What is the point of a school nurse

Forum: Moms of Gradeschoolers

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Moms of Gradeschoolers LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 22nd, 2012, 11:36 AM
Momof4Boyz's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to Momof4Boyz
If you don't send the kids to her when they get hurt?

Jay fell down (he claims he was tripped, I don't know...) and he got big scrape down the side of his knee. He took his bandaid off when he got home and I asked him if he went to the nurse and he said, "nope the PE teacher just put a bandaid on it" and literally, that's all she did. I pulled the bandaid off and it was all black from the pavement and mixed with blood and just ewy gross! So I cleaned it up real well and have a fresh bandaid on it.

Kind of annoyed that she didn't even take the time to clean it, you can't tell me the PE dept doesn't have a first aid kit and if they don't then the nurse certainly does! It's not like it was a paper cut, it's a pretty big scrape!

Facebook
February 23rd, 2012, 07:04 AM
badgirl11381's Avatar Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to badgirl11381
Oh no, thats horrible yea they should have at least cleaned it out so he doesn't get an infection. Hope lil man is okay

Thank you Babydoll213 for my beautiful siggy
February 23rd, 2012, 11:40 AM
mamma_anna's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
That's really awful! I would expect all the teachers in the school to have basic first aid training and at least know that a wound like that needs to be cleaned.

I don't know what it's like for you. But the impression I get from friends and relatives is that public school nurses around here are pretty useless. Most of the time one nurse is shared between 2 or 3 schools so she's not even there half the time. And when she is, her job is mostly administrative. School nurses make sure kids immunization records are up to date, organize hearing and vision screenings, and keep track of prescription medications. But when it comes to actually taking care of a sick or injured kid, they can't do much more than give a band-aid. They can't even give tylenol. Most of them aren't even actually RN's.

Last year my niece was shoved off the top of a slide and landed on her head. The nurse wasn't there so the secretary gave her an ice pack and put a generic note in her backpack explaining how to monitor a child for 24 hours after a head injury. She didn't even tell the teacher. So when my niece threw up a while later, they thought it was just an upset stomach and they still didn't send her home! Turns out she had a concussion and spent that night in the ER!

My girls school didn't have a nurse at all until 3 years ago. I'm soooo glad she's there now and from what I can tell, she does a great job taking care of the kids.

Okay my rant is over.... Back to Jay. I hope his knee heals quickly. I'd maybe talk to the school and remind them that at the very least, the PE teacher needs to be trained in first aid.

February 25th, 2012, 03:09 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Horrible and all wounds need to get cleaned out then get a bandaid over them.

February 26th, 2012, 05:09 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I would definitely call and let them know that if your child is hurt you expect a trip to the nurse or care from a teacher. I agree that a teacher should know how to treat a scraped knee, but if she didn't have the time she should have sent him to the nurse.

We're lucky in that our school has a full-time nurse and she is very good. She called me once at dinnertime to tell me that she had happened to see my son that day (he was walking down another student) and he had a bug bite that she thought I should keep an eye on. I appreciate the fact that she remembered to call over such a little thing, and I couldn't believe she was still there working so late into the evening. My kids have also seen her for things so small as chapped lips and she takes good care of them. She also has to take care of kids who have accidents at school and things like that. Without teacher's aides (and there are none here) it's hard for a teacher to leave the class and help one kiddo.
February 26th, 2012, 12:03 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Yeah our school "nurse" isn't a real nurse, she's an MA or CNA or something along those lines, but she is NOT a registered nurse and is pretty ding-dong-ish. Although, the times my son has had any issues he was sent to her, the teachers don't deal with that on their own. I do miss the days of the school (and doctor's offices quite honestly) employing REAL nurses (ie registered nurses) as opposed to CNA's and MA's simply because they're cheaper to employ.

I'd definitely call the school and complain about that because as someone else mentioned that is an infection hazard with it being dirty like that.

