Let's talk computer time!

Forum: Moms of Gradeschoolers

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Momof4Boyz

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Moms of Gradeschoolers LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 18th, 2012, 05:49 AM
Momof4Boyz's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to Momof4Boyz
Do your let your GS'er use the computer for games and such?

If so, how much time do you allow them on it?

Facebook
June 18th, 2012, 07:32 AM
Jaidynsmum's Avatar Dreams do come true....
Send a message via MSN to Jaidynsmum
Lucas is on the computer around 5 hours a week. He'd rather play his playstation or the Wii.
Jaidyn is on it less, she tends to go on Moshi Monsters for about 15 minutes if I'm on, or if her sisters are on their laptops.
June 18th, 2012, 12:11 PM
::er!ca::'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I do allow her on the computer, I think it is important that she learns computer skills. As far as time, I'm not sure? Not a whole lot, not for hours at a time or anything. Maybe 30 minutes at a time, once a day... but she doesn't play daily. She mostly goes on educational websites, but I also let her play on Disney.com and PollyPocket.com too.
June 18th, 2012, 01:43 PM
Mega Super Mommy
We have one computer that most of us have to share (Dita's partner has a laptop, but only the two of them use it) so there isnt much time for computer time.

Sunny will occasionally play the Sims, make outfits on polyvore (or 'wishlists' that then get emailed to me ) and Lux has a horse riding game, but other than that theyre not really interested.
June 18th, 2012, 02:01 PM
Hi! I'm mostly a lurker on JM, my daughter is 10. DD plays on Club Penguin. If she is done with homework, she'll play on it for an hour or so until it's time for a shower. If homework ate up her evening, then I'll try to squeeze in 30 minutes for her. She loves that site. And it's what we take away when she is punished and she is not happy. We take the computer away for the day. On the weekend, she can play on it as long as she wants. So if she gets it taken away like yesterday (Sunday), that was the whole day! She was not a happy camper! So hopefully she learned her lesson. She was crying about it all night last night when she was bored and wanted to play soooo bad! Doesn't make our evening very relaxing, but hopefully it worked!
June 18th, 2012, 04:21 PM
MellieB's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Jas mostly plays educational games. Generally no more than 30 min a day.

Thanks to Claire1979 for the amazing siggy.

Tweet Tweet Facebook Bloggin'

Our Angel Baby on Facebook

June 19th, 2012, 09:45 AM
LovinMyGirls's Avatar Proud Working Momma
Both girls like the computer. Natalie likes games on PBS kids, Starfall. She LOVES abcmouse. I don't mind her being on sites like that. She's on about 30mins at a time here and there.

Arianna is older she likes to go on you tube and listen to music and watch videos. She'll play games on my FB at times too.

"
No one else will ever know the strength of my love for you. After all, you are the only one who knows what my heart sounds like from the inside." AA&NJ
June 19th, 2012, 10:27 AM
kolbysmom's Avatar Ready For Spring!
Send a message via Yahoo to kolbysmom
I let them both on the computer. In fact, they had an old laptop of their own until Riley broke it. LOL

Kolby did all of his school this year on the computer. He also plays games. He even had his own FB for awhile for Zooworld and Sims Social.

Riley mainly plays the Wii. He does like abcmouse and PBS kids.

I try to limit them to about 30 minutes at a time.

Come Join the Fun Over at Forty Something (and Plus) Mommies
If You've Got Boys, Stop by the Moms of Boys board!

June 19th, 2012, 06:21 PM
Platinum Supermommy
They are never on the computer. They will learn how to use one when they are older
June 19th, 2012, 07:35 PM
::er!ca::'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimchi View Post
They are never on the computer. They will learn how to use one when they are older
Do they go to the computer lab at school?
June 20th, 2012, 06:43 AM
Momof4Boyz's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to Momof4Boyz
Quote:
Originally Posted by ::er!ca:: View Post
Do they go to the computer lab at school?
Yeah, I was going to ask the same thing. Here you pretty much need to be able to use the computer by Kindergarten as they use it in class several times a day.
LovinMyGirls likes this.

Facebook
June 20th, 2012, 07:17 AM
LovinMyGirls's Avatar Proud Working Momma
Same here..they learn the computer very early. Mine honestly knew how to use the computer before Pre-K..where they also had computer time.

"
No one else will ever know the strength of my love for you. After all, you are the only one who knows what my heart sounds like from the inside." AA&NJ
July 3rd, 2012, 10:29 PM
Platinum Supermommy
My son does, but with parental controls in place. I don't limit the time as he doesn't abuse the time.
July 9th, 2012, 05:56 PM
WorkerBeeMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Both my girls do but mostly the older one. Sometimes she goes on it 10 hours a week and sometimes none. Just depends. She only goes on Moshi Monsters, or other sites like that. They also go onto their schools educational games site to play games.

Mindy & Josh
Mama to 3 beautiful girls!
DD - Maya (11), DD - Sophia (7)
, & DD - Jane (0)

11/04 09/12 12/12
July 31st, 2012, 06:10 AM
mommy2Breana+Brandon's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I just let Breana start to play educational games on the pc with my supervision. no more than 30 minutes a day.

Do you love food, entertaining, cooking?!?! Then you will LOVE Tastefully Simple. www.tastefullysimple.com/web/cpisch

August 2nd, 2012, 11:07 AM
Mega Super Mommy
My oldest (8) is the only one who gets on the computer & only because dh got him hooked on some medieval game that they both play. He doesn't get on it much. Oh & he used the computer to type up a story he wrote & wanted to make a book out of.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search