Any other first graders?

Forum: Moms of Gradeschoolers

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Moms of Gradeschoolers LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 3rd, 2012, 11:42 AM
Momof4Boyz's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to Momof4Boyz
I'm curious of what you're 1st graders are learning in school right now?

Last year we ended Kindergarten working on sight words and sounding out letters to make words - basically beginning reading. And we started 1st grade with spelling word lists that are pretty hard and expectations of him writing good sentences and being able to read fluently enough to do his work on his own. I look at this work and I'm like, did we skip a grade? Did I miss something? How did we go from sounding out C A T to say cat to reading directions? Eesh!
Then his teacher will send home notes that he's doing good and working hard but I'll get home papers where he has a U (unsatisfactory) and I'm like... this isn't doing good. I don't understand, ahh! We have a parent/teacher conference tomorrow so hopefully I'll leave feeling a little better about it all!

Facebook
October 3rd, 2012, 02:06 PM
LovinMyGirls's Avatar Proud Working Momma
Natalie is in first grade and I teach first grade. I cant speak to my school because we changed reading programs

Natalie learned a variety of words last year and was reading short books. She does have weekly spelling words that include 3-4 letters that are easily sounded out. They go with her reading series at school. She writes 2-3 sentences on her own about stories etc.

This week for example her words are pin, wig,lip six Short i etc.. 12 words total. She has nightly homework due Friday to practice.

very similar to what my classroom is doing.

"
No one else will ever know the strength of my love for you. After all, you are the only one who knows what my heart sounds like from the inside." AA&NJ
October 5th, 2012, 10:21 AM
AmAnDaMo's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have a first grader this year.

There's still such a huge range in terms of ability at this stage, so her teacher does all she can to accommodate everyone.

For example, the kids take a spelling pretest every week to determine their spelling words for the following week. If they score well on the pretest, they get a list of more challenging words, and that seems to work well. Last week, their focus was the short "e" sound, so most of the regular spelling words were 3 or 4-letter words that focused on that. The challenge words were things like "pencil", "sentence", "mending", "ended", etc. that still incorporated that short "e" sound, but went a little beyond that.

Reading time is rotating through stations with groups of kids at similar levels, and while some of that time is reading whatever books they'd like to read to themselves or to a partner, some of that time is devoted to reading books at their particular level and working on skills, whether that's phonics, comprehension, higher-level thinking or whatever is appropriate for the kids in the group.

Although some kids read way beyond grade level and could easily read their own directions, they are never required to. Their teacher has all abilities in mind and wants to make sure they all understand what they need to do for a particular assignment.

They just finished talking about addition, and have now moved onto subtraction in math. Their teacher allows them to use whatever strategy makes sense to them, whether that's drawing dots to solve the problem or using mental math. Problems are given according to ability, and while some kids are solving 5 + 3, others may be solving 15 + 23 or beyond.

They are expected to be able to write complete sentences with proper capitalization and punctuation, but that doesn't necessarily mean they are all able to do that. For the kids that can, they focus on things like commas, quotation marks, etc., while the kids who can't get extra help during writing time to get them there.

October 17th, 2012, 01:55 PM
Mostly sight words at the moment.
October 18th, 2012, 04:51 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I have 2 first graders but they go to Montessori school. They don't follow standard curriculum so I am not sure what help I can be.
October 18th, 2012, 06:19 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I noticed a big jump in between kindergarten and first grade as well. In Beth's class last year her teacher had them sit at tables, and the strong readers were allowed to read the instructions to the other kids.

Matt had an amazing kindergarten teacher, so he came out of last year already reading very well. We're homeschooling this year, but I am so thankful for all she taught him. Even with him reading well though I still have to go over the instructions with him. If I just give him some work he'll still be sitting there doing nothing ten minutes later. I try to have him read the instructions himself, then I read and explain, then we do a problem or two together, then I walk away and come back to check ina few minutes. I'm slowly working towards him doing things independently.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search