They're trying to worry me to death!!

Forum: Moms of Gradeschoolers

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Moms of Gradeschoolers LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 15th, 2012, 07:25 AM
Momof4Boyz's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to Momof4Boyz
First Joe has his overnight stay at Seaworld - NO parent chaperones. Now Jay's class is doing a week of swim lessons at the YMCA and again, NO parent chaperones!! UGH!!! Trying not to freak out, but I am.

Facebook
May 15th, 2012, 11:36 AM
mamma_anna's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Wow! I'd be freaking out too.

If I were you, I'd contact the YMCA directly and ask them what the set up will be and how much supervision/help they will give and how much will be the school staff.
My guess is that it would be similar to the set up they have for their regular public lessons. In which case I would think Jay would be fine.
But if I didn't like their answer, like if they only have one or even just two instructors for a class of 30 five year olds, I would definitely be keeping my kids home for that part of the day. There are lots of other ways kids can get swim lessons.

Has Joe been on the sea world trip yet? How'd it go?

May 15th, 2012, 12:21 PM
They have a total of 7 people (a mix of teachers, instructors from the red cross and life guards) and the kids will rotate turns so there is no more than 1 class in the pool at a time (25 kids). So I'm sure he'll be fine but I'll still be worried all week! And of course he is BEYOND excited - we go to the pool a couple times a week usually so he loves the pool. I wish he could swim better though and I suppose this will actually be a good thing for him, lessons from people trained to do it. Mom swim lessons are kind of sucky lol!

Joe's trip is the 8th... I cannot even begin to express my feelings on that. I am considering getting a hotel as close by as possible or even just sleeping in my van at one of the stores across the street from seaworld just so I can be close lol. My husband thinks I'm being ridiculous but Joe has only ever spent the night away from both parents maybe once? And that was a loooong time ago. He can take a cell phone which makes me happy so I can text him all night and he'll be allowed to call me before "bedtime". I'm going to have grey hair...er, more grey hair by the end of school this year!!

Facebook
May 15th, 2012, 12:45 PM
Oh my gosh, they just got home and the seaworld trip was moved to the 1st!!! And I got the paperwork from Seaworld I have to send back before he can go - it's the disclaimer and it's not easing my worries =\

Facebook
May 15th, 2012, 02:22 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I really cannot understand what the big deal about parent chaperones is, chances are its an occupational health and safety thing, the school isnt covered if a parent injures themselves.

There is a minimum number of adults required to supervise children when outside of school grounds, the ratio is smaller in an aquatic environment, they will be fine.
May 16th, 2012, 05:03 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I'm sure he'll be fine. I think it's awesome his school does so many fun things.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search