Tomorrow is the day!

Forum: Moms of Gradeschoolers

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Moms of Gradeschoolers LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 2nd, 2012, 04:04 AM
Momof4Boyz's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to Momof4Boyz
Report cards come home tomorrow! Joe already knows if the grades are bad the Wii and DS are going away. I think he spends too much time obsessing over them anyway so if his grades aren't where they should be he can put them aside and focus on those grades for a while! He's going to have a complete and total meltdown but oh well!

Facebook
February 2nd, 2012, 09:09 AM
Trish36's Avatar Mom of 4
My kids got theirs yesterday. Parent/Teacher interviews are tonight. Fun Fun!
Actually I was really surprised at my DS's grades. Celina is a no brainer, she has good grades most of the subjects (except for science and geography but that was above average anyway). But Tyler actually had Bs in Math and Science and Music and Phys-Ed and reading. Wriging was a C- and he is really struggling with that, more cause he wants to cut corners and is a bit lazy but also because of his ADHD. So we will hopefully get him some help soon in that aspect.
He's also obsessed with his Wii and 3DS. At least it's a good motivating tool for when he gets in trouble.

Project 365 - 2012: http://trisha2012.wordpress.com/

Thank you Jaidynsmum for my gorgeous siggy!

February 4th, 2012, 11:46 AM
Super Mommy
Children in primairy school hardly get grades the first 5 years or so in the school They just get a 'sufficient' or 'good' or 'excelling' or 'insufficient'. but personally I wouldn't take anything away from my girls if they get bad grades.
My girls always do their best to pay attention and are very eager to learn (no homework in Holland until they're about 9 or 10 , so no experience with that yet), so if they would do badly then it would mean the level is too difficult for them and I wouldn't punish them for somethin they couldn't help. But that's different for each child I suppose!

Johanna Helena Sophia - Anna (25th of June, 2004)
Josephine Zara Emilie - Josephine (18th of December, 2007)

And pregnant!!:

February 5th, 2012, 02:16 PM
pauriemmo's Avatar Veteran
We don't even let our son play video games during the week. They have to be earned by behaving in school. He easily gets off-track and will do his own thing, so we have to keep him motivated. We focus more on his behavior than his grades because somehow, he just loves to learn, so it's the one thing we don't have to worry about.
February 6th, 2012, 10:28 AM
Well it wasn't good, 2 c's, an A and a B and then there was no grade for SS so I have no idea what is up with that! His teacher requested a conference with us, I'm glad for that. DS and video games are weekends only now and limited even then. He's become just soo obsessed with it that I think it's flat out taking over his entire life. All he thinks about from sun up to sun down is games and walk thru's and doing this with it and that and beating this and getting this new game. He needs a break from it all. I told my husband it's funny we always said we wouldn't do like our parents did - yet here we are lol. He's mad but that's just how it is, school work comes first and if video games are causing those grades to slip then something has to happen. His teacher offers after school tutoring so I am hoping she will offer that to us during the conference. Other than that, I guess I can't trust him to study on his own and we'll have to do it together everyday.

If he would dedicate even HALF the engery he will put into a video game towards his school work he'd easily be a straight A student. He has the ability... just not the desire.

Jay had a fantastic report card, quite happy with that!

Facebook
February 6th, 2012, 10:38 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I hope taking a break from video games helps him improve. I feel like my kids have so little tiny after school...they are busy with homework, playing outside, sports practice, and then dinner and bed. We don't have any special rules about tv or games, but they just don't seem to have time for them during the week.
February 6th, 2012, 10:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by clouise View Post
I hope taking a break from video games helps him improve. I feel like my kids have so little tiny after school...they are busy with homework, playing outside, sports practice, and then dinner and bed. We don't have any special rules about tv or games, but they just don't seem to have time for them during the week.

I wish Joe would get into sports, he did basketball 1 season and hated it. Did baseball another season and hated it, he's scared to death of football (because he is so so so much smaller than kids his age). My little guys could live outside, they come home and that's all they do is run wild but Joe has no interest! Over the weekend I had to practically force him to go outside and play. He'd rather sit in his room and well, now that there were no video games to play, draw pictures or build with lego blocks. The only he really enjoys doing is swimming and the pool is too chilly for his liking. It's so strange how different kids can be, Jayden loves to play outside and he will happily go down to the basketball count and throw the ball around for hours and never get bored!

Facebook

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search