Lunch from home or buying at school?

Forum: Moms of Gradeschoolers

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Moms of Gradeschoolers LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 5th, 2011, 04:42 PM
Twinkle's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
What does your gradeschooler tend to do? For those that pack their child's lunch, what sorts of things do you pack? For those that buy, how is the menu at school? Is it expensive?

Check out Justmommies Blogs!

Are you interested in hosting a chat? Or maybe setting up a chat time for your board? Send me a PM for openings and more information!!
October 6th, 2011, 04:28 AM
Jaidynsmum's Avatar Dreams do come true....
Send a message via MSN to Jaidynsmum
Packed lunch as I know she'll eat it. She can be a fussy eater at times so I'm wary of letting her have school lunches. She has a sandwich/pitta/wrap with ham/chicken/cheese/peanut butter/nutella, a packet of crisps (chips)/crackers/rice cakes, banana/grapes/apple and homemade baking. She has fruit juice to drink.

The school meals are great though and I'm hoping once she is out her fussy stage she'll start them. They cost £1.20 a day which is around $1.85 (at the moment ) and are healthy (Scottish Government insists all school meals have at least 2 portions of fruit & veg in them and they must have certain levels of nutrition)
October 6th, 2011, 05:17 AM
gctattoo's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Alisha gets school lunch that costs $2.15 per day. Breakfast is included as well. The only thing I don't like about the lunch is the repetition. With an exception now and then, they have the same meals on the same days every other week. I don't know if the meals will change month to month; it hasn't been long enough to tell. We had a huge variety when I was in school. They really need to change it up a little.
October 6th, 2011, 05:18 AM
D@mnedYankee's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
we do both
there are days, like today, I am just not feeling the whole making a lunch thing so she bought today. I wish I would pack more since the lunch portions are a little on the skimpy side (they're to USDA regulations for kids but munchkin has a big appetite) and they're expensive $2.75 then if its an ice cream day that costs an extra $.75
When I pack she gets either a meat and cheese sandwich or PB&J, some crackers, a juice box, a fruit snack, and something for dessert (lately its been a chocolate brownie). I dont feel like its the healthiest lunch at times and I hate that but I have been working in the cafeteria and well Bologna and Cheese is better then what some of these kids get packed from home. One kid literally was packed a frozen dinner for lunch... the kids dont have access to a microwave! I wanted to beat his father

Thanks Julia for the great siggy! <3
October 6th, 2011, 05:34 AM
Momof4Boyz's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to Momof4Boyz
We do a mix of school lunch and packed, the kids LOVE the school pizza so they always eat hot lunch those days. School lunch is $2.10. If we pack a lunch my oldest takes 3 sandwiches (he takes PBJ's, it's all he'll take), then I do a fruit, some kind of other snack - granola or some type of trail mix or veggies w/ dipping sauce, a treat (fruit snacks) and a drink.

Joe learned last week that he can buy things al la carte so when he eats hot lunch he usually adds on extras because it's not quite enough food for him. And then some days with packed lunch he'll decide to get a milk or if he likes the side dish from school lunch he'll get that. I thought it was strange that when I checked his online acct there were charges - .40 here .30 there lol. I was like what in the world and then he told me "oh I bought a milk!" LOL!

October 6th, 2011, 05:38 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Our school doesn't have a hot lunch program so everyone brings from home. The school has a no added sugar no processed food requirement, so the lunch you bring must be healthy.
They are planning on going with this catering service that works with another Montessori school in the area. It serves all fresh, organic foods, so I am super excited to learn more about it
October 6th, 2011, 06:24 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to nvr.4.gtn
from home only.

We pack a few different things.
her faves so far

mac and cheese that I make that morning and stick in hot. It's still warm when she eats that way.
bagel with cream cheese ( I bought those single serve cream cheeses for her)

sides:
yogurt with granola
broccoli (she loves it!)
cherry tomatoes

deserts:
sweedish fish
a peice of chocolate
an oreo

Made by Trish!!!! <3<3<3

October 6th, 2011, 09:50 AM
MommaTrish's Avatar bless your heart
Send a message via Yahoo to MommaTrish
We buy. Every so often (maybe once a month) the boys' will want to take their lunch, but they prefer buying it, and since they get free lunch/breakfast we just let them eat what the school has. When they take their lunches it's usually:
some sort of meat sandwich
bag of mini rice cakes
fruit or veggies
2 cookies

The school lunches are really good though so I don't blame them for wanting those. They have like 20 meal plans they rotate so it's not like their is tons of repeating plus the meal plans have TWO different meals each day to pick from so it's actually like 40 meals.

Oh and the lunches cost like $1.75 I believe. It was $1.50, but the price went up this year.
mom of: Zach (10), Ryan (8), Bella (5), Mason (2), and pollywog #5 due 12/04/14
October 6th, 2011, 11:05 AM
Twinkle's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
Our school has an awful lunch program. Today's lunch was call the "mc rib special"... seriously, yuck! Lily brings a lunch from home, its always a type of sandwich, cheese or yogurt, and a fruit or a veggie. She brings water from home, but 2 days a week I let her have a juice box. Every other friday, she buys pizza though. Lunch for us is $2.

Check out Justmommies Blogs!

Are you interested in hosting a chat? Or maybe setting up a chat time for your board? Send me a PM for openings and more information!!
October 6th, 2011, 06:10 PM
*Valerie*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Troy refuses to buy so I pack. It's either a PB sandwich or a deli meat and cheese, veggie (cukes, tomatoes, carrots), fruit (grapes, cantaloupe, oranges, applesauce, berries....) and a snack like yogurt, chips, pretzels, teddy grahams. Some days I throw in a treat

October 6th, 2011, 06:15 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I let my son buy once in a blue moon (2-3 times per school year). Personally I feel school lunches are right up there with fast food, so it's a treat for him to buy lunch.

The quality of school lunches is a HUGE pet peeve of mine. Flavored milks, considering french fries a veggie, pairing starch upon starch together on a daily basis. I truly feel sorry for the children that eat that stuff daily, it's horribly unhealthy IMO.

When he takes his stuff I typically do a sandwich, PB&J, PB& honey, egg salad, tuna, roast beef, ham, turkey, chicken, along with lettuce, cheese, onion, and pickles on it. As a "side" he has a 100% juice fruit cup, yogurt, veggies, string cheese, something along those lines. And a 100% juice box. I don't do anything junk food wise, such as chips, cookies, etc...those are saved as an after dinner treat if he has behaved that day.

School lunch is $2 for a regular price.
October 7th, 2011, 08:56 AM
Veteran
Send a message via Yahoo to leelee7232
Darrion luvs to buy, but it is waaaay too expensive now! $3.30 I let him buy every once in awhile. We save so much buying everything at Winco for his lunch
October 11th, 2011, 06:03 PM
One of my sons wants to buy lunch almost every day, but ours is only $2, but probably not very great for him. Our other son is gluten intolerant, so we pack for him everyday. His favorite is hummus with carrots.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search