Anyone elses GS'er lose their stuff?

Forum: Moms of Gradeschoolers

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By GridMum

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Moms of Gradeschoolers LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 30th, 2012, 08:13 AM
Momof4Boyz's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to Momof4Boyz
ALL THE TIME?

Jay is constantly losing stuff, if we're lucky he'll find it in the lost and found but if it's something cool we never see it again. We've lost sweaters, lunch boxes, backpacks, books and the list goes on! I wish I knew how to make him focus or remember better, it's like he gets so distracted so easily that he just can't keep track of anything!

Facebook
November 30th, 2012, 11:24 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I label everything with permanent marker directly on the item (not on a piece of tape), so if it does end up in the lost and found we've gotten it back. BUT, no, he doesn't because when he forgets things at school like a homework folder, lunchbox, whatever then there are consequences for it at home such as 3 days of grounding, , sitting in his room and doing nothing over the weekend, extra chores, that type of thing. And, if he loses something and he doesn't get it back, we have told him that he will be working for neighbors and such to earn enough money to go buy it again, brand new, regardless of what it is. So, if he were to lose his jacket, then he'd have to work and earn whatever it costs for a new one to go and re-purchase it, in addition to grounding for X amount of time.

Only thing I can recall he lost was a water bottle (made by Polar Ice, it was a $12 water bottle!), at a football game that he was playing in because he didn't pick it up after the game. We never got it back. So, yep, he was 100% grounded over the weekend, had to sit on his bed and do absolutely nothing all day long, had early bedtime the entire weekend, and then the following weekend had to go out in our subdivision and earn the $12 in order to buy a new one by working for neighbors doing various chores they needed done. That's the only thing I can think of that he lost and never got back and that was a couple of years ago. He's 11 and been going to public school since he was 3 1/2.

Last edited by SpazTaz; November 30th, 2012 at 11:27 AM.
November 30th, 2012, 04:43 PM
LovinMyGirls's Avatar Proud Working Momma
Natalie had lost things here and there. A glove, hat etc. She's learned because these things do not get replaced. She does better now and keeps track of her stuff, as much as a 7 year old can.

"
No one else will ever know the strength of my love for you. After all, you are the only one who knows what my heart sounds like from the inside." AA&NJ
December 3rd, 2012, 08:06 AM
Platinum Supermommy
My DD - Not ALL the time, but quite often, yes! And it's drama melt down time when she does!! LOL
My DS - Not as often, he is a little better at keeping track of his things.

December 3rd, 2012, 03:40 PM
acupofjoe's Avatar Proud mama of three!
Send a message via Yahoo to acupofjoe
She has not lost anything at school yet that I know of.
December 4th, 2012, 05:25 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Oh yes, Matt leaves stuff everywhere.

Last year his teacher would send him home with at least three coats every Friday. I kept having to send him in a different one because he never brought the one he wore to school that day home. He also through out a bunch of tupperwares in the lunch room.
January 11th, 2013, 04:07 AM
Veteran
Yes! My 7yr old loses practically everything that she touches. She is starting to learn because not only are those items never replaced, but other items similar to that one is never purchased again in the future. For example, she had special headbands that were super cool (glittery, flowers coming off of them, etc.) and she lost every single one of them. Guess how many headbands she has now? None! And it will be a while before she gets them again because they are not a necessity....and she lost them when she should've kept up with them. So, RIP to the headbands (for a while anyway). Same thing with her rings, necklace and bracelets.

Good luck!
January 22nd, 2013, 10:20 PM
Yes, my son (9 yrs) loses stuff pretty often, but generally its stationery items (pencils, markers, scissors etc). Those are difficult to label, so we never know even if they were swiped by other kids. The new rule I've made is that I will invest in one set of stationery items (including some extras) at the start of the quarter. Once he exhausts that supply, he will need to use his weekly allowance to buy any more stuff he needs. I think this is helping him to be more careful with his stuff, as he's saving his allowance for a special toy.
SpazTaz likes this.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search