Completely crazy!

Forum: Moms of Gradeschoolers

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree10Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Moms of Gradeschoolers LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 13th, 2012, 01:44 PM
Platinum Supermommy
So, my son comes home last week to tell me that they're not allowed to eat a snack at the morning break anymore. I thought for sure he was confused and misunderstood as they have a 10 minute break to get a drink, use the restroom, and then sit on the grass to talk to their friends (not allowed to play anymore *sigh*). I couldn't imagine WHY they could not eat a small snack if they were outside anyway. So, I email the teacher to ask about it (in addition to something else), and she said that the new school policy was going to be no snacks this year, stating that last year they found that kids were being sent with unhealthy snacks and junk food, but they had had a staff meeting that afternoon and decided they would allow snacks, but they had to be healthy. (keep in mind, my son eats b-fast around 6:30-7:00, lunch isn't until 12:00...that's a long time for kids to not eat!).

So, we get a note home on Friday stating the same thing. Okay, I don't send my kid with junk anyway (although personally I don't think the school should be able to dictate what parents can and cannot send their child to eat when it is coming from home). But then my son tells me he cannot bring the trail mix I bought to school for snack. I asked him why, he said because there is M&M's in it....oh but they can bring a granola bar that has chocolate chips in it and that is okay. SERIOUSLY? I get a pretty healthy trail mix, 4 different kinds of whole nuts and raisons in it and there's a few M&M's (I put 2 handfuls in a snack baggie...there were 5 M&M's, okay not like he's eating candy for snack here). Well, I sent it anyway. We'll see what happens. I told my son to just not draw attention to it, go outside and eat and be done with it.

Then, we had the issue of the teacher wanting the kids to put the scissors that we sent in for our kids into a community basket. My son did not (the one time he listened to me LoL). He's left handed and we had issues last year with him not being able to cut because the scissors were made for right handed people. So I spent a decent amount more $$ on scissors that were either or and told him I expected them to come home at the end of the year and to not put them in a community basket/bucket. I bought scissors last year, they went into the community bucket and I never saw them again. She also told him he couldn't have the pencil box he brought in...why not? I told him to leave it there, don't be obnoxious with it. If she says something again, bring it home and he can take in the pencil pouch from last year. If she says something again then he can ask her well then what is he supposed to use to keep his stuff in. I'm SO sick of the stupid rules I could scream. Why does it have to be so difficult? Why can't I be responsible for MY kid and he can be responsible for his stuff while at school? I don't remember so many issues when I was this age.

So, we'll see how things go over the next week or two. Hopefully the teacher and I don't butt heads too much, but I'm sick of stuff that we buy for OUR kid going into a "community" bin and then we never see it again, or he ends up getting something of far lesser quality than what I purchased to use and/or bring home. We shall see!
August 13th, 2012, 03:09 PM
Jaidynsmum's Avatar Dreams do come true....
Send a message via MSN to Jaidynsmum
Don't blame you for wanting to scream! If I spent a load of MY money on stuff for MY kid I sure as hell wouldn't want any other kid getting it. Another reason I'm glad the schools here provide everything for kids up until the age of 11/12 when they start High School.
SpazTaz and BOYSxTWO like this.
August 13th, 2012, 03:24 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Yeah I'm ready to explode. The school is SUPPOSED to supply everything the kids need in order to learn here, but they're broke, so they request items for your child.
August 13th, 2012, 04:07 PM
Mega Super Mommy
That's very odd.

We get a list of items we need to buy, but the kids keep them in their own pencil cases. There usually are a few class sets of things like scissors, but the school buys them.

Also odd about the snacks. I don't disagree with the healthy eating part I suppose, but couldn't they have a "morning fruit snack" rule or something, rather than nothing?

Also confused as to why they aren't allowed to play.
SpazTaz likes this.
August 13th, 2012, 04:23 PM
Platinum Supermommy
It's actually not odd for here Cybele. Very very common in most of the schools. What was preached to me is it is put in place so the children who cannot afford things don't feel bad. This way scissors, pencils, markers, etc go in a community box and if there aren't enough for everyone, well then kids can share, but nobody knows who didn't bring theirs in. Well, call me a rebel but that's really not my problem. I tend to spend a little more and get higher quality products that tend to last a bit longer, and in turn I expect that he gets to use those plus that I get them back at the end of the year, so that we can hopefully re-use stuff next year as well as over the summer.

I don't have a problem with the kids eating healthy, however at the same time, I think it should be the parent's right to choose what they send their kids with for a snack. If it's a food that comes from home, I don't think the school should be able to say no.

