Teacher Gifts (xposted)

Forum: Moms of Gradeschoolers

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Moms of Gradeschoolers LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 11th, 2011, 02:04 PM
C&K'sMama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Do you buy gifts for your kid's school teachers? I have a preschool daughter and last year I got all her teachers and therapists (she's special needs) gifts. I found blown glass candy jars at Hobby lobby for just under $5 each and then I got them each a $5 gift card to starbucks. I think that $10/per person budget is reasonable since she has 11 people she works with on a weekly basis. I don't know how I"ll fin d a deal of something as nice as those candy jars and don't want to get them some thing that looks cheap. Any suggestions? (with her special needs, Carrie making something really isn't an option)

"Disability is not a brave struggle or ‘courage in the face of adversity.’ Disability is an art. It’s an ingenious way to live."
November 11th, 2011, 03:23 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I only do something if I think the teachers are worth doing something for. That may sound harsh but last year my son's teacher was AWFUL and I had no desire to do anything for her.

IF we do something, I just do homemade cookies and put them on a paper plate with colored plastic wrap. I do not purchase things. IMO the holidays have become WAY too commercial and I'm not into that. So, I bake up some chocolate chip cookies and go that route. It's thoughtful, yummy, but extremely inexpensive. I get 3 dozen cookies out of one batch and one batch probably only costs me 50 cents to $1 to make at the most.
November 12th, 2011, 01:54 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Yes, we do gifts at Christmas and the end of year. Last year we did cards and gift cards for Christmas, and then Bath and Body gift baskets at the end of the year. Except for the bus driver...he's a guy, so we skipped the lotions and got him another gift card.
November 13th, 2011, 10:00 PM
mamma_anna's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Between all 4 girls teachers and all of Ellie's therapists we have 24 people on the list this year! There's no way we could afford to buy something for all of them so we'll be baking this year for sure. Maybe homemade cards too if I'm feeling ambitious. Meg and Abbey will be responsible for their own but I'm sure they'll ask for my help.

I think if you can do $10 per gift then things like coffee, candles or soaps and lotions are always appreciated. I know those are pretty standard options but since they're gifts that can be used up I don't think teachers mind getting multiples of them.

November 14th, 2011, 08:36 AM
D@mnedYankee's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
When I used to do a direct sales business I would buy their Christmas gifts from myself... it helped my bottom line out and I got something great at a discount. But this year I am no longer with that company and wont be doing something because like Meghan said I only like doing this if I feel the teacher is worth it, and Amber's teacher this year is def not. I may have Amber make something for her but I wont be spending more then a couple dollars on supplies for it

Thanks Julia for the great siggy! <3
November 14th, 2011, 02:32 PM
Gaby&Emmy'sMama's Avatar aka NZ-Emma
No... but over here it's not really something that IS done... I'll do a Christmas card for her teacher, but that's about it.....

November 18th, 2011, 11:28 PM
How about candles? Those are always cheap, and Timothy always gives them to his teachers every holiday.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search