Summer homework

Forum: Moms of Gradeschoolers

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Momof4Boyz
  • 1 Post By LovinMyGirls

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Moms of Gradeschoolers LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 4th, 2012, 06:22 PM
Momof4Boyz's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to Momof4Boyz
Did any of your GS'ers get it??

With Joe's report card was a paper from the 6th grade English teachers - they sent a list of books and the kids need to choose a few of those books and read them because they will be tested on them when they return to school!

Joe's not super thrilled about it lol.

Facebook
August 5th, 2012, 01:02 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Nope, and truthfully had that been the case I would have told them too bad so sad. The kids need a break to unwind a bit and summer is for family vacations and such. Homework isn't supposed to be given over breaks, summer included. So, I would have definitely had something to say about that and he wouldn't have been doing it.
August 5th, 2012, 02:18 PM
TemporaryMom's Avatar Regular
No, they weren't given any homework. I've never heard of that

I did sign O and A up for the library's summer reading program, though. They've LOVED it!

August 5th, 2012, 06:57 PM
LovinMyGirls's Avatar Proud Working Momma
Nope. None here. My kids wouldn't be doing it either.

"
No one else will ever know the strength of my love for you. After all, you are the only one who knows what my heart sounds like from the inside." AA&NJ
August 6th, 2012, 05:43 AM
Platinum Supermommy
None for us either. Their school doesn't give homework out during the school year, so they would never think of doing that over the summer
August 6th, 2012, 08:36 AM
Momof4Boyz's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to Momof4Boyz
I thought it was interesting, it's just reading a few books so I'm not bothered by it, it's nothing he's not already doing. I actually have friends whose children were sent home with actual workbooks, I don't think they were required - more of just practice stuff to work with over summer. I guess I might be the oddball but I wish they would do that for our school too, I like the idea of them having some practice pages to work on here and there over summer to keep the brain fresh!
TemporaryMom likes this.

Facebook
August 6th, 2012, 09:02 AM
LovinMyGirls's Avatar Proud Working Momma
My daughter reads too but for fun. Nothing she's required to do. I think if she'd be required to do it it sort of turn her off. I gave my first graders old workbooks at the end of the year too. For fun, I gave to the kids who I thought would use them but would also have fun with it. My youngest, had tons of workbooks but I don't require her to work in them. I might suggest them or she'll pick them up herself. You're right, nothing wrong with keeping the brain fresh. But it needs to be fun.. requiring children to read 3 books, do 20 pages in a book IMO is not fun.
SpazTaz likes this.

"
No one else will ever know the strength of my love for you. After all, you are the only one who knows what my heart sounds like from the inside." AA&NJ
August 6th, 2012, 04:34 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momof4Boyz View Post
I thought it was interesting, it's just reading a few books so I'm not bothered by it, it's nothing he's not already doing. I actually have friends whose children were sent home with actual workbooks, I don't think they were required - more of just practice stuff to work with over summer. I guess I might be the oddball but I wish they would do that for our school too, I like the idea of them having some practice pages to work on here and there over summer to keep the brain fresh!
They have them online that you can print for free and have them do.
August 7th, 2012, 02:38 PM
Mega Super Mommy
My son got a ton of worksheets, but none were required. I liked the idea. I think it's a good idea to keep my kids from forgetting anything over the break. We still have plenty of family time since I help them. We didn't take it on vacation, but I make them read or work on worksheets an hour a day. They enjoy it though & beg me to take them to the library for new books. I wouldn't be upset if the kids got homework assigned in the future because it's already a part of our routine.

August 13th, 2012, 08:32 AM
kiendra's Avatar Regular
we didnt get anything sent from the school
but I make them read and do some writing over the summer just to keep up their skills

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search