On the playing you got me. Probably because it's only a 10 minute break and it isn't long enough when they want them to use the restroom? I'm not sure. So yeah they only get 10 minutes at lunch to play the entire day and PE only once a week yet continue to complain about how US kids are so overweight.

Extremely frustrated. I have seriously considered homeschooling at this point my frustration level is getting so high.
August 13th, 2012, 05:47 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I'd be annoyed too. It's really none of their business what you send your son to eat. Is his teacher also a nutritionist?
SpazTaz likes this.
August 13th, 2012, 06:17 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by clouise View Post
I'd be annoyed too. It's really none of their business what you send your son to eat. Is his teacher also a nutritionist?
Haha not as far as I know. But I will say it isn't the teacher stating the rules, it was a school wide policy. What I found exceptionally hilarious is that when he was in K, we did "community snack", where one parent brought snack in for the entire class each day (it was divided between the kids and they each had a day they brought in snack for everyone), and on the note home it said only healthy items, no candy or unhealthy snacks. But then went on to say that some ideas were handi-snacks, fruit snacks, fruit roll ups, OMG I about lost it. On what planet is that considered healthy? Personally I consider fruit snacks to be candy. So yes, it's very obvious that the school really doesn't have a clue as to "healthy eating".
August 13th, 2012, 07:18 PM
Platinum Supermommy
B's kindergarten class did the community snack thing. I liked it because then I only had to think about getting snack once a month.
August 13th, 2012, 07:30 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by clouise View Post
B's kindergarten class did the community snack thing. I liked it because then I only had to think about getting snack once a month.
See I hated it and eventually opted out because 4 out of 5 days parents brought cheap crap in like fruit snacks, twinkies, etc and I didn't want my kid eating that. So, we just opted out and he took his own daily and it wasn't an issue. Had they kept to the healthy snack I wouldn't have minded though.
August 13th, 2012, 08:29 PM
Mega Super Mommy
They don't get to play at lunch time either?

Wow, here they have recess for 25mins, then lunch for 1 hour, 15mins in the classroom eating, then 45mins outside, unless it is raining of course, both of which they can do whatever they like (that said, we do lunch different to America, I know that, school lunches don't exist, everyone brings their own packed lunch, my kid's school has a "tuckshop" once a week, but it is a bit pricey)

Sasha's kinder does the "community snack" too, only it is strict guidelines that it must be a fruit, and not a kiwifruit as there is a little girl anaphylactic to kiwis in his class. It is cheap, easy and good. We haven't paid a cent for it, we just go outside and pick something off a tree because we grow so many fruits and veggies.

They also have a healthy food policy in the packed lunches, and they are hypocritical about it too, like yours, we have roll-ups on the "good food" list. A roll up is worse than most lollies in my eyes because they stick to your teeth. Unfortunately though, I see the need for it, it came in when my older two were nearing the end of primary school and there was an issue with kids bringing cans of soft drink and engrey drinks to school for lunch. I'd love to know who came up with the list though, because it is pretty hypocritical.

Doesn't bother me too much though, because pretty much all the banned items I wouldn't send my kids to school with in the first place.
August 13th, 2012, 08:29 PM
LovinMyGirls's Avatar Proud Working Momma
I hate all the rules on what can and can not be brought in for snacks etc. It's your child..if you pack a non-healthy snack why is it a teacher's responsibility..or vice versa.

I see the point on community supplies, but still don't like it. If your son is left handed he certainly shouldn't be made to use right handed scissors. That's completely ridiculous. Some of the rules just get crazier and crazier!!
SpazTaz likes this.

"
No one else will ever know the strength of my love for you. After all, you are the only one who knows what my heart sounds like from the inside." AA&NJ
August 13th, 2012, 08:36 PM
Platinum Supermommy
They get to play for 10 minutes at lunch and then they go in and get 20 minutes to eat. Personally my son takes his lunch from home because our school lunches are expensive not to mention gross. But there is the option to buy if they choose to. But yeah they get 10 minutes to play then 20 minutes to eat then lunch is over.
August 14th, 2012, 05:33 AM
Momof4Boyz's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to Momof4Boyz
Well everyone pretty much said what I was already thinking! That would piss me off too! And I HATE "community" stuff, Joe's school did that for 1st grade and I had bought nicer stuff and he ended up with junk. Really annoyed me!
SpazTaz likes this.

