Bullying?

Forum: Moms of Gradeschoolers

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By BOYSxTWO
  • 1 Post By SpazTaz
  • 1 Post By Jennaphur

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Moms of Gradeschoolers LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 4th, 2012, 06:29 AM
Have any of your kids ever got picked on/bullied? My daughter complains about kids picking on her in her classroom and on the bus. I've tried going to the school about it and teaching her how to stand up for herself. Despite multiple trips to the school to complain, the school doesn't do anything, and she said everything that she's tried doesn't help either.
I will go insane if it goes on again this year.

Any tips or advice?
September 5th, 2012, 06:30 PM
BOYSxTWO's Avatar Veteran
Seek assistance a little further up the food chain! If you've tried at the school level, go higher...and if you need to get the media involved because you're still not getting help, do so! It's really a shame that in this day and age, some schools are STILL turning a blind eye to this bullying foolishness! I really hope you and your little girl get some help with this soon...no one should be subjected to such behavior.
clouise and Kermitthefrog99 like this.
September 5th, 2012, 07:09 PM
Platinum Supermommy
You can also go to the police. It's a crime.
clouise likes this.
September 6th, 2012, 05:00 AM
Platinum Supermommy
We had some issues on the bus last year.

I would do two things - work with your daughter and go after the school.

For the school - don't just call. Go in and make a written report. Ask if they have standardized bullying reports...if not just type something up. Ask who is in charge of investigating bullying...perhaps the principal or school counselor. Ask when you should hear back about your report. Call and check on it. Do this for every instance of bullying. Sometimes you just have to be a thorn in their side. If that doesn't help, see if there is someone you can contact at the central office. Schools have really gotten into a lot of hot water with bullying in recent years, so I think you'll be able to get some sort of response.

For your daughter - keep teaching her to be assertive. No one has the right to put their hands on her first of all. She needs to tell them loudly she doesn't like that, push them off/get away, then tell an adult. For verbal bullying pretty much the same thing applies. It sounds like you have already been over this with her, but it can't hurt to keep up the dialogue.

I hope your dd has an easier time this year...I know it can be rough.
September 6th, 2012, 06:42 AM
Momof4Boyz's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to Momof4Boyz
Everyone else pretty much summed up anything I had to offer!

My son had trouble at the start of last year with a kid in class, but the entire class and teachers had trouble with this boy. The teachers were telling the kids they were doing everything in their power to get this boy out of the school. It took about half a year but it did work, he was just something else, cussing yelling throwing things at the kids AND teacher. They had the police remove him several times last year. It makes you wonder what's going on at home or in the minds of children that aggressive!

Facebook
September 6th, 2012, 09:21 AM
Buggymom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I hate how bad bullying has gotten! My daughter just started Kindergarten so were not quite there yet. I know her school has anti-bullying assemblies...hopefully it helps. I don't know if all schools do this or not.

September 8th, 2012, 09:41 AM
LovinMyGirls's Avatar Proud Working Momma
I agree with all the advice listed. Schools should not be able to tell you there is nothing they can do or give you some story. They are responsible for their students during the day and if a child is being bullied consequences need to be given. Your poor daughter should not be made to suffer an entire year because no one will do anything. That's crap. It sickens me how many people just will not do their job!

Go to the superintendent, school board whatever it is you can. Then something will get done. Good Luck.

"
No one else will ever know the strength of my love for you. After all, you are the only one who knows what my heart sounds like from the inside." AA&NJ
September 9th, 2012, 10:04 AM
Thank you for the replies, everyone! I was keep up with my daughter and what she should be doing.
I'll keep on the school until they actually do something! It's just ridiculous how far they let this kind of stuff go! Hopefully this year will be better. They have a new principal this year, and they're doing a new program for bullying. Fingers crossed that I can finally get through to them!

It makes it so hard, too. The school she goes to is so small, but it's all grades in one school (about 500 students). So she rides the bus and is around kids in high school. She talked about this one girl bullying her on the bus that was in high school, and my sister & I told her to tell the girl she has the mental capacity of a small child. She said she did and that the girl stopped lol. So hopefully this will be the start of it all ending for her. She's a sweet girl and she doesn't deserve to be treated this way. Neither does anyone.

Thanks again for the replies! I will definitely follow your advice!
LovinMyGirls likes this.
September 10th, 2012, 06:25 PM
MellieB's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
So far we've been lucky. Jas is very strong willed and I'm honestly more concerned she will end up a bully than being bullied. We are always talking to her about how bad bullying is.

Thanks to Claire1979 for the amazing siggy.

Tweet Tweet Facebook Bloggin'

Our Angel Baby on Facebook

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search