Open house went well!

Forum: Moms of Gradeschoolers

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Moms of Gradeschoolers LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 18th, 2012, 09:37 AM
Momof4Boyz's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to Momof4Boyz
Joe got his class list, he starts his day with world history, then comprehensive science, math, lunch, advanced English, language arts, STEM, then finishes his day with PE. We met all but his homeroom teacher she wasn't there (figures). He's excited about English (it's kind of his thing) and his STEM class but the rest is kind of, you know, school lol. We got his gym uniform and it's about 5 sizes too big - it was the smallest they had though! I'm going to do some creative sewing here in a bit! Most of his teachers seem ok, so we'll see!
We tried to get him to look into band and sports but he's just not interested and I don't know how to get him to be! I think he would enjoy school more if he had something to make him feel more apart of the school vs just going class to class. It would help him make a new group of friends and I don't know, I just think he'd benefit! I know I did! But he refuses. *sigh*

Met Jay's teacher, she seems real nice too. He's nervous but excited and ready for school. I talked to her a bit about his hand issue but there were a lot of parents trying to talk to her so I told her I'd just write it in a note for her.
I'm worried he may not communicate well with her, he really just clams up when adults he doesn't know talk to him. I don't want her to think he's being defiant if he stops writing or doing an activity that causes him pain. I worry his finger might get stuck in position and that they might do something stupid like try to force it open. Hopefully she'll take the time to read my note.

My husband took it upon himself to take Joe for a haircut and to get the rest of his uniforms and then to go grocery shopping and get the rest of the school supplies so I'm just kicking back at home with the little kids today!

Facebook
August 19th, 2012, 08:10 AM
LovinMyGirls's Avatar Proud Working Momma
Glad it went well. Are their any other clubs Joe could join? A Reading Club (if he reads sine you said he likes English). Something more along the lines of what he enjoys.

Hope their year is great!

Ari has open house Wed/Nat's is Thurs.

"
No one else will ever know the strength of my love for you. After all, you are the only one who knows what my heart sounds like from the inside." AA&NJ
August 19th, 2012, 09:33 AM
Jaidynsmum's Avatar Dreams do come true....
Send a message via MSN to Jaidynsmum
I can't get my head around the US system Joe's in 6th grade right? Over here at that age the kids are still in one class with one teacher for everything! They don't start moving classes/teachers until they go to High School at 11/12 which as far as I can work out is your 7th grade (basing this on the fact that my youngest is in P2 and all her JM PR buddies are starting 1st grade)
Anyway glad it went well!!
August 19th, 2012, 01:14 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaidynsmum View Post
I can't get my head around the US system Joe's in 6th grade right? Over here at that age the kids are still in one class with one teacher for everything! They don't start moving classes/teachers until they go to High School at 11/12 which as far as I can work out is your 7th grade (basing this on the fact that my youngest is in P2 and all her JM PR buddies are starting 1st grade)
Anyway glad it went well!!
This just depends over here. Some schools have gone to "middle school" which is 6, 7, 8. Others have stayed Jr. High which is 7th and 8th. If it's a middle school they switch around durign 6th, if it's a Jr. High then the 6th grades stay at the elementary schools (one teacher one classroom), and don't switch classes and such until 7th/8th. It isn't an across the board thing, depends on what city/district you live in and how the school system is divided in that district. For my district it was a middle school system last year (and previous years), but they switched it and turned it into a Jr. High system this year and brought the 6th graders back to the elementary school and made the Jr. HIgh 7th and 8th.

For the original post, sounds like things went pretty well. I also agree is there an after school club or something that is a book club or reading club that he may enjoy? I know our school does "battle of the books" where they have to read certain books and then they're quizzed on them in a competition type setting. May be something he'd enjoy if they do it there.

Also, have you looked into boy scouts at all? If he's in 6th grade, that's the first year boy scouts starts. He may enjoy that and where it isn't school based, it'd be an after school activity with another group of friends that he may like.

