Sometimes I wonder if it's a school or prison.

Forum: Moms of Gradeschoolers

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By clouise
  • 2 Post By SpazTaz
  • 1 Post By Momof4Boyz
  • 1 Post By LovinMyGirls
  • 2 Post By Trish36

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Moms of Gradeschoolers LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 2nd, 2012, 05:32 AM
Momof4Boyz's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to Momof4Boyz
My husband and I are not real happy about the new early release policy they sent home yesterday. If you pick your child up early you have to bring an appointment card proving you have a doctors/dentist/therapy ect ect appointment. If you are taking them out for any other reason you have to submit a written letter explaining where and why you're taking them out of school at least 3 days prior to the day you'll be taking them out and it has to be "approved" by the school before you can remove them.

Facebook
October 2nd, 2012, 07:05 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I wouldn't like that either! They're your kids...I think you should be able to make that judgement call. I'd be curious as to what would happen if you just showed up to pick them up. Can they really stop you?

I will say that Beth's old school in Mississippi had a policy that said parents couldn't pick their kids up within thirty minutes of school letting out for any reason. This stopped parents from going to the office to check their kids out early, rather than waiting in the pick-up lane. I liked this policy because I think parents don't realize how busy the end of the day with 25 kids is, and how disruptive it is if all kinds of kids are leaving a bit early. If your kid had a medical appt or something no big deal, you just had to come a full 30 minutes before school let out.
LovinMyGirls likes this.
October 2nd, 2012, 07:10 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Ugh that's terrible is that the middle school policy ?

October 2nd, 2012, 12:18 PM
Platinum Supermommy
WOW! I don't even know what to say about that!
October 2nd, 2012, 02:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by clouise View Post
I wouldn't like that either! They're your kids...I think you should be able to make that judgement call. I'd be curious as to what would happen if you just showed up to pick them up. Can they really stop you?

I will say that Beth's old school in Mississippi had a policy that said parents couldn't pick their kids up within thirty minutes of school letting out for any reason. This stopped parents from going to the office to check their kids out early, rather than waiting in the pick-up lane. I liked this policy because I think parents don't realize how busy the end of the day with 25 kids is, and how disruptive it is if all kinds of kids are leaving a bit early. If your kid had a medical appt or something no big deal, you just had to come a full 30 minutes before school let out.
Our school has that same policy but I think it's because they don't want dozens of parents getting in the way of the buses to pick their kids up instead of waiting in the pick up line. I'm fine with that, I wouldn't even want to go near that school 30 minutes prior to dismissal, it's crazy lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Brendan View Post
Ugh that's terrible is that the middle school policy ?
Our school is K-8th and it's for the entire school.

Facebook
October 2nd, 2012, 04:20 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momof4Boyz View Post
My husband and I are not real happy about the new early release policy they sent home yesterday. If you pick your child up early you have to bring an appointment card proving you have a doctors/dentist/therapy ect ect appointment. If you are taking them out for any other reason you have to submit a written letter explaining where and why you're taking them out of school at least 3 days prior to the day you'll be taking them out and it has to be "approved" by the school before you can remove them.

May want to look into that. I'd really wonder if that's legal. Your child is required to attend school, however they are not required to attend everyday that they are in session. And you are able to take your child out for "personal reasons". They can't hold them hostage. I mean, if you go to take them out one afternoon simply because you want to (regardless of the reason) and you don't have the doctor's note, what are they going to do? Not let you take your kid?

I don't ever have an appointment card...EVER, and there have been times we don't know that many days in advance that we're going to go out of town. That would definitely be something I'd fight. Like, we're going out of town, my son will be out of school for 5 days, nobody is approving it, I simply said we're not going to be there for personal reasons and it's excused by ME, his PARENT.
October 2nd, 2012, 05:39 PM
LovinMyGirls's Avatar Proud Working Momma
Yeah I wonder how "legal" that is too. Seems a little crazy.

"
No one else will ever know the strength of my love for you. After all, you are the only one who knows what my heart sounds like from the inside." AA&NJ
October 3rd, 2012, 01:32 AM
Jaidynsmum's Avatar Dreams do come true....
Send a message via MSN to Jaidynsmum
No appointment card needed to take your kids out of primary school early/during the chool day over here, but High School kids do need them. As for kids not being at school at all due to anything other than illness it has to be approved, if it's not approved it gets put in their report as an unapproved absence.
October 3rd, 2012, 06:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommie2One View Post
May want to look into that. I'd really wonder if that's legal. Your child is required to attend school, however they are not required to attend everyday that they are in session. And you are able to take your child out for "personal reasons". They can't hold them hostage. I mean, if you go to take them out one afternoon simply because you want to (regardless of the reason) and you don't have the doctor's note, what are they going to do? Not let you take your kid?

I don't ever have an appointment card...EVER, and there have been times we don't know that many days in advance that we're going to go out of town. That would definitely be something I'd fight. Like, we're going out of town, my son will be out of school for 5 days, nobody is approving it, I simply said we're not going to be there for personal reasons and it's excused by ME, his PARENT.

I completely agree and I don't know if it is legal, seems a fishy. The letter talks about how they are required to have a certain amount of minutes of learning everyday and by taking them out they're missing that but you're able to miss a certain amount of school and still pass.

I never have an appointment card either because I make all my appointments on the phone and often times they can get me in the same day or next day so I don't have 3 days notice to give. And it's my kid and if I need to take him out I am not going to get it "approved" by anyone but myself. The whole thing really hit me the wrong way. I think if they honestly refused to let my child out of school I think I would involve the law because that just would not sit well with me!
SpazTaz likes this.

Facebook
October 3rd, 2012, 02:14 PM
LovinMyGirls's Avatar Proud Working Momma
Exactly, it's your child you can remove them for an appointment whenever you need to.
Kermitthefrog99 likes this.

"
No one else will ever know the strength of my love for you. After all, you are the only one who knows what my heart sounds like from the inside." AA&NJ
October 4th, 2012, 11:07 AM
Trish36's Avatar Mom of 4
I would be calling the school board and filing a formal complaint. And what else I would do is send a letter to the school with a copy to the school board that states that you are giving them notice right now that throughout the year you will be picking your child(ren) up early for appointments or personal reasons without giving them any other notice. See what they do with that.
Crazy!!
SpazTaz and Kermitthefrog99 like this.

Project 365 - 2012: http://trisha2012.wordpress.com/

Thank you Jaidynsmum for my gorgeous siggy!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search