Facebook
August 14th, 2012, 07:36 AM
Platinum Supermommy
We'll see how it goes. I got kind of a "nasty gram" email from his teacher yesterday saying he was being rude and disrespectful...well I have a feeling a lot of that was due to me because I was telling him not to put his stuff into a community basket so he was listening to me and not her. So, I told her as much and came up with a solution that would hopefully be a compromise for us both and make everyone happy. So, we'll see how the rest of the week goes. I'm actually considering changing schools due to some of the issues, this included.
August 14th, 2012, 01:26 PM
Jaidynsmum's Avatar Dreams do come true....
Send a message via MSN to Jaidynsmum
10 minutes to play ALL day?!!! I just don't get that at all! It's a long day to just have 10 minutes of 'letting off steam' Over here they have 15 minutes in the morning to go out and play (unless it's raining, then it's play time in the class room), lunch is an hour and the kids leave the dinner hall as soon as they're finished so the length of play time depends on how fast a kid eats During the summer kids with packed lunches get to eat outside if it's sunny, which my kids always loved doing.
August 14th, 2012, 01:59 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaidynsmum View Post
During the summer kids with packed lunches get to eat outside if it's sunny, which my kids always loved doing.
My kid's school does that too and they love it, they say it's like going on a picnic.

Although once they let them sit in the kitchen garden to eat, but they ate all the cherry tomatoes off the vines so they cannot go and eat in there any more.
August 14th, 2012, 04:23 PM
Platinum Supermommy
They get to eat in the grass here too, but not until Fall or winter. Our summer is now and our days have been 111 to 120 degrees....WAY too hot to be sitting outside to eat that's for sure.

They, last year, did the 15 minutes to eat and 15 minutes to play, however I guess they had issues with kids throwing away their lunches so they could go out and play more, so they changed it this year to have the kids play first and each their lunches afterwards.
August 14th, 2012, 05:00 PM
MellieB's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybele View Post
They don't get to play at lunch time either?

Wow, here they have recess for 25mins, then lunch for 1 hour, 15mins in the classroom eating, then 45mins outside, unless it is raining of course, both of which they can do whatever they like (that said, we do lunch different to America, I know that, school lunches don't exist, everyone brings their own packed lunch, my kid's school has a "tuckshop" once a week, but it is a bit pricey)

Sasha's kinder does the "community snack" too, only it is strict guidelines that it must be a fruit, and not a kiwifruit as there is a little girl anaphylactic to kiwis in his class. It is cheap, easy and good. We haven't paid a cent for it, we just go outside and pick something off a tree because we grow so many fruits and veggies.

They also have a healthy food policy in the packed lunches, and they are hypocritical about it too, like yours, we have roll-ups on the "good food" list. A roll up is worse than most lollies in my eyes because they stick to your teeth. Unfortunately though, I see the need for it, it came in when my older two were nearing the end of primary school and there was an issue with kids bringing cans of soft drink and engrey drinks to school for lunch. I'd love to know who came up with the list though, because it is pretty hypocritical.

Doesn't bother me too much though, because pretty much all the banned items I wouldn't send my kids to school with in the first place.

Its amazing at how different things are. They try and "preach" the healthy eating thing and Jas's school too but no one follows it. Her teacher, however, is amazing and provides a fruit bowl in the classroom for the kids out of her own pocket.
SpazTaz and cybele like this.

Thanks to Claire1979 for the amazing siggy.

Tweet Tweet Facebook Bloggin'

Our Angel Baby on Facebook

August 14th, 2012, 07:42 PM
Mega Super Mommy
The school we went to before here was like that with the foods. . .only healthy snacks. Of course their idea of healthy included some pretty unhealthy crap. Of course my son loved his veggies so I sent him with baggies of baby carrots or cherry tomatoes & we never had problems anyway. They had a lot of other crazy rules too. His new school is totally different.

& I hate community supplies when I spend extra money for the "cool" stuff & they don't even keep them!!!

August 15th, 2012, 07:58 AM
Mega Super Mommy
That's terrible and ridicolous why teachers do that who cares if some parent gives them snacks with cookies.

When Brendan was in Kindergarten and First Grade when I bought snacks were snack boxes to be shared with kids which to me is a bit risky because Brendan has a peanut allergy and 1 time on an early out day when we were getting him he got a PBJ crustable I'm like he can't have that and I imagined he would have eaten it since its food if I wasn't there.

When he was a 2nd grader he ate from the snack boxes he brought to school so I'm hoping it will be like that this year .

His lunch time is really short like 30 minutes and kids can spend 10-15 minutes in line due to 3 classes lined up for lunch for each grade so hopefully less will be in line this year as 3rd grade only has 2 classes.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search