Maybe once school starts and clubs and such are formed (I know those didn't usually form until after we started school) he'll want to join something. But some kids just aren't the club and activity type. My step brothers never were much into that stuff, but they still did just fine. If he enjoys reading, then maybe he and some of his friends who also enjoy it could start their own after school club at someone's house and do something that way?

Hope they both have a great year and that things run smoothly! Been on both sides of that coin and things are so much nicer when things run smoothly and the kids are happy/excited!
August 20th, 2012, 06:38 AM
He did cub scouts a few years ago but had a really bad experience with it - our leaders kid was a bully and made it miserable - so he's lost interest in even trying. Jay wants to though lol!
I think they have an art club, I hope so at least, he's going to look into that!

Facebook
August 20th, 2012, 10:20 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momof4Boyz View Post
He did cub scouts a few years ago but had a really bad experience with it - our leaders kid was a bully and made it miserable - so he's lost interest in even trying. Jay wants to though lol!
I think they have an art club, I hope so at least, he's going to look into that!
Do you guys have another pack in your area? We went to one when my son was either 6 or 7 and it was awful. There was only like 7 or 8 kids in the entire pack, it was boring, they sat there filling in a US map for an entire hour and he was bored stiff. We decided it wasn't for us after sitting in on a couple of meetings. A year or so later we saw a stand set up at his meet the teacher night and they didn't know what pack that was but said there were like 50 or 60 kids in theirs and they did tons of stuff. So, we went and sat in on a pack meeting and he LOVED it with all of the activities and awards and such. So we signed up.

Now, this year we're dropping it because they've made the den meetings way too early in the afternoon compared to when he gets home from school, there's just no way we could make it over there to make it worth anyone's while.

But, it may be worth trying another pack in your area, or see if there's another one in your area. They'll allow you to sit in on a meeting or two before they ask you to pay the registration fees, get a uniform, etc.
August 20th, 2012, 11:47 AM
We're in a completely different state now and I seen the boy scouts out selling popcorn and I told him he would probably really enjoy it here, with the weather I am sure they do all sorts of fun things but he won't hear of it! I may get Jay into it and then he may want to join in if he thinks his brother is having fun lol.
It's so funny how different my kids are, Joe doesn't want to try out or do anything and Jayden wants to do everything! He wants to be in basketball, soccer, football, karate and boy scouts. He'd have us running 24/7 if he could! I hope we can find him a few teams to join this year now that he's finally old enough!

Facebook
August 20th, 2012, 11:53 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momof4Boyz View Post
We're in a completely different state now and I seen the boy scouts out selling popcorn and I told him he would probably really enjoy it here, with the weather I am sure they do all sorts of fun things but he won't hear of it! I may get Jay into it and then he may want to join in if he thinks his brother is having fun lol.
It's so funny how different my kids are, Joe doesn't want to try out or do anything and Jayden wants to do everything! He wants to be in basketball, soccer, football, karate and boy scouts. He'd have us running 24/7 if he could! I hope we can find him a few teams to join this year now that he's finally old enough!
Oh yeah popcorn is their big thing. Our pack stopped selling popcorn and went to nuts because the popcorn got SO expensive ($30+ for a thing of it was outrageous). May be worth just taking him to a meeting and seeing what he thinks. My son was really bent on not doing it too, but I told him we were going to go and if he still didn't want to join that was fine but at least give it another try since it was a totally different pack. Took about 5 minutes of being there that he said he really was having fun and wanted to join LoL.

Yeah my son is one that wants to try everything too. He's done baseball, karate, flag football, doing orchestra this year, tried out for journalism this year and last year both, ran for student council last year, is in the after school gifted program, cub scouts, wants to join Explorers when he is old enough (14). Now he didn't enjoy everything. Karate was a bust, journalism and student council he didn't get last year (waiting to find out on journalism for this year), baseball he enjoyed but he enjoys flag football more so he tends to go with that over baseball (they're at the same time so can't do both), etc. But our rule has always been you have to try something before you can say you don't like it or don't want to do it. If you try it and don't like it that's fine, but have to give it a chance first (has always gone for food too).

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search