Learning to read....

Forum: Moms of Gradeschoolers

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Moms of Gradeschoolers LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 7th, 2012, 05:32 PM
Gaby&Emmy'sMama's Avatar aka NZ-Emma
Gaby has had 1/4 of a year at school and obviously is at the point that she's learning to read. I just wanted to know how I can help her to do this? Each night she gets a book to read with me - and I've been reading it to her first, then she'll read it to me.. Is that what I should be doing? Or should I be getting her to read it first? She doesn't know a lot of words yet, and gets very frustrated when she gets a word wrong..

She has started sounding words out - so I am thinking she's moved up a level in her reading development... but is there a 'right' way for me to help her with this? I know I should just ask her teacher - and I will do that, but I always like to hear from other Mum's who have BTDT, or are at the same stage with their own child....

Yesterday I read the story to her, then she read it back to me (with me helping). Afterward I selected easy words for her to sound out (can, up, my).. It seemed to work....

February 7th, 2012, 08:22 PM
MellieB's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
This is from the cover of Jas's reader...

"A good reader knows how to look at the picture, look at the starting letter, reread and make their best guess, stretch the word and read on".

Jas has been able to read for a while. Sounding out each word really helped her. Re-reading books also helped a lot. She was then able to recognise simple words. That in turn helped with group of letters sounds. Such as "sh" ect.

I would perhaps read the book together. Get her to have a try first, break the word up into single letter sounds. Once she gets going and it starts to make more sense it will get easier.

Jas came across the word Shuttle for the first time today. I had her sound it out. She started with just the "s" sound. Her first guess of the word was suttle. I then suggested that she try sounding it out with the S and H together to make the SH sound. She got the word on the second try.

Thanks to Claire1979 for the amazing siggy.

Tweet Tweet Facebook Bloggin'

Our Angel Baby on Facebook

February 8th, 2012, 02:10 AM
Jaidynsmum's Avatar Dreams do come true....
Send a message via MSN to Jaidynsmum
I'd talk to her teacher as different schools have different ways of teaching.
Here there are various reading schemes that schools use and what is used in one school isn't necessarily the same one used in another school in the same town.
Jaidyn has learnt all the sounds that letters make and their names (S says ssssss type of thing). She is learning to blend letters and has a list of 3 letter words ending in 'ip', 'it', 'in', 'et' etc. She has lists of key words taken from her weekly reading books that she has to learn every night and is now convinced she can read Harry Potter, so we have to read that together!
February 8th, 2012, 05:01 AM
Super Mommy
Sounds like your doing it fine!! Anna was a quick reader, could read a whole book at 4, but Josephine shows little interest in it so far LOL. So each child is different. But I can't really advice you as the Dutch language is so different from the English and they use different methods to teach reading and writing here

Johanna Helena Sophia - Anna (25th of June, 2004)
Josephine Zara Emilie - Josephine (18th of December, 2007)

And pregnant!!:

February 8th, 2012, 05:30 AM
Platinum Supermommy
My girls have been reading for a few years now. I first taught them the letters and then the sounds that each letter made. Then I started them on Bob books because of the controlled vocabulary, it made it easy for them to sound out the words. We also worked on memorizing sight words (the, and, with...) that you see a lot in print and that are not necessarily decodable.
Here is a link for the Bob books BOB BOOKS - "I read the WHOLE book!"
I would ask her teacher too and see what guidance she can give you.

ETA: There is a Bob Books App that I had on my iPad when the kids were younger that they liked.
February 8th, 2012, 07:12 AM
Momof4Boyz's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to Momof4Boyz
We're at that point too, Jay knows his letters and their sounds and can put them together and sound out a word. His library book is grade-specific and he can usually read a good portion of it himself. So I help with the bigger words and he says the ones he knows. Then we also have these books called decodables from when my oldest was in school that I let him read - they have sight words and then a picture to represent a word they don't know such as baseball but words like ball and bat are for them to read. Your teacher could advise you on how to help her to what she is doing in school. Our teacher sends home a weekly newsletter with ideas of things we can do with them to help them with reading.

Facebook
February 8th, 2012, 02:38 PM
LovinMyGirls's Avatar Proud Working Momma
Starfall's Learn to Read with phonics excellent site for letter sounds/words

Letters - have names.. and sounds

We can put letter sounds together to make words. When we read things must make sense, sound right and look right.

"
No one else will ever know the strength of my love for you. After all, you are the only one who knows what my heart sounds like from the inside." AA&NJ
February 8th, 2012, 05:22 PM
Trish36's Avatar Mom of 4
I think you are doing a great job.
Remember that at first they start to memorize the stories and will basically tell you from memory what you've read the night before, so yes, you do want to read it to her first and then have her read it to you. If she can already recognize words and sound them out then she is doing awesome ....way ahead of where some other kids would be at that age.
When Tyler started grade 1 his teacher called me at the beginning of the year to tell me that his reading level for grade one was at a 7 and most of the other kids are lucky to be at a 3 or 4. I was so proud of him.
I would just stock up on many different books and let her enjoy them.

Project 365 - 2012: http://trisha2012.wordpress.com/

Thank you Jaidynsmum for my gorgeous siggy!

February 9th, 2012, 05:13 AM
pauriemmo's Avatar Veteran
My son learned to read at 4 and it was mostly on his own. The best thing I ever bought for him was a Tag Reader. He would read the books over and over again and memorized them. This helped him to be able to read other books because he recognized a lot of the words. I definitely recommend buying it.

Now when we read together, he only needs help with really big words. It was one of the best investments I have ever made as a parent. I will be using it with my next child as well.
February 13th, 2012, 07:16 PM
Gaby&Emmy'sMama's Avatar aka NZ-Emma
thanks for all your thoughts etc. I spoke to her teacher & she said Gaby is doing well - I guess it's just hard for me to imagine NOT being able to read, and having to actually learn, but obviously we all did that

I'll check out those websites too!

February 13th, 2012, 07:55 PM
Platinum Supermommy
When my two were learning I had them spend a few minutes on flashcards of sight words every night, and then we would read a book together, pretty much the same way you're doing. I really think that the most important thing is just that you read to and with your children often.
February 19th, 2012, 04:34 PM
yemanya's Avatar Regular
Can I throw some different ideas out there?

(Sorry, these probably will be seeped in a bias, I am a Children's Librarian)

As previously stated, firstly, easy reader books are very simple, and usually by the time kids are at the stage to read them, they are well above the language used, making them very easy to memorise, so I wouldnt read them to her first, just help her along as she goes, all kids get frustrated when they cant get a word out and thats the point to step in.

Alternate styles that youre reading, this will help with reading comprehension. I did used to work as a teachers aid with grade 1 kids and in my experience most schools tend to stick with the one "brand" of easy reader (bulk discounts) and theyre usually worded quite similarly, so to really broaden children's compehension of what theyre reading they need variety, different authors, different styles. *Insert plug for joining your local library here* so varying from picture books to phonic style readers to story based readers has its benefits.

And of course, most important is to make reading enjoyable, finding books your daughter loves and is interested in (you would think this is a given, but strangely no) not forcing it if she's having an off day and keeping it a happy experience. And, something I say to a lot of parents, kids learn by example, if they see their parents enjoying reading, it will encourage them to hack at it more than if they dont see it as something that their parents value.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search