.4.gtn
things we have done so far

homemade lunchables (same as Suebee) I just asked for a chunk of lunch meat and then I bought cheese that was already sliced for things like that. and we used ritz as well

bagel and cream cheese

mac and cheese I make in the morning and put in a small thermos

sandwhiches of course

tuna and cracker lunch kit

for sides we have done, broccoli, cheery tomatoes, fruits, carrot and celery stick with a single serve of cream cheese, cinnamon bagel chips

and for desert we do oreos, or chips or something not so healthy like that

Made by Trish!!!! <3<3<3

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search