First day =\

Forum: Moms of Gradeschoolers

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Moms of Gradeschoolers LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 20th, 2012, 06:50 AM
Momof4Boyz's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to Momof4Boyz
Well, WE had a good first day! Mostly lol. A little slow getting up and out of the house so early but we got there plenty early enough. They had SO much stuff to carry in, it was crazy!
I left totally mad though because the school won't let anyone but Kindergarten parents walk their kids to class, however, I just fib a little and go in anyway because I'm not going to expect my 6 yr old to carry something that weighs as much as him - there is NO physical way, especially with his hand, that he could carry his stuff in. But there were moms crying because they couldn't walk their first graders in and there was this one little girl bawling because she wanted her mommy to walk her into class and they wouldn't let her and the staff member actually grabbed the girl by her arm and forcefully took her to her class, omg, not even my kid and I about lost it. If that had my child I swear I don't know what I would have done but the police may have ended up having to come. I was SO mad for those parents!! Then on my way out there was a mom asking if she could help her son to class and they told her, "nope, he's just gotta throw it on his shoulders and pack it in" - the AAP clearly states that children should not carry more than 10-20% of their body weight, I think I am going to print that out and highlight that for the principal. What pisses me off more is that this problem could be avoided by having supply lists given out in advance so that parents could bring supplies during open house instead of giving us the list 2 days before school starts. Ugh!!! Ok, frustrated with that whole thing!

But anyway, I walked Jay to class and got him set up and he seemed excited! Then I took Joe down to middle school, of course I couldn't get past the hall police to walk him in but he said he thought he could manage - man it was a lot of stuff though!

First grade! (Little brother was REALLY jealous and wanted to stay)

Off to middle school building! I was still carrying his stuff which my shoulder HURTS from it!

And he has his class list in hand, CLASS LIST!!! *cry* How did he get so big?!

Facebook
August 20th, 2012, 10:15 AM
Platinum Supermommy
So glad they had a great first day. Are they home already or still at school?

I've never been one to walk my son to class, but I think if parents choose to then they should be able to for sure! Especially if they had heavy supplies and needed help. Did they say why they wouldn't allow it? Security issue maybe? I don't blame you for being upset. Seems like the schools have really made things extremely difficult all the way around, after our first week and a half, I completely feel for you!

I hope things get better and everything irons itself out and the 2nd + days go a bit better. And hopefully they come home/came home very excited about their first day!!
August 21st, 2012, 05:41 AM
Momof4Boyz's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to Momof4Boyz
Jay had a great first day! He likes his teacher and now that he is in 1st grade they get to use the big playground so he was thrilled about that lol.

Joe's was OK. He got to his homeroom though and the teacher took 3 things from his bag and told him to take the rest home. So with no lockers he had to pack all that heavy stuff from class to class to class all day long. He came home with deep red indents on his shoulders from how heavy his backpack was and it literally ripped his backpack apart, I have to go get him a new one today. Even without the supplies in it, it's just too heavy for him. I bet it weighs every bit of 30lbs, because they no lockers and no classroom storage the students are required to drag their big heavy textbooks to and from school everyday!
Other than that he liked all but 1 teacher and found some old friends from last year and made a few new ones.

Facebook
August 21st, 2012, 07:37 AM
Platinum Supermommy
OMG they have to drag everything around? That's CRAZY!

But glad that they liked their teachers and enjoyed their first days.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search