Packing a hot lunch?

Forum: Moms of Gradeschoolers

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree8Likes
  • 2 Post By SpazTaz
  • 2 Post By SpazTaz
  • 3 Post By ::er!ca::
  • 1 Post By SpazTaz

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Moms of Gradeschoolers LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 17th, 2012, 08:23 AM
Momof4Boyz's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to Momof4Boyz
Do you do it?

Do you worry about keeping hot things hot enough and cold things cold enough?

Joe wants to pack a hot lunch this week and it kind of freaks me out. =\

Facebook
September 17th, 2012, 01:55 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Yep, we do it sometimes. I bought a good Thermos brand small thermos a couple of years ago (I'll post it below), it works FABULOUSLY and keeps things hot for him without an issue.

On cold, I got the best insulated lunchbox with the best ice pack ever from Costco at the beginning of the school year that keeps things COLD. The ice pack is still frozen by the time he gets home from school it's amazing. So, I send soup, egg salad, tuna, lunch meat, I don't worry about keeping anything hot or cold at all.

It's similar to this just a different color. It was a little pricey (I got it at Walmart), like $15, BUT we've had it for years and it's still in brand new condition.

Amazon.com: Thermos Foogo Leak Proof Stainless Steel Food Jar, Tripoli, 10 Ounce: Baby
LovinMyGirls and Mom2Brendan like this.
September 17th, 2012, 04:11 PM
MellieB's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Nope. I worry too much that it won't stay hot enough. And Jas's looses things far to easily. I'd send a thermos and never see it again.

Thanks to Claire1979 for the amazing siggy.

Tweet Tweet Facebook Bloggin'

Our Angel Baby on Facebook

September 17th, 2012, 05:24 PM
LovinMyGirls's Avatar Proud Working Momma
That thermos looks great! ! I need to look into one of those for Natalie.

"
No one else will ever know the strength of my love for you. After all, you are the only one who knows what my heart sounds like from the inside." AA&NJ
September 17th, 2012, 05:26 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinMyGirls View Post
That thermos looks great! ! I need to look into one of those for Natalie.
It is. Holds 10 ounces. What you do is heat your food up in the microwave, pan, whatever, and you put hot water in the thermos and let it sit for 5 minutes so it is warm/hot itself. Then you put the food into it. My son's lunch is 4 1/2 hours after he leaves the house and he says that his whatever I send in it is still hot, like hot enough that he has to let it sit for a few minutes with the lid off to cool off before he can eat it. Little pricey at $15 or so, but it's lasted well, easy to use and easy to clean and works really well. Only downside, it isn't dishwasher safe so you have to make sure to clean it out. They sell them at our local Walmart.
LovinMyGirls and Mom2Brendan like this.
September 18th, 2012, 05:57 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I bought a thermos from Target and it works great! Last year I packed them spaghettios sometimes and they did stay hot.
September 18th, 2012, 06:38 AM
::er!ca::'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We pack hot lunches all the time! For hot foods, I use a Thermos Funtainer food jar. You can get them at Walmart, Target, Babies R Us, amazon.com, etc. I boil water and put it in the container to warm the container up. I heat the food, then pour the water out, then put the food in the jar. I make sure to fill the jar up because it helps keep it warm. If you only fill it half way, it doesn't stay as warm. Her food is always warm, and a couple times has still been too hot for her to eat. We put anything from soup, chili, baked beans, mac & cheese, chicken nuggets, ravioli, to spaghetti in it.

The containers aren't cheap, but they're worth the price. I also use the Thermos Funtainer drink bottle for the girls in their lunch. I put 2-3 ice cubes in it, plus water or milk. When they come home at 3pm, there is always still ice in the thermos. We used these at Disney World too, they were perfect. Again, not cheap, but well worth the price. We've had ours for 3 years now and they still work perfectly.
clouise, SpazTaz and Mom2Brendan like this.
September 18th, 2012, 05:30 PM
LovinMyGirls's Avatar Proud Working Momma
Definitely looking into those. Nat would love to take soup or something. I get so tired of coming up with ideas at times.

"
No one else will ever know the strength of my love for you. After all, you are the only one who knows what my heart sounds like from the inside." AA&NJ
September 18th, 2012, 05:50 PM
Platinum Supermommy
We use the same thermos and they say the food stays warm.
September 19th, 2012, 08:38 AM
It went well, they said the food stayed hot! They took chicken tortilla soup yesterday with a salad, today they took mac and cheese, a salad and some crackers. My only objection is I don't like cooking at 6am lol! However it was some seriously good home made mac and cheese, I sampled multiple times lol!

Facebook
September 19th, 2012, 08:40 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momof4Boyz View Post
It went well, they said the food stayed hot! They took chicken tortilla soup yesterday with a salad, today they took mac and cheese, a salad and some crackers. My only objection is I don't like cooking at 6am lol! However it was some seriously good home made mac and cheese, I sampled multiple times lol!
Yay!!!! So glad it worked out!

Could you make it the night before and just heat it up in the AM? That way you're not actually cooking?
LovinMyGirls likes this.
September 19th, 2012, 08:44 AM
Yeah, I will start doing that when I can. I actually meant to make the mac and cheese for them last night but I was exhausted and decided I'd rather get up early and cook then stay up any later. Today I'm going to make their lunch for tomorrow so I can just warm and send it tomorrow.

Facebook
September 19th, 2012, 05:07 PM
::er!ca::'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommie2One View Post
Yay!!!! So glad it worked out!

Could you make it the night before and just heat it up in the AM? That way you're not actually cooking?
Yeah, when I sent hot lunch, it is typically leftovers from the night before. That way, I just have to heat it up in the morning. Much easier!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search