birthday party invite question

Forum: Moms of Gradeschoolers

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By cybele
  • 1 Post By ::er!ca::

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Moms of Gradeschoolers LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 3rd, 2012, 05:24 AM
Hi, this is my first post. My name is Tami, I have a son who is turning 6 on August 25th. I was wondering if it is "tacky" to include his interests on his invitation (i.e. Beyblades, Mario Bros, Sonic, Golf ect) Only reason I ask is because I know shopping for his friends when they have parties have been a pain in the rear trying to figure out what they may like.

Advice is GREATLY appriciated!

Thank You!
August 3rd, 2012, 05:47 AM
Momof4Boyz's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to Momof4Boyz
I don't think so! IMO it would do nothing but help! I find it SO hard to shop for kids other than my own and it would make it much easier on me to at least know what he's interested in! Even just making sure his invite is whatever he is into would help - last year Jay got an invite with The Avengers on it so I assumed the boy must like it and that's what we based gifts on!

Facebook
August 3rd, 2012, 08:09 AM
LovinMyGirls's Avatar Proud Working Momma
I don't think so either. I NEVER know what to get kids for parties. My girls always say "I dunno" when I say what do they like.

"
No one else will ever know the strength of my love for you. After all, you are the only one who knows what my heart sounds like from the inside." AA&NJ
August 3rd, 2012, 01:18 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I think that could be helpful.
August 3rd, 2012, 04:17 PM
I put this on the back of the invite::

I put on the back
Some of Dominics interests include, but not limited to:
Golf
Super Mario Bros
Sonic The Hedgehog
Beyblades
Bakugan
Books
Board Games

Enjoys playing on the beach, video games, Nick Jr.

Turn Offs: Barbies & My Little Ponies

These are just some of Dominics wishlist items, but please know your presence is the only present he really needs.
August 3rd, 2012, 04:48 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I'm probably going to be the odd one out here, but I do think it is tacky. If we are going to a birthday party, I usually just ask whatever child of mine is invited what their friend likes, and they usually give a pretty accurate answer. Not to mention that the list you provided is about 80% of the toys aimed at boys in his age range anyway, which doesn't really help, because all you have rules out there are things no one would have bought him anyway.

I have a general belief that present information should never go on an invite though, I think it is presumptuous.

To be completely honest, if I saw that I would probably take the incredibly childish route and go and buy the kid a Barbie. Which I don't think anyone would have bought him in the first place, given that it is stereotypically a girls toy.
SpazTaz likes this.

Last edited by cybele; August 3rd, 2012 at 04:51 PM.
August 3rd, 2012, 05:42 PM
Thats mine (and my friends) type of humor tho, which is why I put it on the ones going to my friends.
August 4th, 2012, 05:20 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I don't know, the pony and Barbie comment made me laugh out loud.
August 4th, 2012, 09:27 AM
::er!ca::'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I don't like using the word tacky, but I don't think it follows proper etiquette. If parents have questions about what your child likes, they'll ask you. I'd leave it off of there. Some might find it helpful, but there will no doubt be other parents who do find it in bad taste and it might even keep them from attending the party.
SpazTaz likes this.

Last edited by ::er!ca::; August 4th, 2012 at 09:29 AM.
August 4th, 2012, 03:03 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Probably not. I',m not totally up to speed on that though as we do "no gift" parties so that parents don't have to worry about the expense of a gift. The party is his gift and we just enjoy everyone coming to celebrate.

But when my son is invited to parties, I usually call to RSVP, so I ask the parent then what their child enjoys, so putting it on the invite may be perceived as you're expecting a gift. I agree with the above that it's not really proper and personally I probably wouldn't do it.

Good luck!
August 4th, 2012, 03:08 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamikakes View Post
I put this on the back of the invite::

I put on the back
Some of Dominics interests include, but not limited to:
Golf
Super Mario Bros
Sonic The Hedgehog
Beyblades
Bakugan
Books
Board Games

Enjoys playing on the beach, video games, Nick Jr.

Turn Offs: Barbies & My Little Ponies

These are just some of Dominics wishlist items, but please know your presence is the only present he really needs.
But, by putting what he likes and what he doesn't like (and let's be honest, video games are expensive so I wouldn't expect most classroom friends to be buying video games), you've already stated that you expect a gift and that their presence isn't enough. I realize you didn't SAY it, but it is implied by adding the above.

My personal opinion for what is above is to not add that to the invites. The above would probably turn me off and I'm not sure if we would attend at that point.
August 4th, 2012, 06:09 PM
Momof4Boyz's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to Momof4Boyz
Quote:
Originally Posted by clouise View Post
I don't know, the pony and Barbie comment made me laugh out loud.
lol me too!!

I guess it comes down to who you're inviting and if you think you'll offend them. I would never dream of going to a birthday party empty handed so I appreciate input on what your child would like because if I'm going to buy a gift I'd like to at least buy something he/she will like! But that's just how I look at it!

Facebook

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search