Hope it's healing up and he's doing better!
February 26th, 2012, 03:34 PM
::er!ca::'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Our school nurse is shared with two other schools, she's only at our school three times a week, and only a few hours in the morning on those days. All other times, there is a health assistant. I'm not sure what her credentials are, I never asked.

That being said, your son's scrape certainly should have been washed. I hope he's healing quickly and not in too much pain. Scrapes hurt so bad

Also, there is a lot of misconception about medical assistants. I am a certified medical assistant. I have a college degree, had to go through training, clinicals, externships, and had to take a national board certification exam to get my credentials after graduation (even though I don't use them since I'm a SAHM). I am qualified to do everything that a nurse is qualified to do. Our difference is that a medical assistant is trained to work in a doctor's office and a nurse is trained to work in a hospital. Medical assistants also are trained to draw blood, which many nursing programs do not offer (though employers can train the nurse to do so, if they wish). So, just because someone is a medical assistant and not a nurse, does not mean that they are not qualified to do the job. It's a slap in the face for us to be treated like we're sub-par just because we're not "nurses."
February 26th, 2012, 03:45 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by ::er!ca:: View Post
Our school nurse is shared with two other schools, she's only at our school three times a week, and only a few hours in the morning on those days. All other times, there is a health assistant. I'm not sure what her credentials are, I never asked.

That being said, your son's scrape certainly should have been washed. I hope he's healing quickly and not in too much pain. Scrapes hurt so bad

Also, there is a lot of misconception about medical assistants. I am a certified medical assistant. I have a college degree, had to go through training, clinicals, externships, and had to take a national board certification exam to get my credentials after graduation (even though I don't use them since I'm a SAHM). I am qualified to do everything that a nurse is qualified to do. Our difference is that a medical assistant is trained to work in a doctor's office and a nurse is trained to work in a hospital. Medical assistants also are trained to draw blood, which many nursing programs do not offer (though employers can train the nurse to do so, if they wish). So, just because someone is a medical assistant and not a nurse, does not mean that they are not qualified to do the job. It's a slap in the face for us to be treated like we're sub-par just because we're not "nurses."
It may vary by state, but our here an MA is no different than a CNA really. They are not certified to do much of anything except take BP's, weights, and that's about it. It's an 8 month certification program and you can do it straight out of high school if you choose. Doesn't take but 8 months to do, no college required, and they make around $12/hr out here. I know it is similar in Nebraska as well, which is where my mom works as an RN. I haven't met an MA out here who knows what they are doing (most cannot even take a BP correctly), yet they pawn themselves off as nurses and many give medical advice as they shouldn't.

So I have very good reasons on why I am not very pro MA, at least in my area.
February 26th, 2012, 05:27 PM
::er!ca::'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommie2One View Post
It may vary by state, but our here an MA is no different than a CNA really. They are not certified to do much of anything except take BP's, weights, and that's about it. It's an 8 month certification program and you can do it straight out of high school if you choose. Doesn't take but 8 months to do, no college required, and they make around $12/hr out here. I know it is similar in Nebraska as well, which is where my mom works as an RN. I haven't met an MA out here who knows what they are doing (most cannot even take a BP correctly), yet they pawn themselves off as nurses and many give medical advice as they shouldn't.

So I have very good reasons on why I am not very pro MA, at least in my area.
That's not a real medical assistant, IMO.

A true, certified medical assistant (CMA) requires a college degree in medical assisting, which includes clinicals and an externship, and passing a national board certification exam, plus continuing education credits (60 points every 60 months to keep the credentials).
February 26th, 2012, 05:38 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by ::er!ca:: View Post
That's not a real medical assistant, IMO.

A true, certified medical assistant (CMA) requires a college degree in medical assisting, which includes clinicals and an externship, and passing a national board certification exam, plus continuing education credits (60 points every 60 months to keep the credentials).
Well "real" or not, that's all we have out here. Doctor's offices have done away with RN's because they cost too much, only place you'll find one is at a hospital. And the doc's offices and schools use CNA's and the MA I described above.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search