Crossing Guards & Police Patrol

Forum: Moms of Gradeschoolers

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Moms of Gradeschoolers LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 15th, 2012, 05:15 AM
::er!ca::'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Does your child's school have crossing guards and police patrol (outside the school- pulling people over for not following traffic laws)?

Today is the second day of school and two officers had cars pulled over on the block the school is on. I'm thankful for the extra patrol during the times when we're walking to/from school. We have to cross a relatively busy intersection, and people just don't pay attention. They'll turn on red when they're not supposed to and they'll turn in front of you instead of waiting for you to cross the road. Idiots! We also have crossing guards, but a police officer crosses us at the intersection we cross. The other intersections around the school have hired crossing guards.

Last edited by ::er!ca::; August 15th, 2012 at 05:21 AM.
August 15th, 2012, 08:24 AM
Platinum Supermommy
We do have crossing guards yes, but no police. There's a COP car that sits out there, which is citizens on patrol, they're in a police CAR but they're not police officers, but the idea is that the sight of the car will slow folks down. We're in a subdivision, not off of a major road, so it's not bad. Our crossing guard are non-paid parent volunteers.
August 15th, 2012, 07:44 PM
LovinMyGirls's Avatar Proud Working Momma
I don't typically pick up my girls. There are crossing guards at the elementary school but not at the middle school. The middle school is actually in a better setting, not right off a major road.

"
No one else will ever know the strength of my love for you. After all, you are the only one who knows what my heart sounds like from the inside." AA&NJ
August 16th, 2012, 09:01 AM
purplepieguy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Neither for the elementary school.
The middle and high schools have a sheriff's deputy on campus.
August 16th, 2012, 09:44 AM
Platinum Supermommy
They have neither, and that place is a zoo. There is no drop-off loop...parents are supposed to let their kids off in the parking lot to talk through traffic to get to the front door. Um...no. I parked my car and walked my kids into the lobby each day, which was a pain. Then after school they release all the car-riders as "walkers" and you are supposed to tell your child where you will meet them...like at a certain tree or something. No adult is in charge. The bus riders are walked to their bus by a fifth grader. The buses themselves are parked in a long line right in front of the school, so the children who are walkers or car riders squeeze in between the buses to get to the school. They are really supposed to walk all the way to the end of the buses, cross in front, then walk all the way back down to the front door, but no little kid is going to walk several minutes out of their way for that. I honestly am surprised there has not be a terrible accident at that school.
August 16th, 2012, 10:55 AM
::er!ca::'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by clouise View Post
They have neither, and that place is a zoo. There is no drop-off loop...parents are supposed to let their kids off in the parking lot to talk through traffic to get to the front door. Um...no. I parked my car and walked my kids into the lobby each day, which was a pain. Then after school they release all the car-riders as "walkers" and you are supposed to tell your child where you will meet them...like at a certain tree or something. No adult is in charge. The bus riders are walked to their bus by a fifth grader. The buses themselves are parked in a long line right in front of the school, so the children who are walkers or car riders squeeze in between the buses to get to the school. They are really supposed to walk all the way to the end of the buses, cross in front, then walk all the way back down to the front door, but no little kid is going to walk several minutes out of their way for that. I honestly am surprised there has not be a terrible accident at that school.
Wow! That sounds absolutely unsafe and insane!

I'm glad that DDs' school has strict policies and it makes for smooth transportation of the kids. Bus riders go out the front doors to the buses (there are only two buses). Walkers and car riders exit out the side doors that lead onto the playground. All of those students stay with their teacher, and the teacher releases the car riders to the car line once two other teachers are at the car line to help get kids in the car. The car line goes down the road behind the school, and is a one way street. Walkers are then released to their parent/guardian, or released to walk on their own.
August 16th, 2012, 12:15 PM
Jaidynsmum's Avatar Dreams do come true....
Send a message via MSN to Jaidynsmum
We have crossing patrollers called 'lollipop ladies/men' due to the lollipop shaped stop sign they carry. They are employed by the council and are placed on all the major and dangerous roads. The bus kids are met by the school caretaker in the morning who makes sure they get off the bus and into the school grounds safely (they have a whole 2 metres to walk to get through the gate onto the path ) After school the caretaker and 2 classroom assistants make sure the kids all get onto the buses safely. Bus kids get out of class 5 minutes before everyone else and are usually on their buses before the rest of the school get out.
We have yellow zigzag lines in front of all the school gates, where no-one is allowed to park, we also have a 20 mph speed limit around all schools.
August 16th, 2012, 07:49 PM
LovinMyGirls's Avatar Proud Working Momma
Wow that is crazy!

We also have separate exits for busers(front door) & the side door for walkers/car riders. Busers are dismissed a few minutes earlier. The k-2 kids stay with their teacher until they see someone. Which is helpful because they are so little. It's less chaotic because it's out by the playground as well.

"
No one else will ever know the strength of my love for you. After all, you are the only one who knows what my heart sounds like from the inside." AA&NJ
August 17th, 2012, 04:39 AM
Mega Super Mommy
--

Last edited by cybele; September 29th, 2013 at 10:37 PM.
August 17th, 2012, 07:09 AM
Platinum Supermommy
The public grade school has police patrol and crossing guards. The school my kids go to doesn't because it is out in the country and there is no bus service or kids that walk to school. Sometimes a police car is on the street stopping speeders, but that isn't related to the school.
August 17th, 2012, 09:17 AM
Momof4Boyz's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to Momof4Boyz
Yes, both! There are several cross guards and cops all over the place when school is starting/letting out. It's a very busy road and well, people suck and just try to fly through the area. Although my kids are usually bus riders, I am glad the school takes extra care to make sure the walking kids are getting home safe too!

Facebook

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search