Starting tomorrow

Forum: Moms of Gradeschoolers

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Moms of Gradeschoolers LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 5th, 2012, 12:58 PM
Platinum Supermommy
My son will be starting 5th grade tomorrow. Can't believe where the time has gone! I think he's excited. He's REALLY happy with the teacher that he got and he's in a 5th/6th combination class so I think it will be good for him. Got his backpack all packed up and everything labeled with his name and ready to go. Just have to cut his hair tonight and make his lunch.

He's looking forward to being back in the after school gifted program, starting the trumpet in band and the violin in orchestra, doing choir again this year, and starting back with flag football in the Fall and Spring. We decided to have him drop cub scouts as the meetings were becoming more of a playdate versus actually doing anything and they made the time so early that there was just no way we could make it to the meetings. But, he was totally fine with that and is looking forward to all of the activities through the schoo that he can do this year. Busy busy, but keeps him focused and (hopefully) out of trouble!

Here's to an outstanding 2012-2013 school year for all!
August 5th, 2012, 02:19 PM
TemporaryMom's Avatar Regular
Sounds like a good kid!!!

We don't start until the 20th.

August 5th, 2012, 02:36 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by TemporaryMom View Post
Sounds like a good kid!!!

We don't start until the 20th.
For the most part. He can be a handful sometimes. 11 going on 30. Typical issues with the gifted kids, which can be trying for a mom who doesn't "get" it (i.e. ME LoL). Typical stuff in class, he gets done early so he talks too much, doesn't like doing "busy work", etc. I'm hoping being in the combo class this year (the kids were hand picked for it) that that will help some of those issues.

Some of the surrounding districts went back as early as July 23rd here. It's crazy because it's still 115 degrees out! I grew up in CA and we always went back the day after Labor Day (but then got out in June), they go back in late July/early August here and then get out in mid May.
August 5th, 2012, 02:36 PM
Buggymom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Sounds like an exciting year for him! That's great how he is involved in those different activities. I think that's really good for kids....and WOW....he plays TWO instruments. How fun! I hope he has a great year.

August 5th, 2012, 02:39 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buggymom View Post
Sounds like an exciting year for him! That's great how he is involved in those different activities. I think that's really good for kids....and WOW....he plays TWO instruments. How fun! I hope he has a great year.
Well, we'll see how the two instruments go. They're not allowed to join band or orchestra until 5th grade, he's going into 5th grade and he wants to do both. If it becomes too much, then he can drop one, but we decided if he wanted to do both and could keep up with both then more power to him. Who knows, he may have an apptitude for music and do very well, so figured there was no harm in trying. You rent the instruments, you don't buy them, so if it doesn't work out we're not out anything really.

Yes, last year he did cub scouts, choir, flag football, and the after school gifted program. This year since he's eligible for band and orchestra he wants to do both and with cub scouts making their meeting time so much earlier this year that wasn't going to work out anyway so we dropped that. He REALLY wants to join the Explorer program through our police department, but you have to be 14 to do that so he has 3 more years before he is allowed to join that one. He loves being involved in stuff through school. Ran for student council one year too hehe.
August 5th, 2012, 06:56 PM
LovinMyGirls's Avatar Proud Working Momma
Glad he's excited..sounds like he'll be busy too!! Oh a combo class? Hopefully they can keep him challenged then with some older kids mixed in. Are there a lot of combo classes in your district? Best of luck this year!

"
No one else will ever know the strength of my love for you. After all, you are the only one who knows what my heart sounds like from the inside." AA&NJ
August 5th, 2012, 07:07 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinMyGirls View Post
Glad he's excited..sounds like he'll be busy too!! Oh a combo class? Hopefully they can keep him challenged then with some older kids mixed in. Are there a lot of combo classes in your district? Best of luck this year!
I don't know about our district as it's a large district (5 elementary schools, one Jr. High and one high school), but we will have 2 of them at our elementary school this year. This is the first year they've done it. They turned our middle school (6, 7, 8) into a Jr. High only (7, 8), so the elementary schools are going from a K-5 to a K-6, so had to hire more teachers, but not enough money and not enough kids in these 2 grades to make an extra class, so this was the solution. I was in a 4th/5th combo when I was in 4th grade and it was the best year I ever had, so I am hoping it goes well. The teacher seems like a strong, no nonsense teacher so I think she will be a good fit for him as well as the combo environment. And yes, if he can work ahead that would be great as he consistently holds a 99% class average, is in the gifted program, and tends to finish quickly and not like to do busy work so if she can keep him challenged I think he will do far better than in previous years.
August 5th, 2012, 08:12 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I hope he has a good first day! Growing up in NC we always went back super early...like first week of August. A few years back though they passed a law pushing the start date towards the end of August.
August 6th, 2012, 05:40 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I hope he has a great first day! It sounds like he is off to an awesome start!
August 6th, 2012, 08:37 AM
Momof4Boyz's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to Momof4Boyz
Hope he has a great first day - and year!

Facebook
August 6th, 2012, 08:59 AM
LovinMyGirls's Avatar Proud Working Momma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommie2One View Post
I don't know about our district as it's a large district (5 elementary schools, one Jr. High and one high school), but we will have 2 of them at our elementary school this year. This is the first year they've done it. They turned our middle school (6, 7, 8) into a Jr. High only (7, 8), so the elementary schools are going from a K-5 to a K-6, so had to hire more teachers, but not enough money and not enough kids in these 2 grades to make an extra class, so this was the solution. I was in a 4th/5th combo when I was in 4th grade and it was the best year I ever had, so I am hoping it goes well. The teacher seems like a strong, no nonsense teacher so I think she will be a good fit for him as well as the combo environment. And yes, if he can work ahead that would be great as he consistently holds a 99% class average, is in the gifted program, and tends to finish quickly and not like to do busy work so if she can keep him challenged I think he will do far better than in previous years.

Thanks great. I was in a combo once too. I didn't know they had them too much though. I'd think if he's gifted it'd be at his advantaged to be in a classroom with kids a grade ahead! Sounds good!

"
No one else will ever know the strength of my love for you. After all, you are the only one who knows what my heart sounds like from the inside." AA&NJ
August 13th, 2012, 08:37 AM
kiendra's Avatar Regular
Good luck with your school year
sounds super busy but lots of fun too
hope you son likes it
August 13th, 2012, 01:24 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Thanks all. He enjoyed his first week and liked his teacher. We've had a few "hiccups" just with asanine school policies, but we'll see how it goes. They won't allow the kids to play 2 instruments, as band and orchestra are both taught at the same time, so he had to choose one. It looks like it is going to be the violin, but we won't know for sure until today. Then he is trying out for journalism as well so we should know if he got that sometime next week.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search