Book Fair Wish lists....

Forum: Moms of Gradeschoolers

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Momof4Boyz
  • 1 Post By LovinMyGirls
  • 1 Post By clouise

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Moms of Gradeschoolers LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 18th, 2012, 03:20 PM
MellieB's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I swear these are nothing more than guilt trips for parents.

Jas came home with one yesterday. There is now way we are getting her all five of the books on her list. She just had a birthday last week and we spent a ton there. The list even comes with how to pay on the back so all you have to do it fill in payment details and send it back. Not happening.

Thanks to Claire1979 for the amazing siggy.

Tweet Tweet Facebook Bloggin'

Our Angel Baby on Facebook

October 23rd, 2012, 07:12 AM
Momof4Boyz's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to Momof4Boyz
I totally agree, I hate it!!!! This year the teacher sends home those scholastic order forms but they are to be ordered ONLINE which I love because it's something we set aside and forget about! Or if I see something I think he'll love I can order it but it's not something he is told to bring back so he's not constantly on my case over it. I know they get free books from our orders and it benefits the school, but in the long run, it would cost less for me to just write a donation check!

I buy all our books, well the bulk of them, at the goodwill. They have endless shelves of kids books that are .49 - $1.49 and they are always in very good condition. So for $20 I get a lot of books that way vs if I buy from the school I might get 3 or 4 for that price.
SpazTaz likes this.

Facebook
October 23rd, 2012, 03:48 PM
MellieB's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
The scholastic ones comes home every 8 weeks or so. Normally I can get them out of her bag and away before she can see them. We got them some earlier in the year and will maybe get from the next lot so we can put them away for Christmas.

Thanks to Claire1979 for the amazing siggy.

Tweet Tweet Facebook Bloggin'

Our Angel Baby on Facebook

October 24th, 2012, 03:54 PM
LovinMyGirls's Avatar Proud Working Momma
Scholastic Book Orders have GREAT deals.. book fairs are expensive. I don't think it's that big of a deal about the wish list if you simply tell them they can't get books this time.
clouise likes this.

"
No one else will ever know the strength of my love for you. After all, you are the only one who knows what my heart sounds like from the inside." AA&NJ
October 24th, 2012, 05:01 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I agree on the wish list and yes our book fairs are very expensive too. I usually tell my son that I'm not buying any, too pricey, but if he wants to use his allowance money, b-day money, etc to buy them he is more than welcome to. Then he either chooses that it is worth it or not for himself and that usually solves the issue for us.
October 25th, 2012, 09:47 AM
Platinum Supermommy
You shouldn't feel guilty. I have worked the bookfair with the PTA before and I didn't see ANY kids come in to get all the books on their wish lists. Most parents let them pick one or two, or just came in with their child to make a choice. And those are just the ones who bought at all.
LovinMyGirls likes this.
October 29th, 2012, 05:32 AM
Jaidynsmum's Avatar Dreams do come true....
Send a message via MSN to Jaidynsmum
Glad our school only has one a year at the end of school year parents evening. My older three knew they only got a book if they got a good report and I'm instilling that in Jaidyn too.
October 31st, 2012, 11:33 AM
We just got one Monday. I spent a little time on Amazon and found that almost all of the books are available for about 20% less.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search