What do you do if your kid doesn't enjoy an activity?

Forum: Moms of Gradeschoolers

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Moms of Gradeschoolers LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 6th, 2011, 11:47 AM
MommaTrish's Avatar bless your heart
Send a message via Yahoo to MommaTrish
Say your kid begged and pleaded to join some sport team or group or whatever, and then after only a few gos decides they don't want to do it anymore? Do you let them just drop the activity, or make them try it a little longer, or make them stay in for the whole of the time?
mom of: Zach (10), Ryan (8), Bella (5), Mason (2), and pollywog #5 due 12/04/14
October 6th, 2011, 12:30 PM
Twinkle's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
It would depend on the activity and the reason he/she didn't want to do it anymore. I'm all for kids trying a variety of activities, and sure there will be some he/she doesn't like... but when it comes to team sports, where others are counting on your attendance and participation, I might push a little harder... I want my kids to learn the value of good sportsmanship and working as a team. If it was an individual activity like karate or swimming, I probably wouldn't push so much if they honestly didn't like it. We all have certain preferences and tastes and hobbies.

Check out Justmommies Blogs!

Are you interested in hosting a chat? Or maybe setting up a chat time for your board? Send me a PM for openings and more information!!
October 6th, 2011, 02:48 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to nvr.4.gtn
agree it depends on teh situation. But if I paid for something because she WANTED to do it, she will do it till the time is up.
She wanted to join Karate so we took the trial class. She did the class but then didn't want to go back. I let her not go back. But say she said she wanted to do it, I paid for the uniform and the month of class, she goes once and decides she doesn't like it anymore, tough, she will finish out the paid for month

Made by Trish!!!! <3<3<3

October 6th, 2011, 05:27 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I'm actually in that situation right now. Leah has been begging us to join ballet since she was 2. She started at the beginning of September and the second week she had a meltdown because she didn't want to go. Every week since then, she has made a big fuss about it too, but without the meltdown. I told her that she had to try it at least until Christmas and then we would decide whether or not to continue in the new year. She is mainly disappointed that she doesn't get to dance like the older kids who have been doing ballet for a few years already, but her lesson is also right at the end of a full day of school so she's exhausted. We'll see.

All that to say that I would make them try it for a while to give it a fair chance and then if they were still not happy, it would be fine if they want to stop.
October 6th, 2011, 06:04 PM
*Valerie*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Yeah, I am like Kaytee. If it's paid and can't be refunded I would highly encourage him to continue. However I will say, if it's causing more stress to go and there are many meltdowns, I would probably just say forget it. If he's just whining but participates when there, I would finish it out if it's a paid activity

October 6th, 2011, 06:26 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvr.4.gtn View Post
agree it depends on teh situation. But if I paid for something because she WANTED to do it, she will do it till the time is up.
She wanted to join Karate so we took the trial class. She did the class but then didn't want to go back. I let her not go back. But say she said she wanted to do it, I paid for the uniform and the month of class, she goes once and decides she doesn't like it anymore, tough, she will finish out the paid for month

Ditto this. The only exception we have is Cub Scouts. Our son loves the fun portions of it, but doesn't like the work portion. We have told him too bad, as life is about working in order to have fun so he needs to stick with it. When it comes to baseball, I always ask before I put him in and make sure he understands that once I pay the fee he must stick with it for the entire season. If I were to pay and he wanted to back out, too bad so sad.
October 6th, 2011, 08:12 PM
D@mnedYankee's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I agree it depends on the situation and how far into you have gotten. If its an 8 week thing and your at week 2 well I would probably push to try another couple weeks just to see if maybe they start to like it. If your past week 5 in 8 weeks I say just finish it off.
I try to never sign munchkin up for something new without doing a trial class or having her sit in on a lesson of the same level she would be in so hopefully we can avoid these issues

Thanks Julia for the great siggy! <3

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search